Ipod and Pocket PC: Music

July 17, 2004 3:34:03 AM

Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model (and
configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I really don't
want to be dragging around two devices when one should do it.)

Thanks!

David

More about : ipod pocket music

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:34:04 AM

All Pocket PCs have Windows Media Player embedded in ROM. So, you can play
audio (MP3 and WMA) and video (WMV) files on any Pocket PC. You won't get as
much storage as on an iPod. But, you might be surprised by how much music
you can store in WMV format. 256 and 512MB CF and SD cards are pretty
reasonably priced these days.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

"David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> wrote in message
> Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
> another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model (and
> configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I really don't
> want to be dragging around two devices when one should do it.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

July 17, 2004 9:35:28 AM

Reply to message from "David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> (Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:34:03)
about "Ipod and Pocket PC: Music":

I have a 512mb SD card and have a couple of database 's plus 70 MP3's. I
think there should be a smaller format than MP3'S but I haven't figured
that out yet.

Bye
Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:30:53 -0400

Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model (and
configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I really don't
want to be dragging around two devices when one should do it.)

Thanks!

David
July 17, 2004 4:30:41 PM

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> (Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:34:03)
> about "Ipod and Pocket PC: Music":
>
> I have a 512mb SD card and have a couple of database 's plus 70 MP3's. I
> think there should be a smaller format than MP3'S but I haven't figured
> that out yet.
>
> Bye
> Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:30:53 -040

One way to format your music as smaller files is to use lower bitrates but
this may affect your perception of the music quality.
You haven't said what bitrate your files are, but most people seem happy
with a fixed bitrate of 128 The bigger the bitrate, the bigger your file),
or you could try variable bitrate (VBR) if your player supports them, but
any space savings can be variable depending on the music- some get bigger.
They have the advantage that complicated passages of music/songs use more
data, simpler parts use less data so can save space- but the player has to
be able to support VBR.

The best way to save space is to convert your files to wmp format, it is
generally held that a 64 bit rate is equivalent to a 128 bitrate mp3 meaning
the files will be around half the size, or you'll fit twice as much in your
available memory. Just make sure your player supports them, but since this
is the Microsoft format it is pretty likely your player will support them.
There's always other players you can download and install, there's quite a
few.

If you have created the music yourself from real CD's you can create them
again as wmp's, or there are converters for mp3 to wmp. Creating from the
original source is better than creating from a file that has already been
compressed and thrown data away.
dbPoweramp music converter is free and pretty good, but it only does mp3 as
standard, but the wmp codec (converter) is free, just follow the install
instructions carefully.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ if you are interested.

As an example in 256 Mb of memory:
(But remember this depends on your track lengths and music complexity so
these aren't set in stone, but each variation is based on the same set of
tracks)

wave files 6 tracks (uncompressed CD quality)
mp3 128 bit - 57 tracks
wmv fixed 64 bitrate - 142 tracks
wmv variable bitrate v10 - 202 tracks
wmv variable bitrate v25 - 163 tracks
wmv variable bitrate v50 - 127 tracks

This will vary depending on the tracks used, and this was based on 9 tracks.
July 17, 2004 4:30:42 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone! Do you happen to know if there is a software
program for the iPaq that syncs very well with Apple's iTunes?

David

> One way to format your music as smaller files is to use lower bitrates but
> this may affect your perception of the music quality.
> You haven't said what bitrate your files are, but most people seem happy
> with a fixed bitrate of 128 The bigger the bitrate, the bigger your file),
> or you could try variable bitrate (VBR) if your player supports them, but
> any space savings can be variable depending on the music- some get bigger.
> They have the advantage that complicated passages of music/songs use more
> data, simpler parts use less data so can save space- but the player has to
> be able to support VBR.
>
> The best way to save space is to convert your files to wmp format, it is
> generally held that a 64 bit rate is equivalent to a 128 bitrate mp3
meaning
> the files will be around half the size, or you'll fit twice as much in
your
> available memory. Just make sure your player supports them, but since this
> is the Microsoft format it is pretty likely your player will support them.
> There's always other players you can download and install, there's quite a
> few.
>
> If you have created the music yourself from real CD's you can create them
> again as wmp's, or there are converters for mp3 to wmp. Creating from the
> original source is better than creating from a file that has already been
> compressed and thrown data away.
> dbPoweramp music converter is free and pretty good, but it only does mp3
as
> standard, but the wmp codec (converter) is free, just follow the install
> instructions carefully.
> http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ if you are interested.
>
> As an example in 256 Mb of memory:
> (But remember this depends on your track lengths and music complexity so
> these aren't set in stone, but each variation is based on the same set of
> tracks)
>
> wave files 6 tracks (uncompressed CD quality)
> mp3 128 bit - 57 tracks
> wmv fixed 64 bitrate - 142 tracks
> wmv variable bitrate v10 - 202 tracks
> wmv variable bitrate v25 - 163 tracks
> wmv variable bitrate v50 - 127 tracks
>
> This will vary depending on the tracks used, and this was based on 9
tracks.

