Drives not recognised on Win XP installation on new machine

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I'm having no success trying to install Win XP on a brand new computer.

A system has been built to the following spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro.
This has an on-board SATA RAID ICH6R chipset and an IDE RAID VT6410 chipset.

Hard Drives: 2 x Hitachi 160GB SATA 7200RPM

Memory: 2 x 512MB 533MHz DDR2 Kingston

CPU: Pentium 4 540

Graphics: Sparkle 6600GT PCI E 128MB TD

A DVD recorder and DVD combo is fitted.

The computer builders were informed that I wanted the machine with the RAM
to be configured in dual channel mode and with the drives configured in RAID
O. No OS was ordered as I would install my own Windows XP Pro Corp with SP.
I wanted the machine set up in this fashion insofar as was possible.

I'm not sure if the Bios settings are OK or whay changes if any to make but
when Setup begins, it very soon reports that it cannot find any hard drives
on the machine.

I am not sure if this is solely due to the driver and RAID software
installation. The MB came with a CD and IDE RAIDE function manual which
deals with transferring a driver from the CD to a floppy and describes its
installation. It says:
"Boot from the Windows CD to install the RAID drivers. When install XP from
the HDDs in Serial ATA controller, press F6 as XP boots up, then supply
serial ATA controller driver by this floppy disk."

The MB manual does not explain very well the differences between two
features on the MB;
a) the on-board SATA Raid (the ICH6R chipset) and
b) the on-board IDE Raid )IDE2, IDE3) which has a built in VT6410 chipset.
Both support RAID0.

The Gigabyte CD has a collection of 'Chipsets/Serial-ATA/RAID Network/Audio
drivers. There's a choice of 17 RAID drivers on the CD under which include
ones called 'Promise, Hance rapids, and Si3144 - all of which I think are
irrelevant. Also present, however, are three which might be correct, one
called 'Via 6410 RAID', 'GIGARAID' and 'SCSI'.
I've tried the first one but this does not solve the 'no hard drives'
message.

Can anyone advise on this probleb?

TIA

Ray

Youll want youre SATA drives connected to the intel controller,to set-up with
F6 only select the ICH6R or 82801 or 82802 or similiar,you'll also need to
configure the RAID array and enable it in BIOS,usually 2-3 places,advanced
chipset,integrated perephanals,then set up in sub-BIOS menu,after youve
exitted reg BIOS,for more info
try:http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/
desktop/sb/CS-010695.htm
Youre board uses RAID application accelerator matrix edition.Chk
downloads,chip
set software.

Ray Wrote:
> I'm having no success trying to install Win XP on a brand new computer.
>
> A system has been built to the following spec:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro.
> This has an on-board SATA RAID ICH6R chipset and an IDE RAID VT6410
> chipset.
>
> Hard Drives: 2 x Hitachi 160GB SATA 7200RPM
>
> Memory: 2 x 512MB 533MHz DDR2 Kingston
>
> CPU: Pentium 4 540
>
> Graphics: Sparkle 6600GT PCI E 128MB TD
>
> A DVD recorder and DVD combo is fitted.
>
> The computer builders were informed that I wanted the machine with the
> RAM
> to be configured in dual channel mode and with the drives configured in
> RAID
> O. No OS was ordered as I would install my own Windows XP Pro Corp
> with SP.
> I wanted the machine set up in this fashion insofar as was possible.
>
> I'm not sure if the Bios settings are OK or whay changes if any to
> make but
> when Setup begins, it very soon reports that it cannot find any hard
> drives
> on the machine.
>
> I am not sure if this is solely due to the driver and RAID software
> installation. The MB came with a CD and IDE RAIDE function manual
> which
> deals with transferring a driver from the CD to a floppy and describes
> its
> installation. It says:
> "Boot from the Windows CD to install the RAID drivers. When install XP
> from
> the HDDs in Serial ATA controller, press F6 as XP boots up, then
> supply
> serial ATA controller driver by this floppy disk."
>
> The MB manual does not explain very well the differences between two
> features on the MB;
> a) the on-board SATA Raid (the ICH6R chipset) and
> b) the on-board IDE Raid )IDE2, IDE3) which has a built in VT6410
> chipset.
> Both support RAID0.
>
> The Gigabyte CD has a collection of 'Chipsets/Serial-ATA/RAID
> Network/Audio
> drivers. There's a choice of 17 RAID drivers on the CD under which
> include
> ones called 'Promise, Hance rapids, and Si3144 - all of which I think
> are
> irrelevant. Also present, however, are three which might be correct,
> one
> called 'Via 6410 RAID', 'GIGARAID' and 'SCSI'.
> I've tried the first one but this does not solve the 'no hard drives'
> message.
>
> Can anyone advise on this probleb?
>
> TIA
>
> Ray
Yup,
Sounds like the chipset drivers aren't getting installed. You need to
research the GA-8I915P Duo Pro mobo website to see which chipset
drivers need to be installed for that board for raid and other
functions. No drivers=no raid array.
Treeman

--
Treeman

In building a computer, the only way to tell if everything is configured
correctly is to install an operating system - which you didn't allow the
builders to do. Now you are on your own!

