When i try to install programs or some demos i get an error message during
setup that says "error occured during a seek operation" and i need this
program to work so the dll for a piece of hardware will work....any help
thanks in advance.

It is possible you have a Hard Drive problem. I would run scan disk, and a
defreag. It might make the error more obvious.

For a more exhaustive hard drive scan try SpinRite from GRC.COM (Gibson
Research Corporation)
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

For the price, you might just jump right to buying a new hard drive.