Windows Media Player can't play avi's?

July 17, 2004 1:32:28 AM

is WMP just for web content and MP3's?

thanks for any help.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:32:29 AM

The built in Windows Media Player on Pocket PCs plays WMAs and MP3s (audio)
and WMVs (Video). To play other formats you will need a third party
program, or convert your files to a format that is supported. The media
player also does not accept other codecs so is not extensible as the desktop
version is. I'll leave it to others to suggest their favorite third party
media players.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Johnny" <jfergus1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> is WMP just for web content and MP3's?
>
> thanks for any help.

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:35:37 AM

One other option (free too) is to download Microsoft Windows Media Encoder
from...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...

Converting an AVI file to WMV will save a lot of space. And, you can choose
a CODEC to optimize it for viewing on a Pocket PC.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 76NHV5aEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> The built in Windows Media Player on Pocket PCs plays WMAs and MP3s
(audio)
> and WMVs (Video). To play other formats you will need a third party
> program, or convert your files to a format that is supported. The media
> player also does not accept other codecs so is not extensible as the
desktop
> version is. I'll leave it to others to suggest their favorite third party
> media players.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Johnny" <jfergus1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > is WMP just for web content and MP3's?
> >
> > thanks for any help.

July 26, 2004 3:47:45 AM

I need PPC media player 8 upgrade please help.
MS site no longer have it.
Thanks

!