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 5:17:12 PM

If I'm not mistaken the iTunes are only MP3's so there is no syncing
required ... just copy them to the iPAQ and play them.

--
____________________
Ann
"David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:o gBjeUBbEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> Thanks for the info, everyone! Do you happen to know if there is a
software
> program for the iPaq that syncs very well with Apple's iTunes?
>
> David
>
> > One way to format your music as smaller files is to use lower bitrates
but
> > this may affect your perception of the music quality.
> > You haven't said what bitrate your files are, but most people seem happy
> > with a fixed bitrate of 128 The bigger the bitrate, the bigger your
file),
> > or you could try variable bitrate (VBR) if your player supports them,
but
> > any space savings can be variable depending on the music- some get
bigger.
> > They have the advantage that complicated passages of music/songs use
more
> > data, simpler parts use less data so can save space- but the player has
> > be able to support VBR.
> >
> > The best way to save space is to convert your files to wmp format, it is
> > generally held that a 64 bit rate is equivalent to a 128 bitrate mp3
> meaning
> > the files will be around half the size, or you'll fit twice as much in
> your
> > available memory. Just make sure your player supports them, but since
this
> > is the Microsoft format it is pretty likely your player will support
them.
> > There's always other players you can download and install, there's quite
> > few.
> >
> > If you have created the music yourself from real CD's you can create
them
> > again as wmp's, or there are converters for mp3 to wmp. Creating from
the
> > original source is better than creating from a file that has already
been
> > compressed and thrown data away.
> > dbPoweramp music converter is free and pretty good, but it only does mp3
> as
> > standard, but the wmp codec (converter) is free, just follow the install
> > instructions carefully.
> > http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ if you are interested.
> >
> > As an example in 256 Mb of memory:
> > (But remember this depends on your track lengths and music complexity so
> > these aren't set in stone, but each variation is based on the same set
of
> > tracks)
> >
> > wave files 6 tracks (uncompressed CD quality)
> > mp3 128 bit - 57 tracks
> > wmv fixed 64 bitrate - 142 tracks
> > wmv variable bitrate v10 - 202 tracks
> > wmv variable bitrate v25 - 163 tracks
> > wmv variable bitrate v50 - 127 tracks
> >
> > This will vary depending on the tracks used, and this was based on 9
> tracks.

July 17, 2004 11:48:41 PM

ANDREA LOVE wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken the iTunes are only MP3's so there is no syncing
> required ... just copy them to the iPAQ and play them.

He might mean as some MP3 player makers have made "plugins" for Itunes
that make the device appear in the left pane. I havn't found any for
PocketPC.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Check out ogg vorbis (*.ogg) as an alternative to mp3. There was little or
no reduction in quality and it also uses vbr. You can use dbpoweramp to
convert files and mortplayer to play the same on your pocket pc.

:)

- Arvind
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:26:29 AM

David wrote:
> Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
> another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model
> (and configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I
> really don't want to be dragging around two devices when one should
> do it.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

I struggled with the same dilemma and eventually got an Ipod. Never
regretted it and the 15Gb is a delight. Now my Ipaq is dedicated to
everything (including GPS) but music. No problem.

--
Brett

I couldn't find the remote control to the remote control.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 8:18:00 AM

I have a solution. I purchased a 256 CF card for my Toshiba to hold
mp3s. I got the card for $35 at Sam's Club and I use pBop which is a
iPod clone software. It has the same interface as the iPod.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:34:03 -0500, "David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> wrote:

>Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
>another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model (and
>configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I really don't
>want to be dragging around two devices when one should do it.)
>
>Thanks!
>
>David

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:53:35 AM

In the "same but different" scenario, I bought a 512mb SD card for use in my
3870 and keep my music on it. Works fine. Use an SD card read for the PC to
put the music on the card since doing it through the IPAQ takes FOREVER.
Mike R.

"jonathangoff hotmail.com" <@> wrote in message
> I have a solution. I purchased a 256 CF card for my Toshiba to hold
> mp3s. I got the card for $35 at Sam's Club and I use pBop which is a
> iPod clone software. It has the same interface as the iPod.
>
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:34:03 -0500, "David" <NoSpam@NoSpam> wrote:
>
> >Currently, I have an iPaq 3850 and would very much like to upgrade to
> >another iPaq to hold my music collection. Can anyone suggest a model
(and
> >configuration) to hold and play music like an Apple iPod? (I really
don't
> >want to be dragging around two devices when one should do it.)
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >David

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 3:16:01 AM