Protection against hard disk failure

Malcolm

I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
entire pc against a hard disk failure.

I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the best
approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.

Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file on
the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my pc
to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced it
with a new internal hard disk?

Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive? How
do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to boot
from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?

Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

I also use Ghost, But I use its clone function rather than making an
image of the drive. If my main drive fails I just swap the lumper on the
backup drive to make it the primary and I'm good to go again, no files
to copy ar anything like that.

The problem with setting up a mirror like a raid drive is that a virus
or some other bad event is on both drives, that's not too good a backup
strategy. My second drive is running in a removeable tray so a quick
turn of the key keeps it out of harms way until I want to clone again.
You can find Ghost 2003 on ebay for less than $20.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:35:01 -0800, Malcolm wrote:

> I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
> entire pc against a hard disk failure.
>
> I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the best
> approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.

Failure of a drive can be worked around by purchasing a RAID controller
card and setting up a MIRROR so that one drive is a mirror image of the
other. This is not a backup, it's a means to protect against hardware
failures. If either drive dies the other takes over.

Since XP can't do this on it's own you need to purchase a card that
supports both drives and RAID-1 (A promise TX2 card might work).

[snip]
> Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.

For data protection, not the same a hardware fault protection, a simple
backup or copy to any other device is acceptable.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

br549

Malcolm, purchase one the imaging programs such as ghost. You can make an
image of your hard drive to the external disk. In the event of a failure,
you install a new disk and restore from the image you created.

"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
entire pc against a hard disk failure.

I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the best
approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.

Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file on
the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my pc
to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced it
with a new internal hard disk?

Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive? How
do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to boot
from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?

Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.

Thank you

Malcolm

Hi

Thanks for the response. This sounds good. I've had a quick look on the web
and there seems to be a lot of this type of software around. I would need
something simple and easy to use. Is there anywhere I can get a comparison of
this type of software. Or does anyone have any recommendations?

Is the case of a failure and replacement of my hard disk, how would I then
be able to instruct the pc to restore from the image I created?

Many thanks

"BR549" wrote:

> Malcolm, purchase one the imaging programs such as ghost. You can make an
> image of your hard drive to the external disk. In the event of a failure,
> you install a new disk and restore from the image you created.
>

> "Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
> entire pc against a hard disk failure.
>
> I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the best
> approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.
>
> Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file on
> the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my pc
> to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced it
> with a new internal hard disk?
>
> Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive? How
> do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to boot
> from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?
>
> Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you

www.symantec.com

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=27674&CID=0&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Ghost 9.0 is a Windows based program versus Ghost 2003 which is DOS based.

The Ghost 9.0 recovery disk is the same cdrom disk you install the program
from. Therefore the cd drive must be in the boot sequence. I backup to an
internal hdd as well as periodic backups to DVD+RW's.

hth

r.

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the response. This sounds good. I've had a quick look on the
> web
> and there seems to be a lot of this type of software around. I would need
> something simple and easy to use. Is there anywhere I can get a comparison
> of
> this type of software. Or does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Is the case of a failure and replacement of my hard disk, how would I then
> be able to instruct the pc to restore from the image I created?
>
> Many thanks
>
> "BR549" wrote:
>
>> Malcolm, purchase one the imaging programs such as ghost. You can make
>> an
>> image of your hard drive to the external disk. In the event of a
>> failure,
>> you install a new disk and restore from the image you created.
>>

>> "Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
>> entire pc against a hard disk failure.
>>
>> I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the
>> best
>> approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.
>>
>> Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file
>> on
>> the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my
>> pc
>> to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced
>> it
>> with a new internal hard disk?
>>
>> Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive?
>> How
>> do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to
>> boot
>> from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?
>>
>> Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you

br549

I don't know of any comparisons you can look at. I started out with Drive
Image quite a few years back and now have switched to Ghost. What I did was
to create a dos bootable disk with the ghost application on it, it all fits
on 1 floppy. When I want to create an image I stick in the floppy, boot the
pc, the ghost application starts and a couple of mouse clicks later the
image creation starts. I image to a 2nd internal hard drive and have also
imaged to DVD+RW's. To recover you just install the new disk, no need to
partition or format it, boot the ghost floppy and select restore image.
Depending on the image size your back up in running in less than an hour.
Can't beat it with a stick.

