adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi

My friend's computer is dead.

I tried to put my CPU in his computer, it can boot into BIOS and it seems
fine.

I tried to put his CPU into my computer, it can also boot into BIOS, but it
freezes at the windows startup screeen. I doubt it's because of the CPU
problem. But how come it can boot into BIOS?

The strange thing is when he put his CPU back into his computer, it doesn't
even start, not even the fans. Why so?

His CPU is AMD 2000, his power supply is 250W.

Thanks in advance.

"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My friend's computer is dead.
>
> I tried to put my CPU in his computer, it can boot into BIOS and it seems
> fine.
>
> I tried to put his CPU into my computer, it can also boot into BIOS, but
> it
> freezes at the windows startup screeen. I doubt it's because of the CPU
> problem. But how come it can boot into BIOS?

Why would you doubt the CPU? It doesn't seem to work in two computers, one
of which you know is otherwise good. Do you both have exactly the same CPU?
If so his is probably bad. If not then some motherboard settings may need to
be changed for his to work in your system.

> The strange thing is when he put his CPU back into his computer, it
> doesn't
> even start, not even the fans. Why so?
>
> His CPU is AMD 2000, his power supply is 250W.

This is probably the root cause of your problems. Get a better power supply,
at least 350 watts. From your description of the problem and the
troubleshooting steps you have taken so far it sounds like his CPU may be
bad, his power supply may be bad (it is too weak in any case), and his
motherboard may be bad. Did his computer used to work OK and then suddenly
stop? Has he recently made any changes to his system?

Kerry

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

His computer was working fine.

I'm just wondering what will happen if the CPU fan is not working? Can the
computer start at all?

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
> "Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > My friend's computer is dead.
> >
> > I tried to put my CPU in his computer, it can boot into BIOS and it
seems
> > fine.
> >
> > I tried to put his CPU into my computer, it can also boot into BIOS, but
> > it
> > freezes at the windows startup screeen. I doubt it's because of the CPU
> > problem. But how come it can boot into BIOS?
> >

> Why would you doubt the CPU? It doesn't seem to work in two computers, one
> of which you know is otherwise good. Do you both have exactly the same
CPU?
> If so his is probably bad. If not then some motherboard settings may need
> be changed for his to work in your system.
>
> > The strange thing is when he put his CPU back into his computer, it
> > doesn't
> > even start, not even the fans. Why so?
> >
> > His CPU is AMD 2000, his power supply is 250W.
> >

> This is probably the root cause of your problems. Get a better power
supply,
> at least 350 watts. From your description of the problem and the
> troubleshooting steps you have taken so far it sounds like his CPU may be
> bad, his power supply may be bad (it is too weak in any case), and his
> motherboard may be bad. Did his computer used to work OK and then suddenly
> stop? Has he recently made any changes to his system?
>
> Kerry

If the CPU fan is not working and it's an AMD CPU then it will overheat and
fry in seconds. If it's an Intel P4 CPU then it will simply work at an
incredibly slow rate as its built in thermal protection will activate.

NEVER run a CPU without a heatsink and fan. Unless of course you really
like visiting your local PC store and parting with your $s.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> His computer was working fine.
>
> I'm just wondering what will happen if the CPU fan is not working? Can the
> computer start at all?
>
> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> "Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > My friend's computer is dead.
>> >
>> > I tried to put my CPU in his computer, it can boot into BIOS and it
> seems
>> > fine.
>> >
>> > I tried to put his CPU into my computer, it can also boot into BIOS,
>> > but
>> > it
>> > freezes at the windows startup screeen. I doubt it's because of the CPU
>> > problem. But how come it can boot into BIOS?
>> >

>> Why would you doubt the CPU? It doesn't seem to work in two computers,
>> one
>> of which you know is otherwise good. Do you both have exactly the same
> CPU?
>> If so his is probably bad. If not then some motherboard settings may need
>> be changed for his to work in your system.
>>
>> > The strange thing is when he put his CPU back into his computer, it
>> > doesn't
>> > even start, not even the fans. Why so?
>> >
>> > His CPU is AMD 2000, his power supply is 250W.
>> >

>> This is probably the root cause of your problems. Get a better power
> supply,
>> at least 350 watts. From your description of the problem and the
>> troubleshooting steps you have taken so far it sounds like his CPU may be
>> bad, his power supply may be bad (it is too weak in any case), and his
>> motherboard may be bad. Did his computer used to work OK and then
>> suddenly
>> stop? Has he recently made any changes to his system?
>>
>> Kerry

"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> His computer was working fine.
>
> I'm just wondering what will happen if the CPU fan is not working? Can the
> computer start at all?

