How to troubleshoot intermittent connections.

Often when I turn on my laptop, my wireless connection is disconnected. It
is visible when I "View available networks" but it will not connect. When it
gets like this I have to turn off and back on my router.

- I'm using Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2 and a NetGearWGR614v4 Wireless
Router.
- I have updated the firmware on the router.
- I have confirmed my drivers are the latest
- I have applied all Windows updates and service patches.
- I tried attaching it directly to the wired port on the router and it
immediately has a connection, so the problem is not likely with my cable
modem.
- It works most of the time so, it must be configured correctly.
- It is only 20' from the base station and I have a strong signal (even when
"disconected.)
- The only configuration changes I made to the router are:
SSID, password, DHCP range, enabled MAC filtering and enabled 802.11(b) only.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Carlyle

Its look like a security item.
I have the same before with the wpa security.
I have change it in wep and the conecction stay`s

"Carlyle302" wrote:

> Often when I turn on my laptop, my wireless connection is disconnected. It
> is visible when I "View available networks" but it will not connect. When it
> gets like this I have to turn off and back on my router.
>
> - I'm using Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2 and a NetGearWGR614v4 Wireless
> Router.
> - I have updated the firmware on the router.
> - I have confirmed my drivers are the latest
> - I have applied all Windows updates and service patches.
> - I tried attaching it directly to the wired port on the router and it
> immediately has a connection, so the problem is not likely with my cable
> modem.
> - It works most of the time so, it must be configured correctly.
> - It is only 20' from the base station and I have a strong signal (even when
> "disconected.)
> - The only configuration changes I made to the router are:
> SSID, password, DHCP range, enabled MAC filtering and enabled 802.11(b) only.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> Carlyle

I am not using WPA security since I am not concerned with people snooping my
traffic. I am only using MAC address filtering.

Carlyle