  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 2, 2005 11:40:01 AM

We have a bank of machines, 3 of them, that have
this motherboard (the MS-6337) in them with 512MB
of RAM, 52x CD-ROM and LinkSys NIC. Once I applied
SP2 to one of them, it stopped being able to boot
successfully.

Suspicious of the board/CPU/RAM, I moved the drive
into a different identical box and it still won't
startup at all, gets to the MUP.SYS and then blacks
out for a sec only to POST and try booting again.

These machines were running 2000 initially and
recently just fine...

Is there a known issue with the chipset on this
board and XP SP2? Didn't think applying SP2 to
these machines would be a big deal, but now ones
toast for sure, won't even boot into safe mode,
good thing we had backups, but what the hell?

Anybody else have experience with this old board?

-Kyro

More about : 6337 windows sp2 boot

June 2, 2005 1:20:44 PM

Tried this, and the recovery console confirmed that
MUP.SYS was disabled.

On the next normal boot attempt same thing, infinite
reboot loop. Interestingly, when I tried Safe Mode
one last time, it was still trying to load MUP.SYS
(but the recovery console confirmed with a message
telling me that the service was in fact disabled, so
I'm not sure what that's all about).

I've now flashed the boards BIOS to the latest version
and it still won't boot. Now I'm going to do a repair
install to get it back to plain ole' default XP and then
I'll just leave it alone.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 2:37:24 PM

"Kyro" <kyro.sk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a bank of machines, 3 of them, that have
> this motherboard (the MS-6337) in them with 512MB
> of RAM, 52x CD-ROM and LinkSys NIC. Once I applied
> SP2 to one of them, it stopped being able to boot
> successfully.
>
> Suspicious of the board/CPU/RAM, I moved the drive
> into a different identical box and it still won't
> startup at all, gets to the MUP.SYS and then blacks
> out for a sec only to POST and try booting again.
>
> These machines were running 2000 initially and
> recently just fine...
>
> Is there a known issue with the chipset on this
> board and XP SP2? Didn't think applying SP2 to
> these machines would be a big deal, but now ones
> toast for sure, won't even boot into safe mode,
> good thing we had backups, but what the hell?
>
> Anybody else have experience with this old board?
>
> -Kyro

Boot off the windows cd, load the recovery console.
Type "disable mup"
Hit Enter
All done, windows works. Mup.sys is the service to connect to Novell
servers.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2005 12:18:52 AM

If you haven't done the repair yet, I'd would disable automatic
restart and see if the machine will hang on a blue screen Stop error
and give you a clue.

Just as an example, a program called T.V. Media will cause a reboot
loop after installing SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885523

The error will tell you if that's what's happening. Otherwise, if you
get a different error it will at least give you something to search
on.

Failing that, you could remove SP2 and make sure it's at least part of
the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350

Kevin

!