System Restore will not run after new hard drive install

I installed a new hard drive on my WinXP Home system. Instead of restoring
the system from a disk image, I used Western Digital's Disk Copy utility
that came with the new drive. After a few minor tweaks everything runs
normal except System Restore. When I try to start the System Restore
application, I get the generic "System Restore Application has encountered a
problem and needs to close........". The System Restore service is shown as
running.

I notice that the System Volume Information folder is inacessible - I can't
access it, delete it or rename it. All efforts return an error that the
folder cannot be accessed. Anyone know of a fix for this issue?

Regards,

Mack L.
1 answer Last reply
More about system restore hard drive install

    This should help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531
    Treeman

    "Mack L." wrote:

    > I installed a new hard drive on my WinXP Home system. Instead of restoring
    > the system from a disk image, I used Western Digital's Disk Copy utility
    > that came with the new drive. After a few minor tweaks everything runs
    > normal except System Restore. When I try to start the System Restore
    > application, I get the generic "System Restore Application has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close........". The System Restore service is shown as
    > running.
    >
    > I notice that the System Volume Information folder is inacessible - I can't
    > access it, delete it or rename it. All efforts return an error that the
    > folder cannot be accessed. Anyone know of a fix for this issue?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mack L.

Hard Drives System Restore Windows XP