dual boot xp with xp

Has anyone tried to dual boot xp with xp. if so how do you do it?

R.C.,

I think this is the link you meant?!?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_jeon.asp

By the way, does this work for XP Home, as well, or just PRO edition?

r.

R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, mwm.
>
> Yep! It's easy. Automatic, in fact, so long as you follow the basic
> rule, which is to install each copy into a different volume (primary
> partition, or logical drive in an extended partition, on any HD in
> your computer).
> With the first copy installed, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let
> Setup run again. Tell it to do a clean install and tell it where to
> put the second copy (D:? E:? X:?). Then just sit back and wait
> until it is finished. Setup will update C:\boot.ini to include the
> new copy of WinXP; you will need to choose each time you reboot. There
> will be only a single System Partition (Drive C:, typically),
> plus a Boot Volume - where the \Windows folder resides - for each
> installation. Often, C: is the Boot Volume for the first copy of
> WinXP, as well as the System Partition. A typical setup might have
> C:\Windows and D:\Windows.
> That's all there is to it, although you may want to tweak some
> things. For example, you can edit C:\boot.ini to shorten (to zero?)
> the time the opening menu is displayed.
>
> Some worry that the EULA requires a separate license for each copy of
> WinXP installed. But see this page from the online version of the
> WinXP Pro Resource Kit:
> Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
>
> URLs don't always hit the page I'm aiming at in the RK, but it's in
> Chapter 28, Troubleshooting Startup, in case you get lost. In fact,
> there's LOTS of good information in the RK that you might enjoy and
> learn from.
> RC
>
> "mwm" <mwm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried to dual boot xp with xp. if so how do you do it?

There is one thing that R.C. forgot to mention and that is you *CANNOT* dual
boot using the same key - if you wish to dual boot you will need to purchase
a second licence - otherwise you are in violation of the EULA and the second
installation will fail to activate.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
> R. C. White wrote:
>> Hi, mwm.
>>
>> Yep! It's easy. Automatic, in fact, so long as you follow the basic
>> rule, which is to install each copy into a different volume (primary
>> partition, or logical drive in an extended partition, on any HD in
>> your computer).
>> With the first copy installed, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let
>> Setup run again. Tell it to do a clean install and tell it where to
>> put the second copy (D:? E:? X:?). Then just sit back and wait
>> until it is finished. Setup will update C:\boot.ini to include the
>> new copy of WinXP; you will need to choose each time you reboot. There
>> will be only a single System Partition (Drive C:, typically),
>> plus a Boot Volume - where the \Windows folder resides - for each
>> installation. Often, C: is the Boot Volume for the first copy of
>> WinXP, as well as the System Partition. A typical setup might have
>> C:\Windows and D:\Windows.
>> That's all there is to it, although you may want to tweak some
>> things. For example, you can edit C:\boot.ini to shorten (to zero?)
>> the time the opening menu is displayed.
>>
>> Some worry that the EULA requires a separate license for each copy of
>> WinXP installed. But see this page from the online version of the
>> WinXP Pro Resource Kit:
>> Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
>>
>> URLs don't always hit the page I'm aiming at in the RK, but it's in
>> Chapter 28, Troubleshooting Startup, in case you get lost. In fact,
>> there's LOTS of good information in the RK that you might enjoy and
>> learn from.
>> RC
>>
>> "mwm" <mwm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone tried to dual boot xp with xp. if so how do you do it?
>
> There is one thing that R.C. forgot to mention and that is you *CANNOT*
> dual boot using the same key - if you wish to dual boot you will need to
> purchase a second licence - otherwise you are in violation of the EULA and
> the second installation will fail to activate.

Exactly how is this in violation of the EULA, as it says one PC per license,
and that key is being used on only one PC. Also, the key will activate just
fine, since the hard hash is exactly the same. By the way, I bought the
software, not a license.

