PS/2 Keyboard to USB?

Don't laugh: Was I naive to think that I could plug my PS/2 keyboard into a
USB port if I attached a PS/2-to-USB converter to the cable? That's what I
did, and the keyboard didn't work.

Modem Ani
12 answers Last reply
More about keyboard

    Some do, some don't. And some sorta work. For instance the
    "Alt-Printscreen" won't work on the setup I am using right now with a
    PS/2- USB converter.

    Modem Ani wrote:

    > Don't laugh: Was I naive to think that I could plug my PS/2 keyboard into a
    > USB port if I attached a PS/2-to-USB converter to the cable? That's what I
    > did, and the keyboard didn't work.
    >
    > Modem Ani

    You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    else..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Don't laugh: Was I naive to think that I could plug my PS/2 keyboard into
    > USB port if I attached a PS/2-to-USB converter to the cable? That's what I
    > did, and the keyboard didn't work.
    >
    > Modem Ani

    <lol> Ain't it the truth? I'm trying to reduce the number of wires leading
    out from the back of my computer, and the base of my monitor has a built-in
    USB hub.

    Modem Ani

    > You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    > else..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > > Don't laugh: Was I naive to think that I could plug my PS/2 keyboard
    into
    > > USB port if I attached a PS/2-to-USB converter to the cable? That's what
    > > did, and the keyboard didn't work.
    > >
    > > Modem Ani

    Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the "converter".

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    > else..

    But not all PS/2 to USB convertors works! The ones that are just a PS/2 to
    USB plug may work, but depending on the keyboard. The other where there
    seems to be a control chip in between the keyboard and USB port seems to
    work better.

    > Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    > pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the
    > "converter".
    >
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    >> else..

    Bonjour Yves.

    Apparently, my simple PS/2-to-USB connector is one of those that, for some
    reason, does not work. I have also seen cables with a male USB connector and
    two female PS/2 connectors. Such cables are typically used by laptop owners,
    to connect an external keyboard and mouse with their computer. Some of these
    cables have a small 'box' where the three wires meet - perhaps this contains
    the chip to which you refer?

    Modem Ani

    > But not all PS/2 to USB convertors works! The ones that are just a PS/2
    > USB plug may work, but depending on the keyboard. The other where there
    > seems to be a control chip in between the keyboard and USB port seems to
    > work better.
    >

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    > > pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the
    > > "converter".
    > >
    > > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > >> You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious
    little
    > >> else..

    That's as maybe, but if you have them, use them..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    > pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the
    > "converter".
    >
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    >> else..

    I assume(yeah I know) that since I have seen you answering other posts that
    you enabled usb/ps2 support in bios.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > That's as maybe, but if you have them, use them..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    > > pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the
    > > "converter".
    > >
    > > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > >> You may as well use the PS/2 ports.. they can be used for precious little
    > >> else..

    tfw

    I have four USB ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has been
    allocated for use.. I have a scanner, a printer, a digital camera connection
    cable and a USB extension cable plugged into them..

    I have two PS/2 ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has been
    allocated for their use.. nothing else but mouse and keyboard work if
    plugged into them..

    If PS/2 ports are available, and both keyboard and mouse have PS/2 fittings,
    I am at a loss to understand why anybody would want to connect either device
    to USB..

    Does that answer your question?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I assume(yeah I know) that since I have seen you answering other posts that
    > you enabled usb/ps2 support in bios.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> That's as maybe, but if you have them, use them..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Actually the "latest Dells" don't have a PS/2 port, only USB. So some
    >> > pricey PS/2 programmable keyboards are being saved by using the

    Hi Mike,

    First I'll respond to your "I am at a loss to understand..." statement, then
    I'll report what I have learned since my original post.

    Because of the particular way that my computer and peripherals are setup on
    my desktop, I find it more convenient to have as few wires coming out from
    the back of my computer as possible. That's the only reason I want to plug
    my PS/2 keyboard into the USB hub built into my monitor. Strictly a matter
    of my personal convenience.

