Lian Li PC-75 case mods. Should I nor not.?

Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.

1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer

I need to know about whether or not I should get certain modifications such
as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the case. and also whether or
not it would be advisable to get a cutout for a UV fan in the clear acrylic
side panel. Of course I'm concerned about heat build-up inside the case
running a SLI game rig but I've heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian
li PC-75 are good heat dissipaters by themselves so please give me your
input regarding this matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thank You
3 answers Last reply
More about lian case mods

    Nospam wrote:
    > Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
    > system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
    >
    > 1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
    > 2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
    > 3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
    > 4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
    > 5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
    > 6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
    > 7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
    > 8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
    >
    > I need to know about whether or not I should get certain
    > modifications such as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the
    > case. and also whether or not it would be advisable to get a cutout
    > for a UV fan in the clear acrylic side panel. Of course I'm concerned
    > about heat build-up inside the case running a SLI game rig but I've
    > heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian li PC-75 are good heat
    > dissipaters by themselves so please give me your input regarding this
    > matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    > Thank You

    I have that exact case, and absolutely love it. My system temp remains
    around 26C, with the stock cooling supplied. I keep my home around 72F.
    I do not have an sli setup, I have the K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3 setup.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:31:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Nospam wrote:
    >> Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
    >> system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
    >>
    >> 1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
    >> 2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
    >> 3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
    >> 4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
    >> 5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
    >> 6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
    >> 7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
    >> 8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
    >>
    >> I need to know about whether or not I should get certain
    >> modifications such as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the
    >> case. and also whether or not it would be advisable to get a cutout
    >> for a UV fan in the clear acrylic side panel. Of course I'm concerned
    >> about heat build-up inside the case running a SLI game rig but I've
    >> heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian li PC-75 are good heat
    >> dissipaters by themselves so please give me your input regarding this
    >> matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >> Thank You
    >

    >I have that exact case, and absolutely love it. My system temp remains
    >around 26C, with the stock cooling supplied. I keep my home around 72F.
    >I do not have an sli setup, I have the K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3 setup.

    I have the Lian Li PC-60u case with two intake fans bottom front, exit
    fan on the top and another at the top of the back panel. I am not
    impressed with their fans as they hardly seem to move any air. I find
    that by removing the side panel my cpu idles about 10C cooler and I
    can reduce the speed of the fan on my cpu which makes my system much
    quieter. Yep, quieter with the side panel removed!

    The next time I upgrade my system I may replace those case fans.
    Don't get me wrong I still love the case!

    Ak
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:44:50 GMT, "Nospam" <Nospam@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
    >system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
    >
    >1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
    >2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
    >3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
    >4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
    >5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
    >6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
    >7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
    >8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
    >
    >I need to know about whether or not I should get certain modifications such
    >as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the case. and also whether or
    >not it would be advisable to get a cutout for a UV fan in the clear acrylic
    >side panel. Of course I'm concerned about heat build-up inside the case
    >running a SLI game rig but I've heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian
    >li PC-75 are good heat dissipaters by themselves so please give me your
    >input regarding this matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >
    >Thank You

    Hi,
    I know you are asking about the case but in regards to your other
    spec's....

    The tests I have read show that one 6800GT card performs as good or
    better than two 6600GT's in SLI mode. Then you could always add a
    second 6800GT for even more awesome performance.

    Also, while I am sure that the Raptor is a great drive, the new
    Seagate 400 7200.8 seems to perform as good or better in a raid0 and
    gives you 5 times the capacity for about 60% more money. Newegg has
    the OEM Raptor for $175 and OEM 400 7200.8 for $ 285.00 or the 300
    7200.8 retail for $ 197.

    This article tests the two drives.
    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/storage/hdd/seagate/72008/index.shtml

    HTH