Secondary Drive gone

I tried accessing my secondary drive (D:) a maxtor 200 gig with windows
explorer today and got a message/window asking me if I wanted to format the
drive, I've got about 160 gigs of files on the drive. I ran Nortons disk
doctor and it wouldn't recognize the D: drive so I ran it on the C: drive
thinking it might fix a file or two that would help windows xp recognize the
drive, needless to say that didn't fix it. In the hardware profile
everything seems to be in order, even followed all the help files on this
machine whether they be Sony or MS. I'm reasonably certain I could format
the drive and get the use of this drive back but with no files. What I
suspect (and I'm no expert) is that the root directory might be corrupted.
Is there any utility available that might solve my problem? My system is a
sony pcv-rs420, P4, 2.8 cpu with all the updated xp stuff, the drivers are
current as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Download the Maxtor utilities from their website and let it check your
drive. www.maxtor.com
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"MIS" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I tried accessing my secondary drive (D:) a maxtor 200 gig with windows
>explorer today and got a message/window asking me if I wanted to format the
>drive, I've got about 160 gigs of files on the drive. I ran Nortons disk
>doctor and it wouldn't recognize the D: drive so I ran it on the C: drive
>thinking it might fix a file or two that would help windows xp recognize
>the drive, needless to say that didn't fix it. In the hardware profile
>everything seems to be in order, even followed all the help files on this
>machine whether they be Sony or MS. I'm reasonably certain I could format
>the drive and get the use of this drive back but with no files. What I
>suspect (and I'm no expert) is that the root directory might be corrupted.
>Is there any utility available that might solve my problem? My system is a
>sony pcv-rs420, P4, 2.8 cpu with all the updated xp stuff, the drivers are
>current as well.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Andy

Try looking at old messages in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage for
ideas on what to do.