XP Home Edition - Video Card Installation Issue

I have a Dell Dimension L1000R that has integrated video. I am trying to
install a new video card. I checked the BIOS and set the video display to
look at the PCI not the Onboard. The monitor is hooked up to the video card.
When I boot up, I see the the quick info about the card, the Dell screen and
the screen that shows XP starting to load. Then the screen goes black and
nothing else. The card I am trying to install is a GEFORCE MX4000 PCI.

It looks like an issue with windows, since the monitor is getting a signal
and displaying information prior to XP starting up. I am using XP Home with
SP1. Is there a setting in XP that I am missing? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the information. I did a little poking around in the monitor
properties. I found that I could disable the graphics controller. So I
disabled the controller in the monitor properties, installed the card, and
reset my resolution. I am now operational.

Bradley, if I read your post correctly; that is what you were suggesting.

Thank you both for ending my headache.

"Tangle91" wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension L1000R that has integrated video. I am trying to
> install a new video card. I checked the BIOS and set the video display to
> look at the PCI not the Onboard. The monitor is hooked up to the video card.
> When I boot up, I see the the quick info about the card, the Dell screen and
> the screen that shows XP starting to load. Then the screen goes black and
> nothing else. The card I am trying to install is a GEFORCE MX4000 PCI.
>
> It looks like an issue with windows, since the monitor is getting a signal
> and displaying information prior to XP starting up. I am using XP Home with
> SP1. Is there a setting in XP that I am missing? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Did you install the NVIDIA drivers? You might need to
re-enable the onboard video, install the drivers from a CD
or download from the net. You can use the Device Manager to
update the drivers. The on-board and PCI card should both
be able to be active at the same time as far as I know.

It is possible that you have made some other hardware
changes and the new video change has triggered a need to
reactivate Windows if the computer profile has changed. You
might need to reinstall Windows.
You might try booting to Safe Mode and updating the drivers.

"Tangle91" <Tangle91@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|I have a Dell Dimension L1000R that has integrated video.
I am trying to
| install a new video card. I checked the BIOS and set the
video display to
| look at the PCI not the Onboard. The monitor is hooked up
to the video card.
| When I boot up, I see the the quick info about the card,
the Dell screen and
| the screen that shows XP starting to load. Then the
screen goes black and
| nothing else. The card I am trying to install is a
GEFORCE MX4000 PCI.

| It looks like an issue with windows, since the monitor is
getting a signal
| and displaying information prior to XP starting up. I am
using XP Home with
| SP1. Is there a setting in XP that I am missing? Any
other ideas?

| Thanks for any help.

At a guess, the display settings are out of range for the monitor, which is
shutting down to protect itself. The settings wouldn't appear until the
system booted fully into XP.

Try booting into safe mode (press the F8 function key). The display will be
set to a safe resolution. Go into the display control panel and set the
display to 640X480. Set the monitor to 60 Hz under the Monitor tab, after
hitting the Advanced settings button.

It would be helpful if you have the correct .inf file installed for the
monitor, and you have the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
checkbox checked. Then you can boot into regular Windows, and change the
resolution to a more usable value.

"Tangle91" <Tangle91@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension L1000R that has integrated video. I am trying to
> install a new video card. I checked the BIOS and set the video display to
> look at the PCI not the Onboard. The monitor is hooked up to the video
> card.
> When I boot up, I see the the quick info about the card, the Dell screen
> and
> the screen that shows XP starting to load. Then the screen goes black and
> nothing else. The card I am trying to install is a GEFORCE MX4000 PCI.
>
> It looks like an issue with windows, since the monitor is getting a signal
> and displaying information prior to XP starting up. I am using XP Home
> with
> SP1. Is there a setting in XP that I am missing? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You more than likely need to install newer drivers for your onboard video,
or disable, then re-enable the video in your BIOS settings while rebooting
each time.

ng each time.

Tangle91 wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension L1000R that has integrated video. I am trying to
> install a new video card. I checked the BIOS and set the video display to
> look at the PCI not the Onboard. The monitor is hooked up to the video card.
> When I boot up, I see the the quick info about the card, the Dell screen and
> the screen that shows XP starting to load. Then the screen goes black and
> nothing else. The card I am trying to install is a GEFORCE MX4000 PCI.
>
> It looks like an issue with windows, since the monitor is getting a signal
> and displaying information prior to XP starting up. I am using XP Home with
> SP1. Is there a setting in XP that I am missing? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Have you actually disabled the onboard video, or just enabled PCI video.
Some mobos will give you the option so you can do a dual head
configuration. I've done it with an AGP and PCI, but not onboard and
PCI, but I'm sure it's a similar situation. Check the output of the
onboard jack, and see if windows is actually up and running there. If
so, you may be able to go into display properties and switch to the PCI
being the primary, and either disable or set the onboard to secondary.

Brad