KT3 Ultra2 and XP 3000

I have an KT3 Ultra2 ( MS 6380E Rev 1.0) motherboard that I have run
fine with an XP 1800 cpu. After reading on MSI's site that the XP
3000 was tested to work with this board I purchased it from NewEgg.

I tried with my old Bios and of course that worked but showed the
processor as being an XP 2100. I tried changing clock freq to 166 and
the system wouldn't boot and I had to clear bios to fix.

I then went and downloaded Bios version 5.7 and flashed being that it
was listed as supporting the 3000 processor.
Well on reboot it showed correctly on the boot screen as the 3000 but
would only continue to reboot and not let me into XP Pro.
I went back to the bios and changed clock speed back down to 133mhz
and it now boots into XP ok but shows as being a 2200 Processor.
I've searched high and low on the MSI site and have come up empty on
what else to try.

I should also mention - I downloaded and installed the newest Live
UPdate 3 program and had horrible results - just trying to launch
the utility causes my system to reboot.

I'm tempted to try upping the clock speed 1mhz at a time but I don't
want to fry anything.

Any help I can get from you seasoned pro's would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--

Sultan

Hello Sultan,

I have the same board with bios version 5.7 running solid with AMD Athlon XP
3000 at 166 MHz.
When I installed the cpu the system booted but stopped at starting Win XP
Prof. I took out one of two ram modules (samsung 2700) and the systems runs
without problems. Then I tried with both ram modules with slower ram-timings
and the system worked without any problems since nearly two years.

Wottny

"news.btx.dtag.de" <Joerg.Wollenhaupt@t-online.de> wrote in

> Hello Sultan,
>
> I have the same board with bios version 5.7 running solid with AMD
> Athlon XP 3000 at 166 MHz.
> When I installed the cpu the system booted but stopped at starting
Win
> XP Prof. I took out one of two ram modules (samsung 2700) and the
> systems runs without problems. Then I tried with both ram modules
with
> slower ram-timings and the system worked without any problems since
> nearly two years.
>
> Wottny

Thanks Wottny - but how do I adjust the ram timings? MSI support also
said it was my Ram to blame so what you say makes sense but I don't
know where/how to adjust.

--

Sultan