monitor change analog to digital

a b C Monitor
March 13, 2005 11:30:25 PM

I reloaded a Gateway pc with windows xp home and all software with a regular
vga monitor. (The system was loaded with spies, etc.) System was fine after
rebuilding. When my stepdaughter brought her system home and plugged her
digital monitor in - windows would not boot. She brought it back and it was
fine here and when we were hooking it up she said that that's not where she
plugs in her monitor. So, I'm assuming the problem is related to switching
from vga to dfp (digital flat panel) at her house. She lives out of state
and I can't go there. I have had her try going into safe mode, but really
don't know what to have her do.
How do I get windows xp to switch the monitor to work for her?

Please help. She needs to study for a big test on her computer.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 14, 2005 12:31:15 AM

"Kathy French" <french@sat-a-link.com> wrote in message
> I reloaded a Gateway pc with windows xp home and all software with a
regular
> vga monitor. (The system was loaded with spies, etc.) System was fine
after
> rebuilding. When my stepdaughter brought her system home and plugged her
> digital monitor in - windows would not boot. She brought it back and it
was
> fine here and when we were hooking it up she said that that's not where
she
> plugs in her monitor. So, I'm assuming the problem is related to
switching
> from vga to dfp (digital flat panel) at her house. She lives out of state
> and I can't go there. I have had her try going into safe mode, but
really
> don't know what to have her do.
> How do I get windows xp to switch the monitor to work for her?
>
> Please help. She needs to study for a big test on her computer.
>
> Thanks

Have her use the standard (analog) VGA connector on the DFP for now.
If she doesn't have a VGA cable, go to OfficeMax etc. and
get one.

Work on this problem later when the studying is done.

Basically, you need to uninstall and then reinstall the video card
drivers with the LCD attached, so it gets "seen" and set up properly.
There's also manual ways to try to get things to work, but they can
literally lock you out of the display, making the situation worse...

You don't really say, but did you get a display in Safe Mode?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 14, 2005 7:55:38 PM

"Kathy French" <KFrench@kcc.cc.il.us> wrote in message
> Thanks very much for your reply.
>
> The monitor does work when in safe mode (although I don't know how well).
> I think for now she's gonna hook up her old monitor after she goes to get
> it. But I really do need to get this one working for her. I think over
> spring break I will end up driving there, but I need to know what to
> try....
>
> Thanks

Did you download & install the latest driver for the vidcard
or are you using the XP built-in support?

> "Kathy French" <french@sat-a-link.com> wrote in message
> > I reloaded a Gateway pc with windows xp home and all software with a
> regular
> > vga monitor. (The system was loaded with spies, etc.) System was fine
> after
> > rebuilding. When my stepdaughter brought her system home and plugged
her
> > digital monitor in - windows would not boot. She brought it back and it
> was
> > fine here and when we were hooking it up she said that that's not where
> she
> > plugs in her monitor. So, I'm assuming the problem is related to
> switching
> > from vga to dfp (digital flat panel) at her house. She lives out of
> state
> > and I can't go there. I have had her try going into safe mode, but
> really
> > don't know what to have her do.
> > How do I get windows xp to switch the monitor to work for her?
> >
> > Please help. She needs to study for a big test on her computer.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Have her use the standard (analog) VGA connector on the DFP for now.
> If she doesn't have a VGA cable, go to OfficeMax etc. and
> get one.
>
> Work on this problem later when the studying is done.
>
> Basically, you need to uninstall and then reinstall the video card
> drivers with the LCD attached, so it gets "seen" and set up properly.
> There's also manual ways to try to get things to work, but they can
> literally lock you out of the display, making the situation worse...
>
> You don't really say, but did you get a display in Safe Mode?

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 18, 2005 8:33:38 PM

All fixed! Thought I'd let you know...
My ear hurt after the long phone call to her, but she is a good listener.
Basically, just updated the video driver and all is well.
Thanks.

!