865 NEO2-LS: Won't detect 1 PATA Channel & can't get into ..

I have the 865 NEO2-LS board and didn't have any problems with it.

Then I bought a WD 200GB SATA HDD for it. Turned on the BIOS settings
so I could have SATA and PATA working; PATA were channels 1&2, SATA
channels 3&$. Everything worked fine, still booting from the PATA.

Installed WinXP to the SATA drive, booted from the SATA drive and
edited the boot.ini so I could choose to run the old WinXP on the PATA
or the new WinXP on the SATA. Still worked fine.

Then I started getting blue screens in the old WinXP on PATA. Then I
noticed the dreaded HDD clicking sounds.

Now, when I boot up the BIOS can't detect the PATA Channel 1 that has
my HDD and DVD/RW drive. It detects PATA Channel 2 fine, and the SATA
channels.

The kicker is, I had an older HDD that went bad on me and exhibited the
same symptoms.

So - is it just coincidence that I've had 2 HDDs go up on me, or is
there something up with the board?

mozetti@gmail.com wrote:

What version of the bios do you have? The latest will see 168gb and
above.

> I have the 865 NEO2-LS board and didn't have any problems with it.
>
> Then I bought a WD 200GB SATA HDD for it. Turned on the BIOS settings
> so I could have SATA and PATA working; PATA were channels 1&2, SATA
> channels 3&$. Everything worked fine, still booting from the PATA.
>
> Installed WinXP to the SATA drive, booted from the SATA drive and
> edited the boot.ini so I could choose to run the old WinXP on the PATA
> or the new WinXP on the SATA. Still worked fine.
>
> Then I started getting blue screens in the old WinXP on PATA. Then I
> noticed the dreaded HDD clicking sounds.
>
> Now, when I boot up the BIOS can't detect the PATA Channel 1 that has
> my HDD and DVD/RW drive. It detects PATA Channel 2 fine, and the SATA
> channels.
>
> The kicker is, I had an older HDD that went bad on me and exhibited the
> same symptoms.
>
> So - is it just coincidence that I've had 2 HDDs go up on me, or is
> there something up with the board?

It's not a capacity issue - I used the PATA 100GB hard drive for a long
time prior to these issues.

The BIOS doesn't detect the hard drive during post, and it also
wouldn't recognize the CDRW hooked up as a slave on the same channel.