CPU support for KT4V

Now im thinking of maxing out my current mainboard with a new cpu, but two
issues have come up.
1. Will my KT4V support a barton 3200+?
The latest BIOS says it fixed an issue with the 3200+, but I can't find
anywhere that it says the cpu is directly supported. I'm also curious how
the cpu would clock with the multiplier since currently it goes to 13 only
and wouldn't seem to go high enough.
2. Can my board support 400FSB? Currently I suspect no, but I just want to
make sure. I also understand they are not downwards compatible?

-Philburg

Philburg wrote:

> Now im thinking of maxing out my current mainboard with a new cpu, but two
> issues have come up.
> 1. Will my KT4V support a barton 3200+?
> The latest BIOS says it fixed an issue with the 3200+, but I can't find
> anywhere that it says the cpu is directly supported. I'm also curious how
> the cpu would clock with the multiplier since currently it goes to 13 only
> and wouldn't seem to go high enough.
> 2. Can my board support 400FSB? Currently I suspect no, but I just want to
> make sure. I also understand they are not downwards compatible?
>
> -Philburg

Hi,

This:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=362&kind=1

seems to indicate that it doesn't...

BTW, the latest BIOS (1.C) here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=362&kind=1

says "3000+ CPU", not 3200+...

Jim

Dino

no..that board does not support a 200FSB ( PC3200)..
the multiplier would not matter since an XP3200 only runs at 11 x 200..

Well the thing with that, a barton can't run a 200x11 when the FSB is 333.
The number I would be dealing with is either 133 or 166 x whatever
multiplier. so 166x13 best equal a 3000+ or im screwed it seems.

Thanks for the repy ohaya, i must have picked up on the wrong bios when I
saw that 3200+ comment. I guess I just dreamed up this 3200+ 333 FSB cpu,
damn ebay. Always disappoints me how my motherboard was obsolete within
months because the chipset can't pull a 400 FSB, & never got a multiplier to
run ram at 200 and the fsb at 333, but Its probably not possible without
screwing up the buses.

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> no..that board does not support a 200FSB ( PC3200)..
> the multiplier would not matter since an XP3200 only runs at 11 x 200..

Dino

there was an XP3000 333 and 400...but no Xp3200 in that style that I could
find...I had a KT4VL and got rid of it in favour of an AsusA7N8X-Deluxe
....by what I read U need a KT6 or K7N to run the XP3200

Yeah, i've come to that conclusion. The thing is I could overclock my 2500
to 3000 speeds, would it even be worth it to buy a slightly better cpu? The
reason for all these questions is I feel my cpu is a bottleneck on my new
6800 GT.

> there was an XP3000 333 and 400...but no Xp3200 in that style that I could
> find...I had a KT4VL and got rid of it in favour of an AsusA7N8X-Deluxe
> ...by what I read U need a KT6 or K7N to run the XP3200

Dino

I have 2 systems based on the A7N..1 is an A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2.0 with a
Barton 2500 and Corsair 1024 PC32002CPT..it runs at 10.5 x 210mhz with a
9600XT ATI..(it can run at 230..but I get a few errors).the second system is
an 7N8X-X with a Barton 2500 and OCZ 3 x 256 PC3200El at 200x11 with an MSI
Ti4200VTD8X..both pull awesome frame rates.you may be bottled necked due to
the CPU..but do not spend the money to upgrade just the CPU. You may as well
hang on to your money till you can afford to go to a Athlon 64. My main
system is pulling awesome benchmarks ..so for me to upgrade does not make
sense till I can afford an XP3500 at the least

Dino

also the 1 reason I switched was the KT4Vl did not really like to overclock
too much..limitation of the chipset..I think the max I ever got out of it
was 175 mhz..if you have good PC2700 ram it might take the OC..my Nanya ram
would. It did not like the OCZ and was limited to 170 mhz with it.