Help! I am trying to instal ADSL Broadband and my pc does not recognise the
hardware! When I try to check Network Connections the screen is totally
blank. Can someone help me with this dilema

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

To my knowledge as I am also using DSL with modem and wireless routers at
home, Windows does not have to recognize the hardware - if you meant that is
the DSL modem or router.

The only network hardware listed in Device Manager is network card.

A few suggestions for your reference:

(1) Network card - make sure it is under working condition in Windows,

(2) DSL connection - call your ISP and make sure the connection from it to
the modem side is good. It can be verified by the small lights on the modem
(varies so ask your ISP) or checked from their side,

(3) Any software needed: Check with your ISP if there are any software
needed to connect. Some may need PPPoE dial-up software.

Good luck.

"Panamenke" <ishabella1@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:B38ACD82-FDFA-4D20-9F8C-859F7D3D0266@microsoft.com...

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106-page1.php

xfile wrote:
| Hi,
|
| To my knowledge as I am also using DSL with modem and wireless
| routers at
| home, Windows does not have to recognize the hardware - if you meant
| that is
| the DSL modem or router.
|
| The only network hardware listed in Device Manager is network card.
|
| A few suggestions for your reference:
|
| (1) Network card - make sure it is under working condition in Windows,
|
| (2) DSL connection - call your ISP and make sure the connection from
| it to
| the modem side is good. It can be verified by the small lights on
| the modem (varies so ask your ISP) or checked from their side,
|
| (3) Any software needed: Check with your ISP if there are any software
| needed to connect. Some may need PPPoE dial-up software.

| "Panamenke" <ishabella1@yahoo.com.(donotspam)>
| ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:B38ACD82-FDFA-4D20-9F8C-859F7D3D0266@microsoft.com...
|| Help! I am trying to instal ADSL Broadband and my pc does not
|| recognise the
|| hardware! When I try to check Network Connections the screen is
|| totally blank. Can someone help me with this dilema

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:31:04 -0800, Panamenke
<ishabella1@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote:

>Help! I am trying to instal ADSL Broadband and my pc does not recognise the
>hardware! When I try to check Network Connections the screen is totally
>blank. Can someone help me with this dilema

Is your DSL modem internal or external? If it's external, then are
you connecting it to your computer via USB (yuck) or Ethernet
(preferred).

If your modem is internal, have you installed the correct drivers for
it?

If external and USB, once again have installed any drivers?

If external and ethernet, does your system recognize your Network
Interfance Card (NIC)? If not, did you install the drivers for it?

Do you see the common thread here - drivers?

bar

Basically it doesn't matter if it is internal, external, USB or Ethernet.

Windows will need the device drivers to manage and communicate with the
device.

Most ISPs will bundle an installation CD that installs their 'dialler' and
establishes the username / password. It then will setup your Browser and
email client with all Username / Passwords, aacount details, POP3 and SMTP
servers. It also will install the drivers for the modem.

At around this time you'll be prompted to connect the modem for the
installation to complete and 'hey presto'! All is fine.

"NobodyMan" wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:31:04 -0800, Panamenke
> <ishabella1@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote:
>
> >Help! I am trying to instal ADSL Broadband and my pc does not recognise the
> >hardware! When I try to check Network Connections the screen is totally
> >blank. Can someone help me with this dilema
>
> Is your DSL modem internal or external? If it's external, then are
> you connecting it to your computer via USB (yuck) or Ethernet
> (preferred).
>
> If your modem is internal, have you installed the correct drivers for
> it?
>
> If external and USB, once again have installed any drivers?
>
> If external and ethernet, does your system recognize your Network
> Interfance Card (NIC)? If not, did you install the drivers for it?
>
> Do you see the common thread here - drivers?

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Strange thing, how come my modem and routers do not need any drivers?

Dialer is indeed need for many but not all cases. For one, I don't have to
use it if the routers can do the work.

"BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:AC637757-AAC3-42C8-B985-4DDD52FE5F0F@microsoft.com...
> Basically it doesn't matter if it is internal, external, USB or Ethernet.
>
> Windows will need the device drivers to manage and communicate with the
> device.
>
> Most ISPs will bundle an installation CD that installs their 'dialler' and
> establishes the username / password. It then will setup your Browser and
> email client with all Username / Passwords, aacount details, POP3 and SMTP
> servers. It also will install the drivers for the modem.
>
> At around this time you'll be prompted to connect the modem for the
> installation to complete and 'hey presto'! All is fine.
>
> "NobodyMan" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:31:04 -0800, Panamenke
>> <ishabella1@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote:
>>
>> >Help! I am trying to instal ADSL Broadband and my pc does not recognise
>> >the
>> >hardware! When I try to check Network Connections the screen is totally
>> >blank. Can someone help me with this dilema
>>
>> Is your DSL modem internal or external? If it's external, then are
>> you connecting it to your computer via USB (yuck) or Ethernet
>> (preferred).
>>
>> If your modem is internal, have you installed the correct drivers for
>> it?
>>
>> If external and USB, once again have installed any drivers?
>>
>> If external and ethernet, does your system recognize your Network
>> Interfance Card (NIC)? If not, did you install the drivers for it?
>>
>> Do you see the common thread here - drivers?

