Slow wireless network

My main PC has an ADSL PCI modem.

a 4 port wireless router 802.11G connects to this PC via the Ethernet card.
The product was bought from ebuyer.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E408131CA

There is a another PC that is linked by CAT 5 cable which shares the
internet.

Then there is the 3rd PC that connects to the network wirelessly.

Now the problem that I have is that the ICS on the wireless network is slow.
It takes ages to get the external host website.

If i type in a website eg www.bbc.co.uk

it will take about 15 seconds before it springs into life. This never
happened before.
I have had to configure all my IP addresses manually even specifying my
ISP's host DNS server.

Does anyone know why?

"Aosmosis" <no@smap.com> wrote in message
> My main PC has an ADSL PCI modem.
>
> a 4 port wireless router 802.11G connects to this PC via the Ethernet
> card.
> The product was bought from ebuyer.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E408131CA
>
> There is a another PC that is linked by CAT 5 cable which shares the
> internet.
>
> Then there is the 3rd PC that connects to the network wirelessly.
>
> Now the problem that I have is that the ICS on the wireless network is
> slow.
> It takes ages to get the external host website.
>
> If i type in a website eg www.bbc.co.uk
>
> it will take about 15 seconds before it springs into life. This never
> happened before.
> I have had to configure all my IP addresses manually even specifying my
> ISP's host DNS server.
>

> Does anyone know why?

Routers and access points are intended to do the internet connection sharing
for you by acting as a NAT ( Network address trasnslator ) usually as a DHCP
server to deal with internal IP addressing. They're really not meant to be
attached to a machine that's using ICS and an internal modem.

You described?

Wall outlet----->machine with internal modem running ICS--->4 port/wireless
router--->hardwired machines and wireless machines out here

Should have!

Wall Outlet---->external DSL modem--->wan port on 4 port/wireless router
with NAT enabled acting as DHCP server---->hardwired machines and misc
wireless machines out here

How to make the 1st setup work efficiently I haven't a clue and I don't
think it can be done for satisfactory throughput, perhaps someone else knows
a way? The last setup is what you really should be looking into IMHO