Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
with how 98 will react to the memory installed.

Thanks,
Rick

Exactly what question are you asking?

If you install the old drive correctly, it will work just fine.

Modem Ani

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:35:40 -0600, Rick <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
>computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
>problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
>with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>
>Thanks,
>Rick

You can't just add the old Win98 hard drive then expect to be able to
boot to it. If you just add it as another hard drive, you will be
able to access it, but to boot from it or to create a dual boot system
will take a lot more work for you.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

NobodyMan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:35:40 -0600, Rick <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
>>computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
>>problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
>>with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rick
>

> You can't just add the old Win98 hard drive then expect to be able to
> boot to it. If you just add it as another hard drive, you will be
> able to access it, but to boot from it or to create a dual boot system
> will take a lot more work for you.

Actually Partition Magic will allow me to dual boot.
Rick

"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
> computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
> problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
> with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
is Windws 98 getting into this?

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
>>computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
>>problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
>>with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rick
>

> Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
> or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
> is Windws 98 getting into this?

Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the
drive will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the
2 GB of memory.

Rick

Win98 may have a problem with more than 512 MB of RAM.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

I vaguely recall reading that the registry-based fix given in the knowledge
base article above works.

> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
>>>computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
>>>problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
>>>with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Rick
>>

>> Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>> or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>> is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>

> Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
> drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
> current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
> will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
> memory.
>
> Rick

If you already have XP on one HD and are booting with that adding a 2nd HD
with 98 that was bootable in a previous system will NOT give you a dual
boot......unless you use a BootManager or are aiming to change IDE cables
everytime you start up.
Which way are you aiming to GO??
peterk

>> Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>> or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>> is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>

> Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
> drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
> current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
> will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
> memory.
>
> Rick

> Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
> drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
> current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
> will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
> memory.
>
> Rick

Another link referencing win 98 memory:
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#64mb

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Bob Knowlden wrote:
> Win98 may have a problem with more than 512 MB of RAM.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912
>
> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
>
> I vaguely recall reading that the registry-based fix given in the knowledge
> base article above works.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>>
>>>"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>>>or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>>>is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>>

>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
>>drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
>>current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
>>will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
>>memory.
>>
>>Rick

That is why I posted the question.

Rick

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

peterk wrote:
> If you already have XP on one HD and are booting with that adding a 2nd HD
> with 98 that was bootable in a previous system will NOT give you a dual
> boot......unless you use a BootManager or are aiming to change IDE cables
> everytime you start up.
> Which way are you aiming to GO??
> peterk
>

>>>Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>>>or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>>>is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>>

>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
>>drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
>>current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
>>will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
>>memory.
>>
>>Rick

I'll use Partition Magic to dual boot.

Rick

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Bob Knowlden wrote:
> Win98 may have a problem with more than 512 MB of RAM.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912
>
> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
>
> I vaguely recall reading that the registry-based fix given in the knowledge
> base article above works.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>>
>>>"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>>>or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>>>is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>>

>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
>>drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
>>current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
>>will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
>>memory.
>>
>>Rick

Thanks for the link.
Rick

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Wayne Melia wrote:
>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
>>drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
>>current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
>>will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
>>memory.
>>
>>Rick
>

> Another link referencing win 98 memory:
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#64mb

Thanks

You can use MSCONFIG to limit the amount of memory for 98, use the advanced tab and there is a check
box to limit memory the 98 sees.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23eKG$02KFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Wayne Melia wrote:
>>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot drive on a previous
>>>system and I will dual boot after it is added. My current computer has 2 GB of memory and the
>>>question is if I add the drive will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the
>>>2 GB of memory.
>>>
>>>Rick
>>

>> Another link referencing win 98 memory: http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#64mb
> Thanks

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

If I understood correctly,

(1) Adding a HD should not affect your memory - this is based on adding a
hardware only,

(2) Dual boot: As someone (sorry, forgot the name) indicated, it is not so
simple, unless you meant by using removable HD for switching primary HD back
and forth,

(3) Win 98 with 2G - I am not sure about if Win 98 likes it or not since
I've not used it for a while. But I could almost certain that it won't take
full advantages of your 2GB memory.

If your overall hardware configuration is more latest, you might wish to
invest a bit by switching to Win Xp Pro.

Good luck.

"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com>
???????:u4a5jj0KFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I wonder if any of you would know if i added a HD from my previous
>>>computer to my new one (which has 2 gB of memory) am I going to have
>>>problems. I know that you can dual boot XP and 98SE but, I am concerned
>>>with how 98 will react to the memory installed.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Rick
>>

>> Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>> or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>> is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>

> Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
> drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
> current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
> will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
> memory.
>
> Rick

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

xfile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I understood correctly,
>
> (1) Adding a HD should not affect your memory - this is based on adding a
> hardware only,
>
> (2) Dual boot: As someone (sorry, forgot the name) indicated, it is not so
> simple, unless you meant by using removable HD for switching primary HD back
> and forth,
>
> (3) Win 98 with 2G - I am not sure about if Win 98 likes it or not since
> I've not used it for a while. But I could almost certain that it won't take
> full advantages of your 2GB memory.
>
> If your overall hardware configuration is more latest, you might wish to
> invest a bit by switching to Win Xp Pro.
>
> Good luck.
>
> "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com>
> ???????:u4a5jj0KFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>>
>>>"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Your post is a little confusing. Are you just adding a hard disk,
>>>or do you wish to multi-boot? Are you adding memory? How
>>>is Windws 98 getting into this?
>>>

>>Sorry I was doing two things at once. I am adding a HD that was my boot
>>drive on a previous system and I will dual boot after it is added. My
>>current computer has 2 GB of memory and the question is if I add the drive
>>will there be a problem with the memory i.e. will 98 not like the 2 GB of
>>memory.
>>
>>Rick

I know 98 will not recognize all the memory. That is not the issue.
What I am concerned about is if 98 will have other problems because of
the memory.

Rick