Printing from command prompt

Due to our configuration at the moment, in order to print certain documents
we create a print file (xxx.prn) and send it to the printer from the command
prompt; type xxx.prn>prn or any of the other commands to print from the
prompt. This has been working fine until two days ago. Now nothing will
print using this method. The printer is working correctly. I can print a
test page, print from Word or Notepad, etc. When I try to print from the
command prompt, the printer queue icon flashes briefly in the system tray and
then disappears and nothing is output from the printer. The LPT1 port
appears to be configured correctly and is enabled in the device manager. I
know I can print these documents from Notepad or Wordpad but some of the
headers and titles don't print correctly due to various programming so I have
to be able to print from the prompt. Any suggestions what to look at next or
where to check for configuration errors? I'm stumped on this one. Thanks
for any assistance.
2 answers Last reply
More about printing command prompt

    See Bruce Sanderson's website at:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Due to our configuration at the moment, in order to print certain
    > documents
    > we create a print file (xxx.prn) and send it to the printer from the
    > command
    > prompt; type xxx.prn>prn or any of the other commands to print from the
    > prompt. This has been working fine until two days ago. Now nothing will
    > print using this method. The printer is working correctly. I can print a
    > test page, print from Word or Notepad, etc. When I try to print from the
    > command prompt, the printer queue icon flashes briefly in the system tray
    > and
    > then disappears and nothing is output from the printer. The LPT1 port
    > appears to be configured correctly and is enabled in the device manager.
    > know I can print these documents from Notepad or Wordpad but some of the
    > headers and titles don't print correctly due to various programming so I
    > have
    > to be able to print from the prompt. Any suggestions what to look at next
    > or
    > where to check for configuration errors? I'm stumped on this one. Thanks
    > for any assistance.

    Try printing like this instead

    copy rogers.txt \\server\printer

    or from a batch file

    cmd /Q /c copy rogers.txt \\server\printer > nul

    Make sure the command window you are in is CMD.exe and not COMMAND.

    "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Due to our configuration at the moment, in order to print certain
    > documents
    > we create a print file (xxx.prn) and send it to the printer from the
    > command
    > prompt; type xxx.prn>prn or any of the other commands to print from the
    > prompt. This has been working fine until two days ago. Now nothing will
    > print using this method. The printer is working correctly. I can print a
    > test page, print from Word or Notepad, etc. When I try to print from the
    > command prompt, the printer queue icon flashes briefly in the system tray
    > and
    > then disappears and nothing is output from the printer. The LPT1 port
    > appears to be configured correctly and is enabled in the device manager.
    > know I can print these documents from Notepad or Wordpad but some of the
    > headers and titles don't print correctly due to various programming so I
    > have
    > to be able to print from the prompt. Any suggestions what to look at next
    > or
    > where to check for configuration errors? I'm stumped on this one. Thanks
    > for any assistance.

Configuration Command Prompt Printers Windows XP