Problem installing XP SP2 on new SATA HD with MSI RS480M2-IL

Bought this today for 70 GBP together with the Athlon 64 3000+

I set up the SATA controller as IDE. The single HD was detected in the
bios on IDE Channel 2. XP setup did not recognise the drive, whether or
not I pressed F6 and selected the Si3112 RAID controller driver off the
floppy. I used the latest drivers from MSI and a new Hitachi Deskstar
160GB.

Of course, I tried setting the SATA controller as RAID, pressed F6,
loaded the driver, crossed my fingers, and "Setup did not find any hard
disk drives ..."

So how do I install XP on a single bare SATA HD configured as IDE on
this mobo?

John Russell wrote:
> There are two types of driver on the disk, but your only need both when
> using the Raid function i.e. more than 1 drive. These are the IDE Controller
> Driver, which you need, and the Raid Driver, which combines mutiple disks
> via the IDE Controller Driver, which you don't. When you only have a single
> drive you ignore all Raid options in the bios and treat the thing as a
> normal IDE controller.

And when I treat the thing as a normal IDE controller, XP setup ignores
it. I have looked for the IDE controller driver of which you speak, but
it is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions as to where it might be?

halbardicus wrote:

> And when I treat the thing as a normal IDE controller, XP setup ignores
> it. I have looked for the IDE controller driver of which you speak, but
> it is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions as to where it might be?

Perhaps I should clarify the situation. When I leave XP setup
unattended, it fails to find any mass storage device (... Press F3 to
quit). So I deduce that some sort of driver is required. I could be on
to something. No fool me.

The floppy that comes with the motherboard has two drivers which, setup
tells me, are:

Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows XP/Server
2003
Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows NT 4.0 and
2000

Since neither of these drivers allows setup to recognise my HD, which
sits there undetected on IDE channel 2 (as the bios happily reports), I
am sad. I look on the floppy and find Si3112r.sys, SI3112r.inf (and
various other files of the form *r.*). Perhaps the "r" in these
filenames stands for RAID? Now I begin to suspect, dimly, that the
floppy has only RAID drivers. Only RAID drivers? No wonder they won't
work (feigns outrage). Oh, bother.

Hang on. Wait a moment. I have an idea. Perhaps some sort of SATAIde
Controller driver is needed? Could it be true? Really? It .. it's
brilliant! Heaven be praised. I proceed to wet myself out of joy and
anticipation.

OK, calm down boy. Take it easy. Dry yourself off. Why not find and
download to floppy a thing called

Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATALink Controller driver

which might just be what you're looking for (thinks of cowboy riding
off into sunset, gal, guitar music, end credits)?

Unfortunately they don't work (Setup cannot..., press F3..., usual
microsoft aftercare)

So, I am back to my original question: what do I do now?

"halbardicus" <halbard7@aol.com> wrote in message
> Bought this today for 70 GBP together with the Athlon 64 3000+
>
> I set up the SATA controller as IDE. The single HD was detected in the
> bios on IDE Channel 2. XP setup did not recognise the drive, whether or
> not I pressed F6 and selected the Si3112 RAID controller driver off the
> floppy. I used the latest drivers from MSI and a new Hitachi Deskstar
> 160GB.
>
> Of course, I tried setting the SATA controller as RAID, pressed F6,
> loaded the driver, crossed my fingers, and "Setup did not find any hard
> disk drives ..."
>
> So how do I install XP on a single bare SATA HD configured as IDE on
> this mobo?

There are two types of driver on the disk, but your only need both when
using the Raid function i.e. more than 1 drive. These are the IDE Controller
Driver, which you need, and the Raid Driver, which combines mutiple disks
via the IDE Controller Driver, which you don't. When you only have a single
drive you ignore all Raid options in the bios and treat the thing as a
normal IDE controller.

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On 10 Jun 2005 16:09:43 -0700, "halbardicus" <halbard7@aol.com> wrote:

>Bought this today for 70 GBP together with the Athlon 64 3000+
>
>I set up the SATA controller as IDE. The single HD was detected in the
>bios on IDE Channel 2. XP setup did not recognise the drive, whether or
>not I pressed F6 and selected the Si3112 RAID controller driver off the
>floppy. I used the latest drivers from MSI and a new Hitachi Deskstar
>160GB.
>
>Of course, I tried setting the SATA controller as RAID, pressed F6,
>loaded the driver, crossed my fingers, and "Setup did not find any hard
>disk drives ..."
>
>So how do I install XP on a single bare SATA HD configured as IDE on
>this mobo?

Try this link
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#3_3

Under the "no boot" links pick sata configuration

There is a section on installing a single SATA drive with XP

HTH
Gollum

Gollum wrote:

> Try this link
> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#3_3
>

> Under the "no boot" links pick sata configuration
>
> There is a section on installing a single SATA drive with XP
>
> HTH
> Gollum

Thanks. This is much more helpful. Regretfully, the ATI SB400/Silicon
Image chipset is not covered in the troubleshooting guide, only VIA,
Intel and Promise. The bios settings are dissimilar. Perhaps the ATI
chipset is too recent? That aside, it does suggest one or two paths to
pursue. I will give them a try.

MSI have non-raid x64 drivers, but none 32 bit. Puzzling.

Has no-one else met, let alone solved, this specific problem on this
mobo?
Am I being stupid?

"" wrote:
> Gollum wrote:
> >
> > Try this link
> > http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#3_3
> >

> > Under the "no boot" links pick sata configuration
> >
> > There is a section on installing a single SATA drive with XP
> >
> > HTH
> > Gollum
>
> Thanks. This is much more helpful. Regretfully, the ATI
> SB400/Silicon
> Image chipset is not covered in the troubleshooting guide,
> only VIA,
> Intel and Promise. The bios settings are dissimilar. Perhaps
> the ATI
> chipset is too recent? That aside, it does suggest one or two
> paths to
> pursue. I will give them a try.
>
> MSI have non-raid x64 drivers, but none 32 bit. Puzzling.
>
> Has no-one else met, let alone solved, this specific problem
> on this
> mobo?
> Am I being stupid?

hi

i had the same problem with this motherboard and a Western Digital
Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB drive (and i have a PATA drive on primary
master) :roll:

on Integrated peripherals -> South OnChip PCI Device->OnBoard Chip
SATA: IDE Controller

- Install Windows XP x64 edition without problems on SATA drive
- installing without RAID (SATARaid) floppy drives
- Problem: Boot from PATA

Choosing SATA as first boot drive i got this error:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSTERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER :x

and installing Windows with RAID (SATARaid) floppy drives: same!!!

on Integrated peripherals -> South OnChip PCI Device->OnBoard Chip
SATA: Raid Controller

- Windows setup program doesn’t detect SATA drive (with or without
RAID SATARaid drives)
- On boot pressing on RAID Configuration can’t do anything , can’t
create a RAID array because "no enought drives" error msg :(

i had latest bios on my motherboard, i had RAID SATARaid drives for
AMD64

nothing!!! 8O 8O 8O

i think the problem is detected since windows installation, the PATA’s
first
partion is C and SATA’s first partition is D, no matter if SATA is
configurated as first boot priority :?

can anyone resolve this?? :(

thanks :D

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-Problem-installing-XP-SP2-SATA-HD-RS480M2-IL-ftopict57275.html