Reformatting External Hard Drive drom Fat to NFTS

Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my External
Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?
4 answers Last reply
More about reformatting external hard drive drom nfts

    Won't work if the driver is large than 32G. ;-)

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    > 1. Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
    > 2. Click on DISK MANAGEMENT.
    > 3. Right-click on your external drive and select FORMAT.
    > 4. Select NTFS from the File System pull-down menu.
    > 5. Click on OK.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "lacieboy" wrote:
    >
    > | Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my External
    > | Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?

    You can't convert in place.

    This is going to rather tricky. By DOS I assume you mean you're booting from
    an actual DOS diskette or using a 9x system? If the former, unless your BIOS
    provides native support for the drive *or* you have drivers that can run in
    DOS, you're out of luck. However, if you can get to the drive with real DOS
    or a 9x system, use fdisk to remove the partition, recreate the partition
    and format it.

    Why do you think you need to reformat it to FAT?

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
    > Won't work if the driver is large than 32G. ;-)
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > http://www.dts-l.org

    First of all, I'm not sure why there's a "need" to convert the file system
    on a USB/Firewire external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS. As a matter of
    fact, there's an *advantage* of employing the FAT32 file system on an EHD in
    the event a Win9x/Me OS will need to access that external drive. And to the
    best of my knowledge there's no particular performance/security advantage to
    the NTFS system insofar as it relates to a EHD.

    But setting that aside...

    I'm assuming that the OP's EHD contains programs & data that he wants to
    retain and convert to NTFS. So, if that is so, Carey's recommendation to
    format the EHD in NTFS will work, of course, but it's goodbye to all the
    contents on that disk. (On the other hand, if the OP is uninterested in
    saving that data, then Carey's recommendation is the way to go.)

    To the best of my knowledge you cannot use the convert command in an XP
    environment to convert an EHD. However, it sounds like the OP has his
    Seagate HD in a USB external enclosure. If so, presumably he can remove it
    and temporarily install it in his desktop computer and at the command prompt
    enter "convert e: /fs:ntfs" (no quotes and assuming e: is the HD to be
    converted) to perform the conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Then return the HD
    to his USB enclosure.

    (Aside to Walter Clayton: Your reference to the 32 GB limitation refers to
    the inability of XP to create FAT32 partitions > 32 GB.)
    Anna

    ARRGGGGHHH!!!!!

    Sorry.

    Reading for speed can cause comprehension problems.

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    > The OP desires to reformat from FAT to NTFS.
    > Not the other way around.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    >

    > | You can't convert in place.
    > |
    > | This is going to rather tricky. By DOS I assume you mean you're booting
    > from
    > | an actual DOS diskette or using a 9x system? If the former, unless your
    > BIOS
    > | provides native support for the drive *or* you have drivers that can run
    > in
    > | DOS, you're out of luck. However, if you can get to the drive with real
    > DOS
    > | or a 9x system, use fdisk to remove the partition, recreate the
    > partition
    > | and format it.
    > |
    > | Why do you think you need to reformat it to FAT?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Walter Clayton
    > | Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > | http://www.dts-l.org

Hardware Microsoft External Hard Drive Windows XP