How do I add new single SATA drive as non-boot drive?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 16, 2005 10:31:20 AM

I've just completed a new PC build using a 875P NEO-FIS2R. I've
installed my existing ATA100 100gb boot drive with WinXP home on IDE1
connector. I've installed my existing DVD drive on IDE2 connector set
as master and my existing CD drive on IDE2 as slave.

How do I setup a new single SATA drive connected to SATA connector
ser1? I want this to be used as a second drive for data (games!) but
NOT setup as RAID.
June 16, 2005 12:46:49 PM

When I booted for the xth time, after the WinXP reactivation sequence
and video card/monitor reconfiguration from VGA256 mode, Admin/Disk
Management displayed only the ATA100 boot drive (C:) . I then ran
LiveUpdate, which already was installed on my boot drive since the
previous PC used a MSI mainboard. It found the 10/2004 BIOS update
which I installed and rebooted. I ran LiveUpdate again and downloaded
and installed GigaBit Internet, ICH5R driver, and SoundMax driver and
rebooted again. Still the same result -- SATA wasn't recognized. I
decided to get smart and actually read the manual! I thought I
understood I could change the BIOS setting "P-ATA only" to "P-ATA +
S-ATA". Once I did that and rebooted, the SATA drive was visible (it
was partitioned into 2 equal parts -- with data on one partition!!!). I
thought my local PC shop was selling me new OEM drive but I guess not!!
No biggy -- downloaded the manufacturer's drive utility from the
website and formatted/partitioned the drive.

It was then that I realized that even with both the ATA100 boot drive
AND the SATA drive visible, the DVD and CD were no longer present.

Any detailed instructions from anyone with a similar setup is greatly
appreciated!
June 16, 2005 1:41:54 PM

"Zappattazz" <zappattazz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've just completed a new PC build using a 875P NEO-FIS2R. I've
> installed my existing ATA100 100gb boot drive with WinXP home on IDE1
> connector. I've installed my existing DVD drive on IDE2 connector set
> as master and my existing CD drive on IDE2 as slave.
>
> How do I setup a new single SATA drive connected to SATA connector
> ser1? I want this to be used as a second drive for data (games!) but
> NOT setup as RAID.

You will still need to add the sata raid drivers...then hook it up...you
won't have to setup a raid..just go to disk management in Admin tools and
format and partition.
June 16, 2005 8:40:56 PM

On 16 Jun 2005 08:46:49 -0700, "Zappattazz" <zappattazz@comcast.net>
wrote:

>When I booted for the xth time, after the WinXP reactivation sequence
>and video card/monitor reconfiguration from VGA256 mode, Admin/Disk
>Management displayed only the ATA100 boot drive (C:) . I then ran
>LiveUpdate, which already was installed on my boot drive since the
>previous PC used a MSI mainboard. It found the 10/2004 BIOS update
>which I installed and rebooted. I ran LiveUpdate again and downloaded
>and installed GigaBit Internet, ICH5R driver, and SoundMax driver and
>rebooted again. Still the same result -- SATA wasn't recognized. I
>decided to get smart and actually read the manual! I thought I
>understood I could change the BIOS setting "P-ATA only" to "P-ATA +
>S-ATA". Once I did that and rebooted, the SATA drive was visible (it
>was partitioned into 2 equal parts -- with data on one partition!!!). I
>thought my local PC shop was selling me new OEM drive but I guess not!!
>No biggy -- downloaded the manufacturer's drive utility from the
>website and formatted/partitioned the drive.
>
>It was then that I realized that even with both the ATA100 boot drive
>AND the SATA drive visible, the DVD and CD were no longer present.
>
>Any detailed instructions from anyone with a similar setup is greatly
>appreciated!

Look in the BIOS to find out what drive is being treated by the BIOS
as the boot drive.

Also use MBR Wizard to discover whether the new drive is Active. If
so, make it inactive. But even then the Phoenix Award BIOS may
consider it the boot drive.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"