    Now...since posting I have learned that, yes, I was naive to think that all
    I needed to plug my PS/2 keyboard into a USB port is a PS/2-to-USB adapter.
    If a keyboard has the logic for USB built into it, then all you need is the
    'dumb' adapter that I bought. If the keyboard does not have the logic, the
    only thing 'dumb' is the person buying the adapter, in this case, me. Glad
    it only cost two bucks.

    For a few more dollars you can buy a cable that includes the logic, as Yves
    pointed out. Instead, I'll spend a bit more and get myself a 'real' USB
    keyboard. So now I'm in the market for a USB keyboard that has the quietest
    possible keys.

    Modem Ani

    > tfw
    >
    > I have four USB ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    been
    > allocated for use.. I have a scanner, a printer, a digital camera
    connection
    > cable and a USB extension cable plugged into them..
    >
    > I have two PS/2 ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    been
    > allocated for their use.. nothing else but mouse and keyboard work if
    > plugged into them..
    >
    > If PS/2 ports are available, and both keyboard and mouse have PS/2
    fittings,
    > I am at a loss to understand why anybody would want to connect either
    device
    > to USB..
    >
    > Does that answer your question?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I assume(yeah I know) that since I have seen you answering other posts
    that
    > > you enabled usb/ps2 support in bios.
    > >
    > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> That's as maybe, but if you have them, use them..
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Hall
    > >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > >>
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    I understand your comments re the cables.. my preference is NOT to connect
    to the front of the tower or screen.. it looks messy..

    Re. keyboard.. if you really have a thing with cables, try the wireless
    Logitech keyboard/mouse combinations.. Logitech keyboards are quieter than
    Microsoft's offerings.. and wireless gets over the cable issue too..

    --

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > First I'll respond to your "I am at a loss to understand..." statement,
    > then
    > I'll report what I have learned since my original post.
    >
    > Because of the particular way that my computer and peripherals are setup
    > on
    > my desktop, I find it more convenient to have as few wires coming out from
    > the back of my computer as possible. That's the only reason I want to plug
    > my PS/2 keyboard into the USB hub built into my monitor. Strictly a matter
    > of my personal convenience.
    >
    > Now...since posting I have learned that, yes, I was naive to think that
    > all
    > I needed to plug my PS/2 keyboard into a USB port is a PS/2-to-USB
    > adapter.
    > If a keyboard has the logic for USB built into it, then all you need is
    > the
    > 'dumb' adapter that I bought. If the keyboard does not have the logic, the
    > only thing 'dumb' is the person buying the adapter, in this case, me. Glad
    > it only cost two bucks.
    >
    > For a few more dollars you can buy a cable that includes the logic, as
    > Yves
    > pointed out. Instead, I'll spend a bit more and get myself a 'real' USB
    > keyboard. So now I'm in the market for a USB keyboard that has the
    > quietest
    > possible keys.
    >
    > Modem Ani
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> tfw
    >>
    >> I have four USB ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    > been
    >> allocated for use.. I have a scanner, a printer, a digital camera
    > connection
    >> cable and a USB extension cable plugged into them..
    >>
    >> I have two PS/2 ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    > been
    >> allocated for their use.. nothing else but mouse and keyboard work if
    >> plugged into them..
    >>
    >> If PS/2 ports are available, and both keyboard and mouse have PS/2
    > fittings,
    >> I am at a loss to understand why anybody would want to connect either
    > device
    >> to USB..
    >>
    >> Does that answer your question?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I assume(yeah I know) that since I have seen you answering other posts
    > that
    >> > you enabled usb/ps2 support in bios.

    I'll check them out. Thanks.

    Modem Ani

> [...]
    > > quietest
    > > possible keys.
    > >
    > > Modem Ani
    > >
    > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > >> tfw
    > >>
    > >> I have four USB ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    > > been
    > >> allocated for use.. I have a scanner, a printer, a digital camera
    > > connection
    > >> cable and a USB extension cable plugged into them..
    > >>
    > >> I have two PS/2 ports on the back of my computer.. system resource has
    > > been
    > >> allocated for their use.. nothing else but mouse and keyboard work if
    > >> plugged into them..
    > >>
    > >> If PS/2 ports are available, and both keyboard and mouse have PS/2
    > > fittings,
    > >> I am at a loss to understand why anybody would want to connect either

PS/2 USB Keyboards Windows XP