It should at least start up from a cold state. Don't let it run for long
without a fan. Some motherboard/Athlon combinations can be damaged if the
CPU fan quits and the CPU overheats. If this happened it may have damaged
the CPU and/or motherboard. From what you have described the most likely
cause is the power supply. It is very easy to replace in most computers. The
possible exceptions are some HP/Compaq, eMachine, and Dell models which
take a custom power supply from the manufacturer. If possible try replacing
the power supply with one rated for at least 300 watts and preferably 350
watts or better.

Kerry

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Can I ask what will happen if the power supply is not working or it's too
low voltage? Not even start the computer? Or start for a while then stopped?
Will it damage my CPU or motherboard?

When I put his CPU into my computer, it starts until the windows logo
screen, then freeze. Sometimes, it turns into blue screen. Why so?

> Can I ask what will happen if the power supply is not working or it's too
> low voltage? Not even start the computer? Or start for a while then
> stopped?
> Will it damage my CPU or motherboard?

Any or all of the above can happen.

> When I put his CPU into my computer, it starts until the windows logo
> screen, then freeze. Sometimes, it turns into blue screen. Why so?

Per my previous post: Do you both have exactly the same CPU? If yes, then
his CPU is probably bad. If no, then you may have to change some settings on
your motherboard for his CPU to work in your system. Computers are complex
machines with many variables. The reason I ask so many questions is to try
to help you determine what is wrong. Without the answers to my questions my
answers to you are at best a guess. As I said in my last post from what you
have described so far it sounds like your friend's computer has an
inadequate power supply that may or may not be working and possibly a bad
CPU and motherboard. The best troubleshooting step at this point is to try a
new power supply. A good power supply is not that expensive < $100.00 and if
his is rated at 250 watts it is probably to low for this CPU. A lot depends
on what is installed in the computer (i.e how many hard drives, CDROM
drives, video card?) and what brand his computer is.

Kerry

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Thx for your reply. I have told him to try with another power supply. Hope
he will get back to me with good news. Thanks for your help.

Our cpu is not exactly the same. We both AMD cpu, but his one is faster then
mine. Why is this important?

I just don't quite get the picture here.... I put my CPU into his computer,
it can pass the BIOS test.
But I put his CPU into his computer, it doesn't even start, fans is not
working at all.
When I put his CPU into my motherboard, it boot up to the windows logo
screen.
I am just so confusing... anyway.. I wait for his response first, see how he
go with the power supply first.
Thanks for your help.

> Thx for your reply. I have told him to try with another power supply. Hope
> he will get back to me with good news. Thanks for your help.
>
> Our cpu is not exactly the same. We both AMD cpu, but his one is faster
> then
> mine. Why is this important?
>
> I just don't quite get the picture here.... I put my CPU into his
> computer,
> it can pass the BIOS test.
> But I put his CPU into his computer, it doesn't even start, fans is not
> working at all.
> When I put his CPU into my motherboard, it boot up to the windows logo
> screen.
> I am just so confusing... anyway.. I wait for his response first, see how
> he
> go with the power supply first.
> Thanks for your help.

Different CPU's need different settings for the motherboard. The bus
frequency may be different. Voltages may be different. Some motherboards
will autodetect the CPU and set themselves accordingly. Some motherboards
need to have the settings changed via dip switches, jumpers, BIOS settings
or any combination of the three. If the motherboard isn't set right the
system may not work or it may damage the CPU.

It now sounds like his CPU is probably OK. If his CPU is faster than yours
it probably uses more current causing his power supply to fail. With your
CPU installed in his computer there is less strain on the power supply
causing it to work a little better but still ultimately fail. His CPU is
different than yours. Windows needs some different code to deal with it. His
CPU would probably work in your system after doing a repair install of
Windows XP but then your CPU may not work properly. This is all conjecture
based on what you have told me so far. It is also possible that his
motherboard is bad. This could cause the same symptoms.

