Cleaning flat screen monitors

Hi group,

I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I recently bought
to go with my Dell.

I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that you can buy,
but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better way to clean
these things? What do you folks do?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeff
6 answers Last reply
More about cleaning flat screen monitors

    You should check the Dell web site (if it is a Dell
    monitor)for the proper procedure. Those streaks may be
    permanent damage to the coated screen. You should ask
    BEFORE you try unknown cleaning methods. Each monitor
    makers has instructions.

    "Jeff Gillan" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    | Hi group,
    |
    | I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I
    recently bought
    | to go with my Dell.
    |
    | I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that
    you can buy,
    | but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better
    way to clean
    | these things? What do you folks do?
    |
    | Thanks in advance for your help,
    | Jeff

    Microfiber cloth for cleaning camera
    lenses moistened with
    distilled water.

    Jeff Gillan wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I recently
    > bought to go with my Dell.
    >
    > I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that you can
    > buy, but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better way to
    > clean these things? What do you folks do?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > Jeff

    I hate to break it to you, but you've (probably) caused permanent damage to
    the screen. On the box of screen wipes I have on my desk (they also state
    'alcohol free') it specifically states that they're *NOT* to be used on LCD
    or Plasma screens. The alcohol is usually replaced with ammonia, which is
    too harsh to be used on the delicate LCD membrane. You could attempt what
    Carey has suggested, but my bet is you've damaged the panel. My parents have
    an LCD, and it's cleaned with cool boiled water and it's fine.

    Hope you didn't pay *too* much for it!

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > Jeff Gillan wrote:
    >
    >>Hi group,
    >>
    >>I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I recently
    >>bought to go with my Dell.
    >>
    >>I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that you can
    >>buy, but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better way to
    >>clean these things? What do you folks do?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for your help,
    >>Jeff
    >

    > I hate to break it to you, but you've (probably) caused permanent damage to
    > the screen. On the box of screen wipes I have on my desk (they also state
    > 'alcohol free') it specifically states that they're *NOT* to be used on LCD
    > or Plasma screens. The alcohol is usually replaced with ammonia, which is
    > too harsh to be used on the delicate LCD membrane. You could attempt what
    > Carey has suggested, but my bet is you've damaged the panel. My parents have
    > an LCD, and it's cleaned with cool boiled water and it's fine.
    >
    > Hope you didn't pay *too* much for it!

    Hi there,
    Well actually, I did pay a lot, and hope nothing permanent has happened.

    What I use is a product by Fellowes, called "screen cleaning wipes,"
    specifically designed for laptops and LCD's.

    Jeff

    Jeff Gillan wrote:
    | Hi group,
    |
    | I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I recently
    | bought to go with my Dell.
    |
    | I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that you can
    | buy, but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better way to
    | clean these things? What do you folks do?
    |
    | Thanks in advance for your help,
    | Jeff

    Use any glass cleaner with a picture or specifications for
    cleaning a PC Monitor.
    I gave up on mine. I went to the PC store and bought glare
    shields for my monitors. These I just clean in the kitchen sink
    using _dish soap_.

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:09:17 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <noone@here.com> wrote:

    >Jeff Gillan wrote:
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> I have a question about cleaning a flat screen monitor I recently
    >> bought to go with my Dell.
    >>
    >> I tried using those pre-moistened, alcohol free wipes that you can
    >> buy, but it left streak marks on my monitor. Is there a better way to
    >> clean these things? What do you folks do?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help,
    >> Jeff
    >
    >I hate to break it to you, but you've (probably) caused permanent damage to
    >the screen. On the box of screen wipes I have on my desk (they also state
    >'alcohol free') it specifically states that they're *NOT* to be used on LCD
    >or Plasma screens. The alcohol is usually replaced with ammonia, which is
    >too harsh to be used on the delicate LCD membrane. You could attempt what
    >Carey has suggested, but my bet is you've damaged the panel. My parents have
    >an LCD, and it's cleaned with cool boiled water and it's fine.
    >
    >Hope you didn't pay *too* much for it!

    Whoa there, Tonto. Why do you assume this is a LCD monitor?

    My HP Pavilion mx704 is a flat-screen monitor - but is a CRT and not
    an LCD. So just relax instead of blasting this person. Find out all
    the facts before you scare them out of their wits thinking they just
    destroyed their nice new monitor.

Flat Screen Monitors Windows XP