Removable USB Drive

March 17, 2005 5:55:02 PM

I use an Attache 256 Meg memory stick to transport data between desktop and
laptop both running XP pro. The stick is recognized in both computers , but
does not appear in "My Documents" under "Folders" "My Computer" in either one.

The only way I have found to access the files on the stick is to open "My
Computer" directly, where the stick appears as Drive G (which I assigned in
vain after Drive H exhibited the same symptoms).

Any ideas? Thank you

More about : removable usb drive

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:29:30 AM

The drive is just like having another hard drive in the system. It is not meant to be shown in My
Documents (if I understand what your saying). The way you stated you accessed the drive is the way
it is meant to be done, Open or Explore My Computer to access file on the drive.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use an Attache 256 Meg memory stick to transport data between desktop and
> laptop both running XP pro. The stick is recognized in both computers , but
> does not appear in "My Documents" under "Folders" "My Computer" in either one.
>
> The only way I have found to access the files on the stick is to open "My
> Computer" directly, where the stick appears as Drive G (which I assigned in
> vain after Drive H exhibited the same symptoms).
>
> Any ideas? Thank you
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:43:07 PM

Thanks for your comment. Being a slow convert from 98, I like to see the
directory tree, which I do by clicking on "folders" in "My Documents". There
I see (under "My Computer") all drives, directories and folders...just like
the old days. Trouble is, the thumb drive does not show up, just A (floppy
drive), C, D (CD-ROM), E (DVD) and F (any camera card slot in the
printer/scanner).

Strangely, the G (memory stick) drive does appear in "My Computer" from the
Start Menu, but not in "My Computer" in the floders option of "My Documents".

"David Vair" wrote:

> The drive is just like having another hard drive in the system. It is not meant to be shown in My
> Documents (if I understand what your saying). The way you stated you accessed the drive is the way
> it is meant to be done, Open or Explore My Computer to access file on the drive.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use an Attache 256 Meg memory stick to transport data between desktop and
> > laptop both running XP pro. The stick is recognized in both computers , but
> > does not appear in "My Documents" under "Folders" "My Computer" in either one.
> >
> > The only way I have found to access the files on the stick is to open "My
> > Computer" directly, where the stick appears as Drive G (which I assigned in
> > vain after Drive H exhibited the same symptoms).
> >
> > Any ideas? Thank you

March 19, 2005 1:22:09 AM

When I plug my thumb drive in if I right click My documents and hit explore I se it listed in line
after my CD drives (letter order). Same when I open MY Docs and press the folder button. So not
sure why yours is not listed.
--

> Thanks for your comment. Being a slow convert from 98, I like to see the
> directory tree, which I do by clicking on "folders" in "My Documents". There
> I see (under "My Computer") all drives, directories and folders...just like
> the old days. Trouble is, the thumb drive does not show up, just A (floppy
> drive), C, D (CD-ROM), E (DVD) and F (any camera card slot in the
> printer/scanner).
>
> Strangely, the G (memory stick) drive does appear in "My Computer" from the
> Start Menu, but not in "My Computer" in the floders option of "My Documents".
>
> "David Vair" wrote:
>
>> The drive is just like having another hard drive in the system. It is not meant to be shown in
>> My
>> Documents (if I understand what your saying). The way you stated you accessed the drive is the
>> way
>> it is meant to be done, Open or Explore My Computer to access file on the drive.
>> --
>> Dave Vair
>> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
>> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>>
>> "Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use an Attache 256 Meg memory stick to transport data between desktop and
>> > laptop both running XP pro. The stick is recognized in both computers , but
>> > does not appear in "My Documents" under "Folders" "My Computer" in either one.
>> >
>> > The only way I have found to access the files on the stick is to open "My
>> > Computer" directly, where the stick appears as Drive G (which I assigned in
>> > vain after Drive H exhibited the same symptoms).
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Thank you

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:15:06 AM

Maybe someone used TweakUI?? There you can hide drive letters...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> When I plug my thumb drive in if I right click My documents and hit
explore I se it listed in line
> after my CD drives (letter order). Same when I open MY Docs and press the
folder button. So not
> sure why yours is not listed.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your comment. Being a slow convert from 98, I like to see
the
> > directory tree, which I do by clicking on "folders" in "My Documents".
There
> > I see (under "My Computer") all drives, directories and folders...just
like
> > the old days. Trouble is, the thumb drive does not show up, just A
(floppy
> > drive), C, D (CD-ROM), E (DVD) and F (any camera card slot in the
> > printer/scanner).
> >
> > Strangely, the G (memory stick) drive does appear in "My Computer" from
the
> > Start Menu, but not in "My Computer" in the floders option of "My
Documents".

> > "David Vair" wrote:
> >
> >> The drive is just like having another hard drive in the system. It is
not meant to be shown in
> >> My
> >> Documents (if I understand what your saying). The way you stated you
accessed the drive is the
> >> way
> >> it is meant to be done, Open or Explore My Computer to access file on
the drive.
> >> --
> >> Dave Vair
> >> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> >> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
> >>
> >> "Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:24:34 AM

"Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC2B5A8-CB20-401E-A838-A7F1B370BE3C@microsoft.com...
> Strangely, the G (memory stick) drive does appear in "My Computer" from the
> Start Menu, but not in "My Computer" in the floders option of "My Documents".

Yes this seems to be a little bug in the XP explorer.
It occurs to me sometimes when I swap flash drives too often (XP SP1 with numerous patches).
I also thought that TweakUI is the culprit but it doesn't seem so.
If you know the drive letter of the "invisible drive", open it by typing
"X:" in start/run, then expand folders. This should make it visible in tree view.

--PA
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:23:05 AM

Thanks, I feel a bit better knowing that someone else has the problem and
that it's not just me. I have a "work-around" already (it shows up in "My
Computer") but it's nice to have another as well. Thanks.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "Catenary" <Catenary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC2B5A8-CB20-401E-A838-A7F1B370BE3C@microsoft.com...
> > Strangely, the G (memory stick) drive does appear in "My Computer" from the
> > Start Menu, but not in "My Computer" in the floders option of "My Documents".
> >

> Yes this seems to be a little bug in the XP explorer.
> It occurs to me sometimes when I swap flash drives too often (XP SP1 with numerous patches).
> I also thought that TweakUI is the culprit but it doesn't seem so.
> If you know the drive letter of the "invisible drive", open it by typing
> "X:" in start/run, then expand folders. This should make it visible in tree view.
>
> --PA

January 30, 2011 10:24:48 AM

Dear Sir, thanks a lot for the great information you've share about usb not shown in my computer.. Yes your right! the real culprit is the Tweak UI in the control panel...thanks alot
Renie
Philippines
!