Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reformatting External Hard Drive drom Fat to NFTS

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:21:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my External
Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:48:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Won't work if the driver is large than 32G. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
http://www.dts-l.org


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:euZvOkpKFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> 1. Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
> 2. Click on DISK MANAGEMENT.
> 3. Right-click on your external drive and select FORMAT.
> 4. Select NTFS from the File System pull-down menu.
> 5. Click on OK.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "lacieboy" wrote:
>
> | Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my External
> | Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:52:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can't convert in place.

This is going to rather tricky. By DOS I assume you mean you're booting from
an actual DOS diskette or using a 9x system? If the former, unless your BIOS
provides native support for the drive *or* you have drivers that can run in
DOS, you're out of luck. However, if you can get to the drive with real DOS
or a 9x system, use fdisk to remove the partition, recreate the partition
and format it.

Why do you think you need to reformat it to FAT?

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
http://www.dts-l.org


"lacieboy" <lacieboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3532838D-6999-47BF-A8E9-576919DBF560@microsoft.com...
> Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my External
> Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?
Related resources
March 18, 2005 1:17:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

>> "lacieboy" wrote:
>>
>> | Been in Dos and can't seem to do it right. Need to convert my
>> External
>> | Seagate H/D from Fat to NFTS. Can Anybody tell me how?


> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:euZvOkpKFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> 1. Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
>> 2. Click on DISK MANAGEMENT.
>> 3. Right-click on your external drive and select FORMAT.
>> 4. Select NTFS from the File System pull-down menu.
>> 5. Click on OK.
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...


"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvps.AMorg> wrote in message
news:o SzoOM0KFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Won't work if the driver is large than 32G. ;-)
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> http://www.dts-l.org


First of all, I'm not sure why there's a "need" to convert the file system
on a USB/Firewire external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS. As a matter of
fact, there's an *advantage* of employing the FAT32 file system on an EHD in
the event a Win9x/Me OS will need to access that external drive. And to the
best of my knowledge there's no particular performance/security advantage to
the NTFS system insofar as it relates to a EHD.

But setting that aside...

I'm assuming that the OP's EHD contains programs & data that he wants to
retain and convert to NTFS. So, if that is so, Carey's recommendation to
format the EHD in NTFS will work, of course, but it's goodbye to all the
contents on that disk. (On the other hand, if the OP is uninterested in
saving that data, then Carey's recommendation is the way to go.)

To the best of my knowledge you cannot use the convert command in an XP
environment to convert an EHD. However, it sounds like the OP has his
Seagate HD in a USB external enclosure. If so, presumably he can remove it
and temporarily install it in his desktop computer and at the command prompt
enter "convert e: /fs:ntfs" (no quotes and assuming e: is the HD to be
converted) to perform the conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Then return the HD
to his USB enclosure.

(Aside to Walter Clayton: Your reference to the 32 GB limitation refers to
the inability of XP to create FAT32 partitions > 32 GB.)
Anna
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

ARRGGGGHHH!!!!!

Sorry.

Reading for speed can cause comprehension problems.

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
http://www.dts-l.org


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:o MS$oY1KFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> The OP desires to reformat from FAT to NTFS.
> Not the other way around.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
>
> | You can't convert in place.
> |
> | This is going to rather tricky. By DOS I assume you mean you're booting
> from
> | an actual DOS diskette or using a 9x system? If the former, unless your
> BIOS
> | provides native support for the drive *or* you have drivers that can run
> in
> | DOS, you're out of luck. However, if you can get to the drive with real
> DOS
> | or a 9x system, use fdisk to remove the partition, recreate the
> partition
> | and format it.
> |
> | Why do you think you need to reformat it to FAT?
> |
> | --
> | Walter Clayton
> | Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> | http://www.dts-l.org
>
!