Speeding Up Boot Up (Brand New Computer)

I have a brand new computer (Acer T120, Windows XP) for a Arcade Cabinet.

I have not installed anything on the computer, just dragged and dropped
Mame, VGBA, PCE and Other Emulators and Roms.

The bootup is pretty fast but I was wondering if it could be faster still?
Is the bootup doing / loading things which I don't need in a Machine that is
going to sit in a Arcade Cabinet?

The only change I have made is changed in the BIOS, the 1st Boot Media to be
Hard Drive rather than Floppy Disk.

Regards to All.

Hitesh
5 answers Last reply
More about speeding boot brand computer

    Hitesh wrote:
    > I have a brand new computer (Acer T120, Windows XP) for a Arcade Cabinet.
    >
    > I have not installed anything on the computer, just dragged and dropped
    > Mame, VGBA, PCE and Other Emulators and Roms.
    >
    > The bootup is pretty fast but I was wondering if it could be faster still?
    > Is the bootup doing / loading things which I don't need in a Machine that is
    > going to sit in a Arcade Cabinet?
    >
    > The only change I have made is changed in the BIOS, the 1st Boot Media to be
    > Hard Drive rather than Floppy Disk.
    >
    > Regards to All.
    >
    > Hitesh

    One of these ( http://tinyurl.com/6dafr http://tinyurl.com/3dxt5
    http://tinyurl.com/66xp2 ) Should do the trick, depending on how deep
    your pockets are. <GBG>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:52:57 GMT, Dead_Dad
    <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >One of these ( http://tinyurl.com/6dafr http://tinyurl.com/3dxt5
    >http://tinyurl.com/66xp2 ) Should do the trick, depending on how deep
    >your pockets are. <GBG>

    It'll be really nice when these SSD's are the standard. Disk
    technology has long been the butt of many jokes as every other
    surrounding component has seen significant strides in performance.
    Price point is probably the only thing keeping this stuff out of the
    hands of consumers.

    Good links, Dad!

    -In2ishun

    Hitesh wrote on 20. March 2005:

    > I have a brand new computer (Acer T120, Windows XP) for a Arcade Cabinet.
    >
    > I have not installed anything on the computer, just dragged and dropped
    > Mame, VGBA, PCE and Other Emulators and Roms.
    >
    > The bootup is pretty fast but I was wondering if it could be faster still?
    > Is the bootup doing / loading things which I don't need in a Machine that is
    > going to sit in a Arcade Cabinet?

    I once set up xmame in SVGA for Linux, no services loaded, not even
    X. Took 14 seconds to launch my favorite game.

    > The only change I have made is changed in the BIOS, the 1st Boot Media to be
    > Hard Drive rather than Floppy Disk.

    Does it take long to do the BIOS procedures?
    --
    By(e) Andreas

    Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled
    meyhem news:tZ9%d.731578$Xk.128293@pd7tw3no:

    > Hitesh wrote:
    >> I have a brand new computer (Acer T120, Windows XP) for a Arcade
    >> Cabinet.
    >>
    >> I have not installed anything on the computer, just dragged and
    >> dropped Mame, VGBA, PCE and Other Emulators and Roms.
    >>
    >> The bootup is pretty fast but I was wondering if it could be faster
    >> still? Is the bootup doing / loading things which I don't need in a
    >> Machine that is going to sit in a Arcade Cabinet?
    >>
    >> The only change I have made is changed in the BIOS, the 1st Boot
    >> Media to be Hard Drive rather than Floppy Disk.
    >>
    >> Regards to All.
    >>
    >> Hitesh
    >
    > One of these ( http://tinyurl.com/6dafr http://tinyurl.com/3dxt5
    > http://tinyurl.com/66xp2 ) Should do the trick, depending on how deep
    > your pockets are. <GBG>

    Slight overkill that! (but nice all the same)

    "Hitesh" <NoFookingReplyAddress@NoFookingReplyAddress.Com> wrote in
    frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem news:d1j8ho$8qm$1@hercules.btinternet.com:

    > I have a brand new computer (Acer T120, Windows XP) for a Arcade
    > Cabinet.
    >
    > I have not installed anything on the computer, just dragged and
    > dropped Mame, VGBA, PCE and Other Emulators and Roms.
    >
    > The bootup is pretty fast but I was wondering if it could be faster
    > still? Is the bootup doing / loading things which I don't need in a
    > Machine that is going to sit in a Arcade Cabinet?
    >
    > The only change I have made is changed in the BIOS, the 1st Boot Media
    > to be Hard Drive rather than Floppy Disk.
    >
    > Regards to All.
    >
    > Hitesh

    OK, some more info would slim this down some more.. But there are a
    couple of things you can that would speed up windows booting, as well as
    (possibly the bios)

    Remember : the bootup time of the BIOS (the time before it starts to load
    the actual OS) is generally dependant on addin BIOS cards you have (SCSI,
    SATA, Network, that sort of thing)
    But you can speed up bios loading time by checking many websites for this
    sort of thing - (things vary from mobo to mobo)

    To speed up windows loading, that depends on your cab system.. Is it
    networked? if not, remove some of the built in networking services.
    Remove unnesscery programs from starting automagically (thats a no
    brainer)

    If its a static cab, dont load up AV or firewall (or anything other
    programs) on start up....

    Remove unneeded services form laoding if you dont need them (websites
    again discolse on this, & depends highly on the situation your cab is
    used under)

    If the cab is only connected to your local lan, then you dont need as
    high protection than if it was on the interweb at same time.

    occasional defrags work on your disk. Maybe more memory might be a good
    idea, possibly performace onces with definate timings would speed thinggs
    up..

    Perhaps you could look into overclocking?

    All in all, theres quite a lot you could do. the way to do it.. You
    should do the services first (& CHECK everythigns is working fine
    afterwards)

Computers Boot Windows XP Video Games