XP doesn't recognize blank DVD discs

I added a Pioneer dual-layer DVD writer to my XP Home SP2 system two
months ago and proceeded to successfully burn an image of my C: drive to
DVD+R, using Acronis True Image. Since then I haven't used the drive
much, but today tried to burn a second image and got an Acronis error
message that the "disc was full" before starting the burn. In addition,
Explorer showed the disc as full, with 0 bytes capacity. Other new
blanks (DVD-R and DVD+R listed as compatible for the drive) show the
same properties. However, the drive will burn DVD-R discs using other
burning programs, and plays both CD and DVD discs with no problem. Does
XP not recognize blank DVDs, or what's the problem? (I will, of course,
also query Acronis and Pioneer about this if necessary.)

Jester

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003

I can burn dvd+r-r+rw-rw's and cd -r+r+rw-rw's, including dual layer dvd
discs, MY copy of windows xp home CAN read blank CD/DVD's, but calls them ALL
"cd's" Ie is always says blank cd+rw in drive d: