MSI KT6V: how to use SATA without any RAID-functions

Hi,

I did build up my workstation using raid functionality at sata-connectors.
It was working fine but now I don't need raid-functionality anymore ...

So is possible to continue using one sata drive only? I didn't find any
jumpers to switch off raid function...
--
thanx Michael

mark

"Michael Kensy" <vornamePUNKTnachname@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I did build up my workstation using raid functionality at sata-connectors.
> It was working fine but now I don't need raid-functionality anymore ...
>
> So is possible to continue using one sata drive only? I didn't find any
> jumpers to switch off raid function...
> --
> thanx Michael

You don't have to use raid on the KT6V and can still use both SATA drives,
just use the raid util to break the mirror....be aware though that if you
were using Raid 0 , you will loose all data on both disk. Raid 1 your
alright, you will just loose the data on the mirrored disk...the master will
stay.

Hi,

Sa, the 30. of Apr in 2005 mentioned Michael Kensy:
> I did build up my workstation using raid functionality at sata-connectors.
> It was working fine but now I don't need raid-functionality anymore ...
>
> So is possible to continue using one sata drive only? I didn't find any
> jumpers to switch off raid function...

board: MSI KT6V
--
cu Michael

Hi Mark,

Sa, the 30. of Apr in 2005 mentioned Mark:
> "Michael Kensy" <vornamePUNKTnachname@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> So is possible to continue using one sata drive only? I didn't find any
>> jumpers to switch off raid function...
> You don't have to use raid on the KT6V and can still use both SATA drives,
> just use the raid util to break the mirror....be aware though that if you
> were using Raid 0 , you will loose all data on both disk. Raid 1 your
> alright, you will just loose the data on the mirrored disk...the master will
> stay.

ok, but how do I get my computer booting from SATA disk? As I remember
there is no selection for SATA drives separately.

Secondly I think I should break raid-1-array at it's bios, shouldn't I?
--
thanx Michael

mark

Break the raid in the bios is fine....set the SATA drive with the operating
system in the boot order in the bios also and your on your way.
> Hi Mark,
>
> Sa, the 30. of Apr in 2005 mentioned Mark:
>> "Michael Kensy" <vornamePUNKTnachname@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> So is possible to continue using one sata drive only? I didn't find any
>>> jumpers to switch off raid function...
>> You don't have to use raid on the KT6V and can still use both SATA
>> drives,
>> just use the raid util to break the mirror....be aware though that if you
>> were using Raid 0 , you will loose all data on both disk. Raid 1 your
>> alright, you will just loose the data on the mirrored disk...the master
>> will
>> stay.
>

> ok, but how do I get my computer booting from SATA disk? As I remember
> there is no selection for SATA drives separately.
>
> Secondly I think I should break raid-1-array at it's bios, shouldn't I?
> --
> thanx Michael

Sorry Mark,

for asking again ...

Sonntag, den 01 Mai 2005 schrieb Mark:
> set the SATA drive with the operating system in the boot order
> in the bios also

what does that mean... may be my english is to bad ? How could I use OS to
change boot order? The only way I know to change boot order is at its
bios... but I can' remember any option for sata drives there
--
thanx Michael

mark

You should see the serial number for your SATA's in the bios boot order.

> Sorry Mark,
>
> for asking again ...
>
> Sonntag, den 01 Mai 2005 schrieb Mark:
>> set the SATA drive with the operating system in the boot order
>> in the bios also
>
> what does that mean... may be my english is to bad ? How could I use OS to
> change boot order? The only way I know to change boot order is at its
> bios... but I can' remember any option for sata drives there
> --
> thanx Michael

Hi Mark,

Mo, the 02. of Mai in 2005 mentioned Mark:
> You should see the serial number for your SATA's in the bios boot order.

no, I don't ... but I should tell you I didn't break raid arry up to now.
I don't wanna destroy raid before I'am really sure about I will get SATA
drives working without using raid.
Do you know if I have to change/didable some different bios options like
[Integrated Peripherals], [VT 8237 PATA] or [VT 8237 SATA] ?
--
thanx Michael

mark

Michael....When you go into the bios, select "advanced bio features". Next
select Boot Sequence....then you should see your Raid0 and Raid1
drives...select the one that has the operating system instaled on it. It's
probably the Raid0 drive if your running a raid mirror.

> Hi Mark,
>
> Mo, the 02. of Mai in 2005 mentioned Mark:
>> You should see the serial number for your SATA's in the bios boot order.
>

> no, I don't ... but I should tell you I didn't break raid arry up to now.
> I don't wanna destroy raid before I'am really sure about I will get SATA
> drives working without using raid.
> Do you know if I have to change/didable some different bios options like
> [Integrated Peripherals], [VT 8237 PATA] or [VT 8237 SATA] ?
> --
> thanx Michael

Hi Mark,

sorry for being that careful ...

> Michael....When you go into the bios, select "advanced bio features". Next
> select Boot Sequence....then you should see your Raid0 and Raid1
> drives...select the one that has the operating system instaled on it. It's
> probably the Raid0 drive if your running a raid mirror.

.... but I didn't wanna loose any data. Now I did switch off mirror drive
and it works. Booting up I run into raid bios tool, choose continue boot
and did select 'BBS-0:' as boot drive (till now there isn't any
serialnumber)

Sorry again but I do have some terrible experiences with MSI mainboards. I
did loose data two times already. One time using msi bios updating tool,
second time using core center.
--
Gruss Michael