Fedora Core 3 Installation Hangs

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

I'm trying to install Fedora Core 3 and I get the installation hanging:

"RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0"

I'm installing on a MSI 815E Pro (6637) motherboard with 1 GHz PIII & 256
RAM. The CD I'm booting off is not the problem because I successfully
installed Fedora Core 3 on 2 previous machines. I tried different hard
drives, CD-ROM drives and memory modules, thinking they were the culprits
but it keep hanging at the same spot no matter what.

Any ideas on how resolve this issue? Any kind of help would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

"News Groupie" <newsgroupie@newsgroups.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install Fedora Core 3 and I get the installation hanging:
>
> "RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0"
>
> I'm installing on a MSI 815E Pro (6637) motherboard with 1 GHz PIII & 256
> RAM. The CD I'm booting off is not the problem because I successfully
> installed Fedora Core 3 on 2 previous machines. I tried different hard
> drives, CD-ROM drives and memory modules, thinking they were the culprits
> but it keep hanging at the same spot no matter what.
>
> Any ideas on how resolve this issue? Any kind of help would be greatly
> appreciated.

You might try adding 'nofb'. I tried to install Fedora on my Acer laptop, and
it hung in a similar fashion, and I saw hints in various web sites that the
frame buffer X server Fedora creates was the problem. At the moment, I have
SUSE 9.2 on the laptop, but I just downloaded Fedora FC4 test3, and will try
shortly.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

News Groupie wrote:

> Any other ideas why the installation hangs (I've just tried installing RH
> Linux 9 on this machine and it's hanging at the same spot)???

Could it be bad RAM?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

News Groupie wrote:
> I'm trying to install Fedora Core 3 and I get the installation hanging:
>
> "RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0"
>
> I'm installing on a MSI 815E Pro (6637) motherboard with 1 GHz PIII & 256
> RAM. The CD I'm booting off is not the problem because I successfully
> installed Fedora Core 3 on 2 previous machines. I tried different hard
> drives, CD-ROM drives and memory modules, thinking they were the culprits
> but it keep hanging at the same spot no matter what.
>
> Any ideas on how resolve this issue? Any kind of help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> TIA

Just as a side note, according to the release schedule Fedora Core 4
will be released in two weeks. Maybe the issue has been resolved.

-- August

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

thanx for ya'll suggestions.

i tried to install WinXP too and got a similiar hanging/freezing. And it's
not bad RAM because I've successfully installed Fedora Core 3 on a Dell
Optiplex GX110 (PIII 667MHz) with the same RAM modules.

I'm told the MSI motherboard and/or the 1 GHz CPU was fried before I
received it. So I'm assuming one of those are the actual culprit.

Anyways, the Dell system seems to be running it okay, so I'm gonna stick
with this setup for now (maybe even test the 1GHz CPU in the Dell mobo
later).

Thanks again people

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:20:31 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> News Groupie wrote:
>
>> Any other ideas why the installation hangs (I've just tried installing RH
>> Linux 9 on this machine and it's hanging at the same spot)???
>
> Could it be bad RAM?

try linux acpi=off during setup - worked for me on Suse on the laptop that
had the same issue.