hide the connections tab of IE

March 13, 2005 6:21:02 AM

hi

is there a way by which i can hide the connections tab
of IE(Tools->internet options) or if not hide the internet options menu
under Tools of IE as i want to put proxy
address and prevent intenet access for some users.
we dont have any third party tools etc for this.

regards

More about : hide connections tab

March 13, 2005 11:25:28 AM

In news:216EACB1-2BA1-4CC4-AAD7-6F5CE954F289@microsoft.com,
sridhar <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> hi
>
> is there a way by which i can hide the connections tab
> of IE(Tools->internet options) or if not hide the internet options
> menu under Tools of IE as i want to put proxy
> address and prevent intenet access for some users.
> we dont have any third party tools etc for this.
>

> regards

Start here:

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=745

Also see the root:

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gplistall.asp

Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC to access those.

Galen

March 13, 2005 11:25:29 AM

thanks

but i dont find any internet explorer key itself under this key
hkey_lcoal_machine\software\policies\microsoft

what shall i do?

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:216EACB1-2BA1-4CC4-AAD7-6F5CE954F289@microsoft.com,
> sridhar <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > hi
> >
> > is there a way by which i can hide the connections tab
> > of IE(Tools->internet options) or if not hide the internet options
> > menu under Tools of IE as i want to put proxy
> > address and prevent intenet access for some users.
> > we dont have any third party tools etc for this.
> >

> > regards
>
> Start here:
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=745
>
> Also see the root:
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gplistall.asp
>
> Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC to access those.
>
> Galen
>
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

March 14, 2005 12:05:02 AM

In news:3E7041B0-2A51-413D-A1B7-6A1FAE1B2668@microsoft.com,
sridhar <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> thanks
>
> but i dont find any internet explorer key itself under this key
> hkey_lcoal_machine\software\policies\microsoft
>
> what shall i do?

Start > Run > Type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes > Hit enter > Click on
User > Click on Administrative Templates > Click on Windows Componenents >
Click on Internet Explorer > Click on Browser Menues > Disable Menu Options.
This is what it does:

Prevents users from opening the Internet Options dialog box from the Tools
menu in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

If you enable this policy, users cannot change their Internet options, such
as default home page, cache size, and connection and proxy settings, from
the browser Tools menu. When users click the Internet Options command on the
Tools menu, they are informed that the command is unavailable.

If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users can change their
Internet settings from the browser Tools menu.

Caution: This policy does not prevent users from viewing and changing
Internet settings by clicking the Internet Options icon in Windows Control
Panel.

Also, see policies for Internet options in the \Administrative
Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer and in \Administrative
Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel
folders.

Galen