Hi! I've bought two memory modules (2x512Mb DDR400 Kingston CL3). So, after
removing the old one, I put both of them in their slots, but the motherboard
(MSI 845E Max) didn't start working. Then I came into BIOS (with the old
mem), and set SPD Timmings to Disabled and SDRAM Frequency to 266.

The weird thing is that now I can use ONE of the modules, just 512Mbs, but
it won't start when both modules are in the motherboard. May it be a problem
with the slot 2 itself? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried using one module at a time, and check if they both work?

Try putting them both in, then resetting the BIOS to factory defaults.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Mago" <Mago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I've bought two memory modules (2x512Mb DDR400 Kingston CL3). So,
> after
> removing the old one, I put both of them in their slots, but the
> motherboard
> (MSI 845E Max) didn't start working. Then I came into BIOS (with the old
> mem), and set SPD Timmings to Disabled and SDRAM Frequency to 266.
>
> The weird thing is that now I can use ONE of the modules, just 512Mbs, but
> it won't start when both modules are in the motherboard. May it be a
> problem
> with the slot 2 itself? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

I might have the same board as you MSI 845E Max-L (MS-6566E version 1.0) -
Non HT Ready.

I use 2 at 512MB sticks. The first is a Samsung (came with PC). A year
ago I added a Kingston stick. Here is the link.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR266X64C25/512

Both sticks have the same specs. Works fine. Hope you get yours figured
out.

***********

Consider:

Trying each new stick, one at a time in both DIMM slots. My manual states
that a mem module must be installed in at least 1 slot (ie. it does not say
that it has to be DIMM1).

Writing down you BIOS settings (for future reference) then choose "Load BIOS
Defaults" and reboot using 1 and 2 sticks.

r.

"Mago" <Mago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I've bought two memory modules (2x512Mb DDR400 Kingston CL3). So,
> after
> removing the old one, I put both of them in their slots, but the
> motherboard
> (MSI 845E Max) didn't start working. Then I came into BIOS (with the old
> mem), and set SPD Timmings to Disabled and SDRAM Frequency to 266.
>
> The weird thing is that now I can use ONE of the modules, just 512Mbs, but
> it won't start when both modules are in the motherboard. May it be a
> problem
> with the slot 2 itself? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Maybe these are clues.

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=708

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=710