"BR549" wrote:

> Malcolm, purchase one the imaging programs such as ghost. You can make an
> image of your hard drive to the external disk. In the event of a failure,
> you install a new disk and restore from the image you created.
>

> "Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
> entire pc against a hard disk failure.
>
> I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the
> best
> approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.
>
> Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file
> on
> the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my
> pc
> to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced
> it
> with a new internal hard disk?
>
> Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive?
> How
> do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to boot
> from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?
>
> Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you

Drive Image and Ghost are now one and the same, every since Symantec
bought Drive Image from PowerQuest.

Also, there is no need to create a bootable floppy anymore. The Ghost
CD is bootable and can restore the image.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:11:56 GMT, "BR549" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote:

>I don't know of any comparisons you can look at. I started out with Drive
>Image quite a few years back and now have switched to Ghost. What I did was
>to create a dos bootable disk with the ghost application on it, it all fits
>on 1 floppy. When I want to create an image I stick in the floppy, boot the
>pc, the ghost application starts and a couple of mouse clicks later the
>image creation starts. I image to a 2nd internal hard drive and have also
>imaged to DVD+RW's. To recover you just install the new disk, no need to
>partition or format it, boot the ghost floppy and select restore image.
>Depending on the image size your back up in running in less than an hour.
>Can't beat it with a stick.
>

>"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>Hi
>
>Thanks for the response. This sounds good. I've had a quick look on the web
>and there seems to be a lot of this type of software around. I would need
>something simple and easy to use. Is there anywhere I can get a comparison
>of
>this type of software. Or does anyone have any recommendations?
>
>Is the case of a failure and replacement of my hard disk, how would I then
>be able to instruct the pc to restore from the image I created?
>
>Many thanks
>
>"BR549" wrote:
>
>> Malcolm, purchase one the imaging programs such as ghost. You can make an
>> image of your hard drive to the external disk. In the event of a failure,
>> you install a new disk and restore from the image you created.
>>

>> "Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I regularly take copies of my own user data but I now want to protect my
>> entire pc against a hard disk failure.
>>
>> I have bought a 160GB external hard disk and I want to know what is the
>> best
>> approach for protecting against failure of my c: drive.
>>
>> Should I use the Windows XP Pro Backup utility and store the backup file
>> on
>> the external drive and create a rescue disk? If so, how do I instruct my
>> pc
>> to restore from this backup if my c: drive has failed and I have replaced
>> it
>> with a new internal hard disk?
>>
>> Should I make a mirror image copy of my c: drive on the external drive?
>> How
>> do I do this (just copy all of the files?) and how do I tell my pc to boot
>> from this drive if my hard disk fails (as I won't have a rescue disk)?
>>
>> Some advice on the best way to protect my pc would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you

br549

Since my boot order is floppy, then hard drive, I find that it takes longer
to boot, go into the bios and change the boot order and then save and reboot
again. I just insert the floppy and boot. I like to keep the cd out of the
normal boot sequence to save time.
Either way works.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:06:14 GMT, "BR549" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote:

>Since my boot order is floppy, then hard drive, I find that it takes longer
>to boot, go into the bios and change the boot order and then save and reboot
>again. I just insert the floppy and boot. I like to keep the cd out of the
>normal boot sequence to save time.
>Either way works.

We are talking about a major failure and recovering from such. In
that scenario, changing the boot order, which can be done in about 20
seconds, is the least of your worries. Saving time should also not be
in your worry list!

The time you think you save in a floppy boot is probably lost by the
relative slowness of booting from the floppy vs booting from the CD
anyway.