Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:43:39 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Would upgrading to 400mhz DDR make a big difference, I curently have 1 gig
>333mhz?

IMHO no. I am assuming that your mb/cpu supports the higher bus speed.
Unless you are running something very memory intensive I would doubt
you will notice the difference.

If you are running large CAD files you might notice a difference. If
you are gaming you would probably be better off putting the money into
a better graphics card ( assuming that you dont have the latest and
greatest.)

Actually going from double sided ram to single sided would probably
make more of a difference. :>)

Gollum

mark

"Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:43:39 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Would upgrading to 400mhz DDR make a big difference, I curently have 1 gig
>>333mhz?
>>
> IMHO no. I am assuming that your mb/cpu supports the higher bus speed.
> Unless you are running something very memory intensive I would doubt
> you will notice the difference.
>
> If you are running large CAD files you might notice a difference. If
> you are gaming you would probably be better off putting the money into
> a better graphics card ( assuming that you dont have the latest and
> greatest.)
>
> Actually going from double sided ram to single sided would probably
> make more of a difference. :>)
>

> Gollum

My MB will support 400mhz, I currently have a Barton 2600 Chip and PC2700
ram. I do alot of video rendering and photo editing on the PC. Curious as
why single sided is better than double sided RAM?
Also would it matter having the Chip at 333mhz and the ram at 400mhz?
Thanks for the help.
Mark

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:17:31 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Also would it matter having the Chip at 333mhz and the ram at 400mhz?

If the CPU is running at 333 then the higher speed of the RAM will not
be utilized.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

wrote:

>"Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:43:39 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Would upgrading to 400mhz DDR make a big difference, I curently have 1 gig
>>>333mhz?
>>>
>> IMHO no. I am assuming that your mb/cpu supports the higher bus speed.
>> Unless you are running something very memory intensive I would doubt
>> you will notice the difference.
>>
>> If you are running large CAD files you might notice a difference. If
>> you are gaming you would probably be better off putting the money into
>> a better graphics card ( assuming that you dont have the latest and
>> greatest.)
>>
>> Actually going from double sided ram to single sided would probably
>> make more of a difference. :>)
>>

>> Gollum
>>

>My MB will support 400mhz, I currently have a Barton 2600 Chip and PC2700
>ram. I do alot of video rendering and photo editing on the PC. Curious as
>why single sided is better than double sided RAM?
>Also would it matter having the Chip at 333mhz and the ram at 400mhz?
>Thanks for the help.
>Mark

As far as I know the Barton 2600 only supports a 333 fsb. So when you
set the bios to 166 the ram runs at 333. I don't think the cpu will
run at a setting of 200 (fsb 400)

I guess that the ss ram has less overhead. Less chips = less
connections.

The PC3200 ram MIGHT run at better timings even though you are running
it at 333.

I have a KT6 Delta LSR with a Barton 2400+that runs well on 1GB of
Corsair Value Select PC3200 but it didn't like a different brand. The
other brand runs fine on a SOYO board with a Barton 2500+.

Running Photoshop CS was slow with 512 in the above computer. Going to
1GB made a noticeable change for the better. Maybe you would be better
off just adding more memory.

Gollum

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Bob" <spam@spamcop.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:17:31 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Also would it matter having the Chip at 333mhz and the ram at 400mhz?
>
> If the CPU is running at 333 then the higher speed of the RAM will not
> be utilized.

Not true, because most chipsets allow the memory to run asynchronously. He
can set the memory at 400 MHz (PC3200) and the CPU can stay at 333 MHz.