K7N2 Delta Will Not Post

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2005 12:38:08 AM

I have a K7N2 Delta-L that has been awesome for about 3 years. My hard
drive crashed, and upon installing a new one, I can not boot up. My
boot screen freezes after the processor is recognized. It won’t check
the memory or look for any of my IDE devices. I have cleared the CMOS.
I can’t get in to setup or anything. I tried booting without any IDE
devices connected just so I could get in to the BIOS, but I have not
had any luck. Perhaps I need a new CMOS?

I tried a couple things last night. First, I tried one RAM module at a
time and then also tried each one on each of the three slots.

I also removed the CMOS and then replaced it and tried removing the
USB mouse so that no USB devices would be present.

It keeps hanging right after the processor registers on the initial
boot screen.

I have checked all my connections with the exception of the CPU. But
if the CPU was not properly connected, wouldn’t it not register on the
initial boot screen?

I am at a loss as everything seems to be working properly - hard drive
light flickers at boot and then turns off, all fans are working great,
all lights are lighting properly, no abnormal sounds, keyboard works
great - it just won’t get to the quick memory check and beyond.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K7N2-Delta-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296106

More about : k7n2 delta post

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2005 6:50:45 AM

"jt643" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I have a K7N2 Delta-L that has been awesome for about 3 years. My hard
> drive crashed, and upon installing a new one, I can not boot up. My
> boot screen freezes after the processor is recognized. It won't check
> the memory or look for any of my IDE devices. I have cleared the CMOS.
> I can't get in to setup or anything. I tried booting without any IDE
> devices connected just so I could get in to the BIOS, but I have not
> had any luck. Perhaps I need a new CMOS?
>
> I tried a couple things last night. First, I tried one RAM module at a
> time and then also tried each one on each of the three slots.
>
> I also removed the CMOS and then replaced it and tried removing the
> USB mouse so that no USB devices would be present.
>
> It keeps hanging right after the processor registers on the initial
> boot screen.
>
> I have checked all my connections with the exception of the CPU. But
> if the CPU was not properly connected, wouldn't it not register on the
> initial boot screen?
>
> I am at a loss as everything seems to be working properly - hard drive
> light flickers at boot and then turns off, all fans are working great,
> all lights are lighting properly, no abnormal sounds, keyboard works
> great - it just won't get to the quick memory check and beyond.

So what does the D-bracket (diagnostic LED's) say?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2005 7:36:26 PM

"" wrote:
> "jt643" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> >I have a K7N2 Delta-L that has been awesome for about 3
> years. My hard
> > drive crashed, and upon installing a new one, I can not boot
> up. My
> > boot screen freezes after the processor is recognized. It
> won't check
> > the memory or look for any of my IDE devices. I have cleared
> the CMOS.
> > I can't get in to setup or anything. I tried booting without
> any IDE
> > devices connected just so I could get in to the BIOS, but I
> have not
> > had any luck. Perhaps I need a new CMOS?
> >
> > I tried a couple things last night. First, I tried one RAM
> module at a
> > time and then also tried each one on each of the three
> slots.
> >
> > I also removed the CMOS and then replaced it and tried
> removing the
> > USB mouse so that no USB devices would be present.
> >
> > It keeps hanging right after the processor registers on the
> initial
> > boot screen.
> >
> > I have checked all my connections with the exception of the
> CPU. But
> > if the CPU was not properly connected, wouldn't it not
> register on the
> > initial boot screen?
> >
> > I am at a loss as everything seems to be working properly -
> hard drive
> > light flickers at boot and then turns off, all fans are
> working great,
> > all lights are lighting properly, no abnormal sounds,
> keyboard works
> > great - it just won't get to the quick memory check and
> beyond.
> >
> So what does the D-bracket (diagnostic LED's) say?

I have never hooked up the D-Bracket. After reading several similar
topics, I think I will go ahead and install that. My plan is to take
the computer apart completely and then do a barebones setup and
attempt to get it to post from that. I will install the D-Bracket
then.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K7N2-Delta-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296438
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2005 7:32:33 AM

Try motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, keyboard and mouse hooked to power
supply, sitting on a table or workbench without the case and see if it will
POST like that. If it works, then rebuild the machine one step at a time.
Do you have a spare power supply you could test with?
Robert
> "" wrote:
> > "jt643" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a K7N2 Delta-L that has been awesome for about 3
> > years. My hard
> > > drive crashed, and upon installing a new one, I can not boot
> > up. My
> > > boot screen freezes after the processor is recognized. It
> > won't check
> > > the memory or look for any of my IDE devices. I have cleared
> > the CMOS.
> > > I can't get in to setup or anything. I tried booting without
> > any IDE
> > > devices connected just so I could get in to the BIOS, but I
> > have not
> > > had any luck. Perhaps I need a new CMOS?
> > >
> > > I tried a couple things last night. First, I tried one RAM
> > module at a
> > > time and then also tried each one on each of the three
> > slots.
> > >
> > > I also removed the CMOS and then replaced it and tried
> > removing the
> > > USB mouse so that no USB devices would be present.
> > >
> > > It keeps hanging right after the processor registers on the
> > initial
> > > boot screen.
> > >
> > > I have checked all my connections with the exception of the
> > CPU. But
> > > if the CPU was not properly connected, wouldn't it not
> > register on the
> > > initial boot screen?
> > >
> > > I am at a loss as everything seems to be working properly -
> > hard drive
> > > light flickers at boot and then turns off, all fans are
> > working great,
> > > all lights are lighting properly, no abnormal sounds,
> > keyboard works
> > > great - it just won't get to the quick memory check and
> > beyond.
> > >
> > So what does the D-bracket (diagnostic LED's) say?
>
> I have never hooked up the D-Bracket. After reading several similar
> topics, I think I will go ahead and install that. My plan is to take
> the computer apart completely and then do a barebones setup and
> attempt to get it to post from that. I will install the D-Bracket
> then.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K7N2-Delta-...
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296438
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2005 6:37:16 PM

"" wrote:
> Try motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, keyboard and mouse
> hooked to power
> supply, sitting on a table or workbench without the case and
> see if it will
> POST like that. If it works, then rebuild the machine one
> step at a time.
> Do you have a spare power supply you could test with?
> Robert
> "jt643" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > "jt643" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> > > years. My hard
> boot
> > > up. My
> It
> > > won't check
> cleared
> > > the CMOS.
> without
> > > any IDE
> but I
> > > have not

> RAM
> > > module at a
> > > slots.

> > > removing the

> the
> > > initial

> the
> > > CPU. But
> > > register on the

> properly -
> > > hard drive
> > > working great,
> > > keyboard works
> > > beyond.
> > > >
> > > So what does the D-bracket (diagnostic LED's) say?
> >
> > I have never hooked up the D-Bracket. After reading several
> similar
> > topics, I think I will go ahead and install that. My plan is
> to take
> > the computer apart completely and then do a barebones setup
> and
> > attempt to get it to post from that. I will install the
> D-Bracket
> > then.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K7N2-Delta-...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296438

Eureka!

I took the computer apart, re-set the CPU with new thermal grease, and
did a barebones boot, and IT POSTED!

The issue was with the CPU. So, when the posting stopped at Processor,
that was the issue.

Thanks again to everyone!
!