KT3 Ultra2 Northbridge fan removal?

Hi all!
KT3 Ulta2 mobo with a fan onboard (guess it's the northbridge).
It's started to get REAL noisy. Has anyone run one of these with the thing
removed? Seems there's one connector and a few screws.....

Pharm..

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply.

"...The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
exposing the country to greater danger "

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:35:26 +0100, "Pharmanaut"
<les.frontalclaire@lobesvirgin.net> wrote:

>Hi all!
> KT3 Ulta2 mobo with a fan onboard (guess it's the northbridge).
>It's started to get REAL noisy. Has anyone run one of these with the thing
>removed? Seems there's one connector and a few screws.....
>
>Pharm..

I've had two different mobos with dead northbridge fans. On both I
just unplugged the connector and left the fan in place. As long as
your temps hold and you're stable, I wouldn't worry about it.

You could try to lubricate the spinning wheel after cleaning out the dust.
I did this with some oil from a sewing machine on the fan from my gf4 video
card.
..

"Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:pacxe.4$qE5.0@amstwist00...
> You could try to lubricate the spinning wheel after cleaning out the dust.
> I did this with some oil from a sewing machine on the fan from my gf4
> video
> card.
> .

Tried a drop of WD40 to no avail.. :eek:(

Hi,
WD-40 is the worst thing you can use, dismount the fan, pull the sticker off
that covers the end shaft to the fan, (becareful as you will want to use
this again later) put 1 drop of OIL light machine oil, on the end of the
shaft, you will see it with a tiny "C" clip, make sure that there is no oil
on the plastic and put the sticker back over the end. spin it up to
screaming with some compressed air, if that dosen't fix it, just get another
fan....WD-40 gets gummy after the carrier agent evaporates and causes more
problems than it cures with computer fans....at least that has been my
experience, light machine oil (like 3in1) is much better.
OR as you said, just unplug it as long as temps stay within reason...
Good luck!
"Pharmanaut" <les.frontalclaire@lobesvirgin.net> wrote in message

> --
>

> "Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> You could try to lubricate the spinning wheel after cleaning out the
>> dust.
>> I did this with some oil from a sewing machine on the fan from my gf4
>> video
>> card.
>> .
>>

> Tried a drop of WD40 to no avail.. :eek:(

The non-RAID KT3 Ultra2 doesn't come with a northbridge fan, you don't
really need it unless you're overclocking.
Robert

"Robert Akins" <robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The non-RAID KT3 Ultra2 doesn't come with a northbridge fan, you don't
> really need it unless you're overclocking.
> Robert

Been stable up until I ran MSFlight2004... MSI support has been swift in
the past so I have mailed them. you never know! I've heard of swift fan
replacement from others...

Pharm...

MSI came through and sent me a replacement fan, swiftly and courteously.
Can't fault their customer support!

Pharm..