Hi, none of my DSL routers have ever required drivers, they setup through
IE.....
ChrisC
"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Strange thing, how come my modem and routers do not need any drivers?
>
> Dialer is indeed need for many but not all cases. For one, I don't have to
> use it if the routers can do the work.
>

> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com>
> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:AC637757-AAC3-42C8-B985-4DDD52FE5F0F@microsoft.com...
>> Basically it doesn't matter if it is internal, external, USB or Ethernet.
>>
>> Windows will need the device drivers to manage and communicate with the
>> device.
>>
>> Most ISPs will bundle an installation CD that installs their 'dialler'
>> and
>> establishes the username / password. It then will setup your Browser and
>> email client with all Username / Passwords, aacount details, POP3 and
>> SMTP
>> servers. It also will install the drivers for the modem.
>>
>> At around this time you'll be prompted to connect the modem for the
>> installation to complete and 'hey presto'! All is fine.
>>
>> "NobodyMan" wrote:

>>> Is your DSL modem internal or external? If it's external, then are
>>> you connecting it to your computer via USB (yuck) or Ethernet
>>> (preferred).
>>>
>>> If your modem is internal, have you installed the correct drivers for
>>> it?
>>>
>>> If external and USB, once again have installed any drivers?
>>>
>>> If external and ethernet, does your system recognize your Network
>>> Interfance Card (NIC)? If not, did you install the drivers for it?
>>>
>>> Do you see the common thread here - drivers?

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

That's what I meant :)

"Chris Catt" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com>
???????:eBTxhptKFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi, none of my DSL routers have ever required drivers, they setup through
> IE.....
> ChrisC
> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Strange thing, how come my modem and routers do not need any drivers?
>>
>> Dialer is indeed need for many but not all cases. For one, I don't have
>> to use it if the routers can do the work.
>>

>> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> ???????:AC637757-AAC3-42C8-B985-4DDD52FE5F0F@microsoft.com...
>>> Basically it doesn't matter if it is internal, external, USB or
>>> Ethernet.
>>>
>>> Windows will need the device drivers to manage and communicate with the
>>> device.
>>>
>>> Most ISPs will bundle an installation CD that installs their 'dialler'
>>> and
>>> establishes the username / password. It then will setup your Browser
>>> and
>>> email client with all Username / Passwords, aacount details, POP3 and
>>> SMTP
>>> servers. It also will install the drivers for the modem.
>>>
>>> At around this time you'll be prompted to connect the modem for the
>>> installation to complete and 'hey presto'! All is fine.

Nobody said ROUTER"S needed drivers.

xfile wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's what I meant :)
>

> "Chris Catt" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com>
> ???????:eBTxhptKFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hi, none of my DSL routers have ever required drivers, they setup through
>>IE.....
>>ChrisC
>>"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Strange thing, how come my modem and routers do not need any drivers?
>>>
>>>Dialer is indeed need for many but not all cases. For one, I don't have
>>>to use it if the routers can do the work.
>>>

>>>"BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>>???????:AC637757-AAC3-42C8-B985-4DDD52FE5F0F@microsoft.com...

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:57:02 -0800, BAR
<BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Basically it doesn't matter if it is internal, external, USB or Ethernet.
>
>Windows will need the device drivers to manage and communicate with the
>device.

What planet were you born on? If you are running a DSL or cable modem
over Ethernet, then you don't need ANY drivers for the modem, and the
chances are extremely good that you won't need to install them for the
NIC as Windows almost always recognizes and installs correct drivers
for the NIC for you behind the scenes.

>Most ISPs will bundle an installation CD that installs their 'dialler' and
>establishes the username / password. It then will setup your Browser and
>email client with all Username / Passwords, aacount details, POP3 and SMTP
>servers. It also will install the drivers for the modem.

DSL and Cable are usually considered "always on" and as such the ISP
has no need to install their "dialer" or receive from you a
username/password. They base authentication, for the most part, on
the MAC address of the modem, although they may require further
authentication for certain aspects of the service like FTP, Mail,
and/or shell access.