Lian Li PC-75 case mods. Should I nor not.?

Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.

1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer

I need to know about whether or not I should get certain modifications such
as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the case. and also whether or
not it would be advisable to get a cutout for a UV fan in the clear acrylic
side panel. Of course I'm concerned about heat build-up inside the case
running a SLI game rig but I've heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian
li PC-75 are good heat dissipaters by themselves so please give me your
input regarding this matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thank You

Nospam wrote:
> Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
> system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
>
> 1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
> 2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
> 3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
> 4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
> 5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
> 6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
> 7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
> 8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
>
> I need to know about whether or not I should get certain
> modifications such as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the
> case. and also whether or not it would be advisable to get a cutout
> for a UV fan in the clear acrylic side panel. Of course I'm concerned
> about heat build-up inside the case running a SLI game rig but I've
> heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian li PC-75 are good heat
> dissipaters by themselves so please give me your input regarding this
> matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
> Thank You

I have that exact case, and absolutely love it. My system temp remains
around 26C, with the stock cooling supplied. I keep my home around 72F.
I do not have an sli setup, I have the K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3 setup.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:31:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Nospam wrote:
>> Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
>> system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
>>
>> 1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
>> 2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
>> 3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
>> 4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
>> 5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
>> 6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
>> 7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
>> 8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
>>
>> I need to know about whether or not I should get certain
>> modifications such as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the
>> case. and also whether or not it would be advisable to get a cutout
>> for a UV fan in the clear acrylic side panel. Of course I'm concerned
>> about heat build-up inside the case running a SLI game rig but I've
>> heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian li PC-75 are good heat
>> dissipaters by themselves so please give me your input regarding this
>> matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>> Thank You
>

>I have that exact case, and absolutely love it. My system temp remains
>around 26C, with the stock cooling supplied. I keep my home around 72F.
>I do not have an sli setup, I have the K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3 setup.

I have the Lian Li PC-60u case with two intake fans bottom front, exit
fan on the top and another at the top of the back panel. I am not
impressed with their fans as they hardly seem to move any air. I find
that by removing the side panel my cpu idles about 10C cooler and I
can reduce the speed of the fan on my cpu which makes my system much
quieter. Yep, quieter with the side panel removed!

The next time I upgrade my system I may replace those case fans.
Don't get me wrong I still love the case!

Ak

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:44:50 GMT, "Nospam" <Nospam@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Lian Li PC-75 tower case for my new
>system that I'm planning to build. I will include the following.
>
>1. MSI K8N Neo4-SLI motherboard
>2. AMD Athon 64 3500+ cup (Winchester core)
>3. Corsair XPERT TWINXP 1024 3200XL DDR 400 1Gig
>4. 2x Chaintech SE6600 Geforce 6600 GT PCIe video cards
>5. Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650 w PSU
>6 2x Western Digital 74D Raptor 74 Gig HDD (Raid 0)
>7. Western Digial caviar 74 gigabyte 7200 rpm data backup HDD
>8. Plextor PX-716A DVD Writer
>
>I need to know about whether or not I should get certain modifications such
>as a blowhole for a 120mm fan in the top of the case. and also whether or
>not it would be advisable to get a cutout for a UV fan in the clear acrylic
>side panel. Of course I'm concerned about heat build-up inside the case
>running a SLI game rig but I've heard that aluminum cases such as the Lian
>li PC-75 are good heat dissipaters by themselves so please give me your
>input regarding this matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>
>Thank You

Hi,
I know you are asking about the case but in regards to your other
spec's....

The tests I have read show that one 6800GT card performs as good or
better than two 6600GT's in SLI mode. Then you could always add a
second 6800GT for even more awesome performance.

Also, while I am sure that the Raptor is a great drive, the new
Seagate 400 7200.8 seems to perform as good or better in a raid0 and
gives you 5 times the capacity for about 60% more money. Newegg has
the OEM Raptor for $175 and OEM 400 7200.8 for $ 285.00 or the 300
7200.8 retail for $ 197.

This article tests the two drives.
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/storage/hdd/seagate/72008/index.shtml

HTH