Replace some special F-Keys with regular F-Keys

March 12, 2005 5:01:42 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a Microsoft Desktop Elite for
Bluetooth, and I enjoy the functionality of the special F-
keys. However, some applications require me to use the
regular F-keys to do certain things.
I know that if I click F-Lock, it will return to the
normal functionality. However, that seems to be a bit
complicated for everyday use. I never use the "Undo"
and "Redo" f-keys, for example, so I'd like to know if I
can replace them with their respective F-keys (F2 or F3,)
or even better, with other F-keys such as F9.

Is that currently possible? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot.

PS, where can I sign up for beta IntelliPoint and
IntelliMouse betas?
March 12, 2005 9:26:46 AM

In news:637401c526ea$7da1b6c0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Meh <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a Microsoft Desktop Elite for
> Bluetooth, and I enjoy the functionality of the special F-
> keys. However, some applications require me to use the
> regular F-keys to do certain things.
> I know that if I click F-Lock, it will return to the
> normal functionality. However, that seems to be a bit
> complicated for everyday use. I never use the "Undo"
> and "Redo" f-keys, for example, so I'd like to know if I
> can replace them with their respective F-keys (F2 or F3,)
> or even better, with other F-keys such as F9.
>
> Is that currently possible? If so, how can I do that?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> PS, where can I sign up for beta IntelliPoint and
> IntelliMouse betas?

I don't know about the betas specifically but there's the regular Microsoft
beta site here:

https://beta.microsoft.com

As for your problem? You need (I think) to either get a third party utility
or use the applications provided to change those and the application only
allows some functionality. There's always remapkey (if that's still
available) that you can use. I found, and I hate to say this, the best
solution was to get used to the changes. Sorry but having used similar
keyboards for a while (I'd be bothered if I couldn't adjust the mouse) and
finally being used to hitting the F-Lock key before pressing the Shift +
Insert instead as I'm not used to ctrl + v to paste I can say that like
using DVORAK keyboard it's easier to adjust then to change it.

Galen
March 12, 2005 9:26:47 AM

Thanks for your quick response Galen.

Unfortunately, the bundled software which comes with the
keyboard doesn't allow me to use the regular F-keys
instead of a "special" one, if I don't enable F-lock.
I tried to use remapkey, but it doesn't do any good; the
F-keys override it.

I guess I will have to adjust. If any of you know a
Microsoft employee, please suggest him/her to add to the
Intellitype an option to replace a specific F-key with a
regular one, say Redo (F3) with the regular "F9"
behavior. Or tell me how to suggest it, and I will do it.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:45:51 PM

This will make the function keys default.
http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

!