Thank you,

> [...]
> must not be permanent, or that there cannot be more than two parallel
> installs.
>
> I've never had WinXP Home and I don't know for sure if the parallel
> install (or dual-boot) would work. But it has worked for me with WinNT4,
> Win2K Pro, WinXP Pro, Win2K3 Server and Longhorn, so I expect it would
> work fine with WinXP Home. By the way, you can also have a single
> instance of Win9x/ME installed along with multiple instances of Win2K/XP,
> etc.; it's easy if Win9x/ME is installed FIRST and the newest Windows is
> installed LAST.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>> R.C.,
>>
>> I think this is the link you meant?!?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_jeon.asp
>>
>> By the way, does this work for XP Home, as well, or just PRO edition?
>>
>> r.
>>

>> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, mwm.
>>>
>>> Yep! It's easy. Automatic, in fact, so long as you follow the basic
>>> rule, which is to install each copy into a different volume (primary
>>> partition, or logical drive in an extended partition, on any HD in your
>>> computer).
>>>
>>> With the first copy installed, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let Setup
>>> run again. Tell it to do a clean install and tell it where to put the
>>> second copy (D:? E:? X:?). Then just sit back and wait until it is
>>> finished. Setup will update C:\boot.ini to include the new copy of
>>> WinXP; you will need to choose each time you reboot. There will be only
>>> a single System Partition (Drive C:, typically), plus a Boot Volume -
>>> where the \Windows folder resides - for each installation. Often, C: is
>>> the Boot Volume for the first copy of WinXP, as well as the System
>>> Partition. A typical setup might have C:\Windows and D:\Windows.
>>>
>>> That's all there is to it, although you may want to tweak some things.
>>> For example, you can edit C:\boot.ini to shorten (to zero?) the time the
>>> opening menu is displayed.
>>>
>>> Some worry that the EULA requires a separate license for each copy of
>>> WinXP installed. But see this page from the online version of the WinXP
>>> Pro Resource Kit:
>>> Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
>>>
>>> URLs don't always hit the page I'm aiming at in the RK, but it's in
>>> Chapter 28, Troubleshooting Startup, in case you get lost. In fact,
>>> there's LOTS of good information in the RK that you might enjoy and

no you did not buy the software
you bought a copy of the licence

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>> R. C. White wrote:
>>> Hi, mwm.
>>>
>>> Yep! It's easy. Automatic, in fact, so long as you follow the basic
>>> rule, which is to install each copy into a different volume (primary
>>> partition, or logical drive in an extended partition, on any HD in
>>> your computer).
>>> With the first copy installed, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and let
>>> Setup run again. Tell it to do a clean install and tell it where to
>>> put the second copy (D:? E:? X:?). Then just sit back and wait
>>> until it is finished. Setup will update C:\boot.ini to include the
>>> new copy of WinXP; you will need to choose each time you reboot. There
>>> will be only a single System Partition (Drive C:, typically),
>>> plus a Boot Volume - where the \Windows folder resides - for each
>>> installation. Often, C: is the Boot Volume for the first copy of
>>> WinXP, as well as the System Partition. A typical setup might have
>>> C:\Windows and D:\Windows.
>>> That's all there is to it, although you may want to tweak some
>>> things. For example, you can edit C:\boot.ini to shorten (to zero?)
>>> the time the opening menu is displayed.
>>>
>>> Some worry that the EULA requires a separate license for each copy of
>>> WinXP installed. But see this page from the online version of the
>>> WinXP Pro Resource Kit:
>>> Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
>>>
>>> URLs don't always hit the page I'm aiming at in the RK, but it's in
>>> Chapter 28, Troubleshooting Startup, in case you get lost. In fact,
>>> there's LOTS of good information in the RK that you might enjoy and
>>> learn from.
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "mwm" <mwm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> There is one thing that R.C. forgot to mention and that is you *CANNOT*
>> dual boot using the same key - if you wish to dual boot you will need to
>> purchase a second licence - otherwise you are in violation of the EULA
>> and the second installation will fail to activate.
>>

> Exactly how is this in violation of the EULA, as it says one PC per
> license, and that key is being used on only one PC. Also, the key will
> activate just fine, since the hard hash is exactly the same. By the way, I
> bought the software, not a license.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No, I bought software, and it says so right on the reciept
I got with it. Also, it doesn't mention anything on the
box that I am buying a license, the only mention is
regarding the licensing agreement, which cannot be read
until you open the box, and use the disk in the CDROM.