Good luck and let us know what the problem was once you get it going.

Kerry

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> "Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Can I ask what will happen if the power supply is not working or it's
> too
>> > low voltage? Not even start the computer? Or start for a while then
>> > stopped?
>> > Will it damage my CPU or motherboard?
>>
>> Any or all of the above can happen.
>>

>> > When I put his CPU into my computer, it starts until the windows logo
>> > screen, then freeze. Sometimes, it turns into blue screen. Why so?
>>
>> Per my previous post: Do you both have exactly the same CPU? If yes, then
>> his CPU is probably bad. If no, then you may have to change some settings
> on
>> your motherboard for his CPU to work in your system. Computers are
>> complex
>> machines with many variables. The reason I ask so many questions is to
>> try
>> to help you determine what is wrong. Without the answers to my questions
> my
>> answers to you are at best a guess. As I said in my last post from what
> you
>> have described so far it sounds like your friend's computer has an
>> inadequate power supply that may or may not be working and possibly a bad
>> CPU and motherboard. The best troubleshooting step at this point is to
>> try
>> new power supply. A good power supply is not that expensive < $100.00 and
> if
>> his is rated at 250 watts it is probably to low for this CPU. A lot
> depends
>> on what is installed in the computer (i.e how many hard drives, CDROM
>> drives, video card?) and what brand his computer is.
>>
>> Kerry

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Thanks very much for your detailed response. I will certainly get back to
you (but my friend is a slow person, as he got 2 computers, but I will try
to force him to test it out)
Can I ask one more question? When you say "Some motherboards need to have
the settings changed via dip switches, jumpers, BIOS settings or any
combination of the three.", why would a repair install help in this
situation? What does a repair install do actually?

Thanks in advance.

> Thanks very much for your detailed response. I will certainly get back to
> you (but my friend is a slow person, as he got 2 computers, but I will try
> to force him to test it out)
> Can I ask one more question? When you say "Some motherboards need to have
> the settings changed via dip switches, jumpers, BIOS settings or any
> combination of the three.", why would a repair install help in this
> situation? What does a repair install do actually?

A repair install will cause Windows to redetect the hardware and install the
proper drivers. This may be needed when changing the CPU to one that has a
different feature set. Changing the motherboard settings is a totally
different step from the repair install. Changing the motherboard settings
would select the correct voltage and bus frequency for the different CPU.
This has to be done for the motherboard to properly recognize the different
CPU and has nothing to do with Windows. If you are not 100% sure of what you
are doing, DO NOT change any motherboard settings. This can permanently
damage your CPU or motherboard.

Kerry

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Just got one more question.
When he put his cpu into his computer, the computer not started at all, not
even the fans. Will a weak power supply combine with a strong CPU cause this
sympton?
Thanks very mcuh.

> [...]
questions
> > my
> >> answers to you are at best a guess. As I said in my last post from what
> > you
> >> have described so far it sounds like your friend's computer has an
> >> inadequate power supply that may or may not be working and possibly a
bad
> >> CPU and motherboard. The best troubleshooting step at this point is to
> >> try
> >> new power supply. A good power supply is not that expensive < $100.00
and
> > if
> >> his is rated at 250 watts it is probably to low for this CPU. A lot
> > depends
> >> on what is installed in the computer (i.e how many hard drives, CDROM
> >> drives, video card?) and what brand his computer is.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Just got one more question.
> When he put his cpu into his computer, the computer not started at all,
> not
> even the fans. Will a weak power supply combine with a strong CPU cause
> this
> sympton?
> Thanks very mcuh.
>
> "Kerry Brown"

No. If the CPU's fan does not run it is too hot and the motherboard is
turning it off before it turns into toast. Get a new and adequate cooling
fan for it before you try anything else!!!!!

Richard.

"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got one more question.
> When he put his cpu into his computer, the computer not started at all,
> not
> even the fans. Will a weak power supply combine with a strong CPU cause
> this
> sympton?
> Thanks very mcuh.

Yes, it could. It could also be other things, like a bad motherboard, CPU
overheating, ie no CPU fan or fan not working.

Kerry