Sound problem in AC97 on KT4V MS-6712

Hi all,

Noticed new drivers on MSI web site for sound so downloaded and
installed. Now My right rear speaker is very muffled (like no treble -
just base component). So I uninstlled and resinstalled old version of
driver - problem persisted.

I playing in 5.1 via DTT2200 speaker, so quite a few cables.
I have swapped cables (from PC to speaker sys and from speaker sys to
speakers) and I am pretty convinced the problem is not with the cables
or speaker sys - but with the Mobo sound "card" or the drivers.

Anyone else seen this - or any idea what problem may be?

TIA for any insight.

WinXP SP2
DX9.0c

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:54:31 GMT, Justin Thompson
<Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Noticed new drivers on MSI web site for sound so downloaded and
>installed. Now My right rear speaker is very muffled (like no treble -
>just base component). So I uninstlled and resinstalled old version of
>driver - problem persisted.
>
>I playing in 5.1 via DTT2200 speaker, so quite a few cables.
>I have swapped cables (from PC to speaker sys and from speaker sys to
>speakers) and I am pretty convinced the problem is not with the cables
>or speaker sys - but with the Mobo sound "card" or the drivers.
>
>Anyone else seen this - or any idea what problem may be?
>
>TIA for any insight.
>
>WinXP SP2
>DX9.0c

Think apologies due - my analysis may be at fault. Probably not
Driver/Sound card - think it the DTT2200 unit after all.

Will triple check and post again if needed.
Cheers

On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:54:56 GMT, Justin Thompson
<Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:54:31 GMT, Justin Thompson
><Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Noticed new drivers on MSI web site for sound so downloaded and
>>installed. Now My right rear speaker is very muffled (like no treble -
>>just base component). So I uninstlled and resinstalled old version of
>>driver - problem persisted.
>>
>>I playing in 5.1 via DTT2200 speaker, so quite a few cables.
>>I have swapped cables (from PC to speaker sys and from speaker sys to
>>speakers) and I am pretty convinced the problem is not with the cables
>>or speaker sys - but with the Mobo sound "card" or the drivers.
>>
>>Anyone else seen this - or any idea what problem may be?
>>
>>TIA for any insight.
>>
>>WinXP SP2
>>DX9.0c
>>

>Think apologies due - my analysis may be at fault. Probably not
>Driver/Sound card - think it the DTT2200 unit after all.
>
>Will triple check and post again if needed.
>Cheers

Hi all Im back :(

OK - original analysis correct - is a software prob. I swapped out the
DT2200 unit and put in a P5800 unit - problem persisted. I reconfirmed
it software as I disabled sound in BIOS, uninstalled drivers,
rebooted, then re-enabled sound in BIOS and reinstalled latest
drivers.

Initially I thought I had fixed as in the sound test utility the duff
speaker was now working fine - but then found that the woofer was
silent :(

So I changed config to say I now using sterio (and not 5.1) and then
put it back to 5.1 config - and the initial problem returned (Grrrrr).

Anyone ANY idea WTF is going on here?

TIA for any help.
Cheers