Do you have a floppy with the correct raid drivers available so that they
can be loaded during the install? Do you have the M/B jumpers correct
configured to allow RAID operation? Is the bios likewise correctly
configured for RAID operation? These are all things that would have been the
responsibility of the builder, had you allowed him/her to continue. Now you
have to read the M/B manual to find out what you have to do.

There is no such thing as Windows XP "CORPORATE EDITION". You are trying to
install a pirated operating system on your computer.

You spend all that money on a new computer but don't spring for a legal
operating system!

That's foolish!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Ray" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm having no success trying to install Win XP on a brand new computer.
>
> A system has been built to the following spec:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro.
> This has an on-board SATA RAID ICH6R chipset and an IDE RAID VT6410
> chipset.
>
> Hard Drives: 2 x Hitachi 160GB SATA 7200RPM
>
> Memory: 2 x 512MB 533MHz DDR2 Kingston
>
> CPU: Pentium 4 540
>
> Graphics: Sparkle 6600GT PCI E 128MB TD
>
> A DVD recorder and DVD combo is fitted.
>
> The computer builders were informed that I wanted the machine with the RAM
> to be configured in dual channel mode and with the drives configured in
> RAID
> O. No OS was ordered as I would install my own Windows XP Pro Corp with
> SP.
> I wanted the machine set up in this fashion insofar as was possible.
>
> I'm not sure if the Bios settings are OK or whay changes if any to make
> but
> when Setup begins, it very soon reports that it cannot find any hard
> drives
> on the machine.
>
> I am not sure if this is solely due to the driver and RAID software
> installation. The MB came with a CD and IDE RAIDE function manual which
> deals with transferring a driver from the CD to a floppy and describes its
> installation. It says:
> "Boot from the Windows CD to install the RAID drivers. When install XP
> from
> the HDDs in Serial ATA controller, press F6 as XP boots up, then supply
> serial ATA controller driver by this floppy disk."
>
> The MB manual does not explain very well the differences between two
> features on the MB;
> a) the on-board SATA Raid (the ICH6R chipset) and
> b) the on-board IDE Raid )IDE2, IDE3) which has a built in VT6410 chipset.
> Both support RAID0.
>
> The Gigabyte CD has a collection of 'Chipsets/Serial-ATA/RAID
> Network/Audio
> drivers. There's a choice of 17 RAID drivers on the CD under which
> include
> ones called 'Promise, Hance rapids, and Si3144 - all of which I think are
> irrelevant. Also present, however, are three which might be correct, one
> called 'Via 6410 RAID', 'GIGARAID' and 'SCSI'.
> I've tried the first one but this does not solve the 'no hard drives'
> message.
>
> Can anyone advise on this probleb?
>
> TIA
>
> Ray

Richard, that's a helpful reply.. though I guess your sig says it all
really.

Ray, why not phone the builders and ask them how to go about it..

> [...]
>> serial ATA controller driver by this floppy disk."
>>
>> The MB manual does not explain very well the differences between two
>> features on the MB;
>> a) the on-board SATA Raid (the ICH6R chipset) and
>> b) the on-board IDE Raid )IDE2, IDE3) which has a built in VT6410
>> chipset.
>> Both support RAID0.
>>
>> The Gigabyte CD has a collection of 'Chipsets/Serial-ATA/RAID
>> Network/Audio
>> drivers. There's a choice of 17 RAID drivers on the CD under which
>> include
>> ones called 'Promise, Hance rapids, and Si3144 - all of which I think are
>> irrelevant. Also present, however, are three which might be correct, one
>> called 'Via 6410 RAID', 'GIGARAID' and 'SCSI'.
>> I've tried the first one but this does not solve the 'no hard drives'

I told him what to do. Get drivers, check jumpers, check bios and read
manual. If he brought me the computer to work on that's exactly what I would
have to do.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban