K8N Neo2 Plat. Ram Question

xyz

I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2 Platinum.
Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots? Or do I have
to stick with either all dual or all single?

I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in the
third slot.

Thanks

"xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots? Or do I
>have to stick with either all dual or all single?
>
> I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in the
> third slot.
>
> Thanks

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb

There's no such thing as "dual channel" ram.

xyz

Are you saying that it doesn't matter that the RAM has the words "Dual
Channel" printed on it?

Does that just mean that they are a matched pair?

Thanks Again

Linkage: http://www.pctechguide.com/03memory_Dual-channel_DDR.htm

On Mon, 9 May 2005 23:33:08 -0400, "xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote:

>I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots? Or do I have
>to stick with either all dual or all single?
>
>I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in the
>third slot.
>
>Thanks

Memory installation is a bit confusing on this board, since MSI
doesn't use the "same color means dual channel" technique that other
mfgs use.

To get dual channel, install two identical dimms in the first two
slots (green and purple). If running single channel, install into the
green slots first.

If your dimms are single-sided, you can populate all four slots and
get DDR400 speed. If you have double-sided memory, then populating
all four slots will automatically drop you down to DDR333.

There's some info here:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607
that helps explain.

>>Thanks
>>

> Memory installation is a bit confusing on this board, since MSI
> doesn't use the "same color means dual channel" technique that other
> mfgs use.
>
> To get dual channel, install two identical dimms in the first two
> slots (green and purple). If running single channel, install into the
> green slots first.

I don't understand why this is so confusing. The manual clearly shows
where Channel A and channel B slots are for dual channel. If it is
that difficult to figure out these people should not be building their
own computers.

xyz

"xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots? Or do I
>have to stick with either all dual or all single?
>
> I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in the
> third slot.
>
> Thanks

Thanks for all of the help,

I picked up another 512mb RAM today. I'm assuming that single or double
sided means that the chips are only on one side or that they are on both
sides. The 512's are double sided. The 256mb pqi's seem to be single sided
(The heat sink makes it a little hard to tell). I put the double sided
512's in the first two slots ant the single sided 256's in the second two
slots. It booted up okay and device manager shows 1.5gb of RAM. So far it
seems good.

Is this an okay combination?

Thanks

I have them installed in the First green and purple and it says AI am only
getting 200 Mhz. My RAM is 512x2 duel channel.

I don't get it? Is there something in the bios that needs to be turned on?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:30:03 -0400, Rod Williams <Rodf@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>>>Thanks
>>>

>> Memory installation is a bit confusing on this board, since MSI
>> doesn't use the "same color means dual channel" technique that other
>> mfgs use.
>>
>> To get dual channel, install two identical dimms in the first two
>> slots (green and purple). If running single channel, install into the
>> green slots first.
>>
>I don't understand why this is so confusing. The manual clearly shows
>where Channel A and channel B slots are for dual channel. If it is
>that difficult to figure out these people should not be building their
>own computers.

It's confusing because all other board mfgs set up the memory slot
colors so that putting two dimms in the same color slot = dual
channel. And in my opinion that makes sense and is very clear to the
user.

I don't understand why you don't understand. :p

xyz

"xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message

> "xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>>I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2
>>Platinum. Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots?
>>Or do I have to stick with either all dual or all single?
>>
>> I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in
>> the third slot.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Thanks for all of the help,
>
> I picked up another 512mb RAM today. I'm assuming that single or double
> sided means that the chips are only on one side or that they are on both
> sides. The 512's are double sided. The 256mb pqi's seem to be single
> sided (The heat sink makes it a little hard to tell). I put the double
> sided 512's in the first two slots ant the single sided 256's in the
> second two slots. It booted up okay and device manager shows 1.5gb of
> RAM. So far it seems good.
>
> Is this an okay combination?
>
> Thanks

Now I've seen what's read during boot up. This combination puts me down to
DDR333 instead of DDR400.

Is it better to have 1gb @DDR400 or 1.5gb @DDR333 ?

> "xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>>>I have 2 - 256mb pqi PC3200 Dual Channel RAM chips in my K8N Neo2
>>>Platinum. Can I put 2 - 512mb (not dual channel) in the other two slots?
>>>Or do I have to stick with either all dual or all single?
>>>
>>> I think I've already discovered that I can't install just one 512mb in
>>> the third slot.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> Thanks for all of the help,
>>
>> I picked up another 512mb RAM today. I'm assuming that single or double
>> sided means that the chips are only on one side or that they are on both
>> sides. The 512's are double sided. The 256mb pqi's seem to be single
>> sided (The heat sink makes it a little hard to tell). I put the double
>> sided 512's in the first two slots ant the single sided 256's in the
>> second two slots. It booted up okay and device manager shows 1.5gb of
>> RAM. So far it seems good.
>>
>> Is this an okay combination?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Now I've seen what's read during boot up. This combination puts me down
> to DDR333 instead of DDR400.
>
> Is it better to have 1gb @DDR400 or 1.5gb @DDR333 ?

1GB DDR 400, unless you are doing some "major" video editing, etc. Or
unless you plan on running your CPU at a 166 FSB (Memory at 333 DDR) Best
performance comes from running the FSB IN sync with the memory speed, even
if it's a the slower speed.