Even then, the wording in the EULA does not make it clear
how many times I can use the same disk on the same PC,
since I can only run one instance of the (or any) install
at any one time.

location, you can perform a parallel Windows XP Professional installation.

my comments

Please note that the purpose of dual boot 1 licence WinXP is to salvage data
files and not to run 2 copies of WinXP in 1 computer system. After the data
files are recovered, users are advise to format the hard disk and reinstall
WinXP + SP2 + SP3

Activating the 2nd copy is not necessary since it will be deleted after data
are recovered.

Legally you cannot run 2 copies of WinXP in one system, but if without
morals, you can.

D@annyBoy wrote:
> no you did not buy the software
> you bought a copy of the licence
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message

>>> There is one thing that R.C. forgot to mention and that is you
>>> *CANNOT* dual boot using the same key - if you wish to dual boot
>>> you will need to purchase a second licence - otherwise you are in
>>> violation of the EULA and the second installation will fail to
>>> activate.
>>
>> Exactly how is this in violation of the EULA, as it says one PC per
>> license, and that key is being used on only one PC.

No it doesn't. You haven't read the EULA at all have you? It's all there;
Section 1, Paragraph 1.

"GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that
you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
*ONE* copy of the Software on a single computer..."

Also, the key will activate just fine, since the hard hash is exactly the
same.

Sorry, idiot, but it won't for the reason specified above. When the online
activation checks its database, it will discover that the software has
already been activated once on that system. As the EULA states that you can
only run *ONE* copy per system, activation of the second - and subsequent
copies - will fail. The same thing will happen if you attempt to do so by
phone, too.

By the way, I bought the software, not a license.

You bought the software, did you?! Wow - you must have won the lottery a
couple of thousand times over to afford that! As you now own all rights to
Windows XP, could you give us some idea as to the release date of SP3? Or
maybe there isn't going to be an SP3 - could you enlighten us?

I don't believe I've awarded my Moron of the Month Award for March. If I
haven't, you've definitely made the shortlist.

Why would anyone be so anal as to make such a big deal if he installs 2 or
12 installs of software that he paid for on the same machine....what's he
going to do, switch back and forth really quick and cheat Microsoft out
of...out of...hmmm, well, out of getting paid more money for nothing? Maybe
he can't run both copies at once, but it's there, sitting there, breaking
laws just by existing, evil for sure.

I think he owns the CD, which has a copy of the software on it. If he wants
to consider that "buying" the software, what do you care? You call HIM a
moron and then you ask HIM when service pack 3 is coming out? Who sounds
like the moron there?

This is so utterly ridiculous, I'd have thought only a worthless lawyer or
wannabe worthless lawyer would argue about such trivial, insignificant
nitpickey details such as this...he just asked if he could make it dual
boot, not for all the worthless tripe that followed. Call the FBI, report
him, he's a wrongdoer, even thinking he bought software, can you imagine?
He needs to be stopped now, imagine running two copies of software you
bought (oops, sorry), one at a time, on the same machine, that's as
outrageous as watching TV and not watching the commercials. Geez, maybe
he'd figure out a way to make them both run at once on the same machine,
agh, he has to be stopped!!

Get a life. At least you chose your last name well, may want to rethink the
first one though.

Gary

D@annyBoy wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_jeon.asp
>
> Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation
>
> Infrequently, startup files and critical areas on the hard disk become
> corrupted. If you are mainly concerned with salvaging readable data
> files and using the Backup tool to copy them to backup media or a
> network location, you can perform a parallel Windows XP Professional
> installation.
>

> my comments
>

> format the hard disk and reinstall WinXP + SP2 + SP3

SP3, eh? ;o) As Windows SPs are cumulative, if there ever is an SP3,
(re)installing SPs 1 and 2 won't be necessary.