Neo2 fried with 2 raid 0 arrays. Is all the info lost?

I have/had a neo2 fis2r it had the intel raid, as well as the promise raid
controllers on it.

Well it fried yesterday, though it was the power supply, but it wasn't. I
bought a new one, and same results. I have already started looking for
another MB. I would be happy with another one like I have, but I can't seem
to find one anywhere.

So here is my delimma. I had two raid 0 setups on this MB.

One was two 250 GB striped, and the other wat two 120 GB striped. totaling
740 GB of info, that only about 80 GB was free. thats a lot to lose over the
weekend.

Is there another MB from MSI or not, that will allow me to save these raid
arrays? I know the promise one couldn't plug into the intel one without
wiping the drives, and vice-versa. But I would really like to save this data
if I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

ThaZiPSteR

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:16:45 GMT, "ThaZiPSteR"
<thazipster@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have/had a neo2 fis2r it had the intel raid, as well as the promise raid
>controllers on it.
>
>Well it fried yesterday, though it was the power supply, but it wasn't. I
>bought a new one, and same results. I have already started looking for
>another MB. I would be happy with another one like I have, but I can't seem
>to find one anywhere.
>
>So here is my delimma. I had two raid 0 setups on this MB.
>
>One was two 250 GB striped, and the other wat two 120 GB striped. totaling
>740 GB of info, that only about 80 GB was free. thats a lot to lose over the
>weekend.
>
>Is there another MB from MSI or not, that will allow me to save these raid
>arrays? I know the promise one couldn't plug into the intel one without
>wiping the drives, and vice-versa. But I would really like to save this data
>if I can.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated
>

>Thanks,
>
>ThaZiPSteR

http://www.ikonpc.com/pmoreinfo.asp?iid=2102

I have never dealt with this company, but it claims to have the Neo2
fis2r for $ 64.00 + $ 5.00 shipping

Gollum

"Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:16:45 GMT, "ThaZiPSteR"
> <thazipster@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>I have/had a neo2 fis2r it had the intel raid, as well as the promise raid
>>controllers on it.
>>
>>Well it fried yesterday, though it was the power supply, but it wasn't. I
>>bought a new one, and same results. I have already started looking for
>>another MB. I would be happy with another one like I have, but I can't
>>seem
>>to find one anywhere.
>>
>>So here is my delimma. I had two raid 0 setups on this MB.
>>
>>One was two 250 GB striped, and the other wat two 120 GB striped. totaling
>>740 GB of info, that only about 80 GB was free. thats a lot to lose over
>>the
>>weekend.
>>
>>Is there another MB from MSI or not, that will allow me to save these raid
>>arrays? I know the promise one couldn't plug into the intel one without
>>wiping the drives, and vice-versa. But I would really like to save this
>>data
>>if I can.
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>ThaZiPSteR
>>
> http://www.ikonpc.com/pmoreinfo.asp?iid=2102
>
> I have never dealt with this company, but it claims to have the Neo2
> fis2r for $ 64.00 + $ 5.00 shipping
>
> Gollum

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:34:48 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

>http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4725.html

Good resource, thanks

I usually buy from Newegg,ZipZoomFly,Mwave or Monarch but they don't
always have what you want.

Gollum

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

ThaZiPSteR wrote:
> I have/had a neo2 fis2r it had the intel raid, as well as the promise
> raid controllers on it.
>
> Well it fried yesterday, though it was the power supply, but it
> wasn't. I bought a new one, and same results. I have already started
> looking for another MB. I would be happy with another one like I
> have, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

eBay.

> So here is my delimma. I had two raid 0 setups on this MB.
>
> One was two 250 GB striped, and the other wat two 120 GB striped.
> totaling 740 GB of info, that only about 80 GB was free. thats a lot
> to lose over the weekend.

You had 740GB of important data, and no backup ?

Are you mad ?

Once you get up and running again, you need to buy yourself a pair of 400GB
drives.
You can then use Norton Ghost to make disc images of your two RAID arrays,
onto the 400GB drives.
You need to either mount these drives in a pair of removable caddies, or in
an external USB/Firewire case - then when you've made your backup, you can
remove them from the computer and store them somewhere safe. It's no good
leaving them connected to the PC, because they're going to die along with
your data if your PSU pops or you get struck by lightning or whatever.

> Is there another MB from MSI or not, that will allow me to save these
> raid arrays? I know the promise one couldn't plug into the intel one
> without wiping the drives, and vice-versa. But I would really like to
> save this data if I can.

Those same controller chips should be able to read your RAIDs on any
Motherboard. You need the model number of the Promise and Intel RAID
controllers - then just pick up any old board with the same controllers on
it, and it'll work just fine.

AS SOON as you have it running, get your backups made !

Paul

Splendid

In article <hBlke.558910$A81.277331@fe08.news.easynews.com>, "ThaZiPSteR"
<thazipster@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have/had a neo2 fis2r it had the intel raid, as well as the promise raid
> controllers on it.
>
> Well it fried yesterday, though it was the power supply, but it wasn't. I
> bought a new one, and same results. I have already started looking for
> another MB. I would be happy with another one like I have, but I can't seem
> to find one anywhere.
>
> So here is my delimma. I had two raid 0 setups on this MB.
>
> One was two 250 GB striped, and the other wat two 120 GB striped. totaling
> 740 GB of info, that only about 80 GB was free. thats a lot to lose over the
> weekend.
>
> Is there another MB from MSI or not, that will allow me to save these raid
> arrays? I know the promise one couldn't plug into the intel one without
> wiping the drives, and vice-versa. But I would really like to save this data
> if I can.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>

> Thanks,
>
> ThaZiPSteR

When the board burned up, did it look like the pictures
of the Southbridge here ?

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84122&highlight=usb+port

This web page claims there is a problem with the USB ports
being sensitive to static electricity.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm

If that burned up Southbridge looks like your problem, you
may want to avoid plugging stuff into the USB ports on your
replacement board. Since the above is all the info I can find
on the problem, there is not a lot to go on.

I don't think this is a motherboard brand issue, and any brand
of board with the ICH5R on it could have the same problem.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS