How far can you run parallel port cables?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

Hello people.

How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a printer,
connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?

Or will there be a problem with delay or something?

[]s
--
© Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
My Evanescence HP is at: | This pain is just too real

    "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > Hello people.
    >
    > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a
    printer,
    > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?

    > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?

    Parallel is limited by the cable capacitance. You can find printer
    cables up to 25 feet or 7.6M. Serial can be run for very long distances
    depending on the bit rate. For 9600 bps, it should work for 150 feet or
    45m.

    Ask this in the more appropriate newsgroups
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc or similar.

    > []s
    > --
    > © Chaos Master.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    exerpt from http://www.duxcw.com/faq/print/print.htm:

    Q. What is the "specified" maximum length of a parallel printer cable for a
    PC?

    A. There are two kinds widely used parallel port printer cables for PCs.
    The old "standard" IBM Printer cable and the newer IEEE 1284 bi-directional
    cable commonly sold today. The old IBM printer cable was a rather loose
    standard having its roots with cables originally designed for Centronics
    printers. It was uni-directional from the PC to the printer and had a
    25-pin male DB25 connector at one end and a 36-conductor male Centronics
    connector at the other end. The "standard-issue" cable was six feet. The
    maximum cable length was commonly stated as 15 feet. I have operated
    printers with old 20-foot IBM PC cables and some, not many, PC/printer
    combinations will work with a quality 25-foot cable. There are devices
    which can extend this length significantly.

    Commonly available IEEE 1284 cables have a 1284 Type A, 25-pin male DB25
    connector at one end and either the older 1284 Type B, 36-conducor male
    Centronics connector or the newer 1284 Type C, 36-conductor Mini-Centronics
    connector at the other end and are available in 6, 10, 15, 20, and 30 ft
    lenghts. The specification also calls for various cable configurations with
    different connector genders. The maximum specified length of a IEEE 1284
    cable cable is 10 Meters (approx. 30 feet) for data transfers at rates up
    to 2 Mhz (of course, this maximum requires that the ports at both ends of
    the cable meet the IEEE 1284 spec as well as the cable). IEEE 1284 cables
    should work with older IBM printer ports (SPP = Standard Printer Port) and
    uni-directional printers.

    hope this helps
    regards
    Jeff

    "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> schreef in bericht
    > Hello people.
    >
    > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a printer,
    > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    >
    > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    >
    > []s
    > --
    > © Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
    > My Evanescence HP is at: | This pain is just too real
    > http://marreka.no-ip.com | There's just too much that time can't erase"
    > (most often offline... ) | -- Evanescence, "My Immortal"
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > Hello people.
    >
    > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a printer,
    > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    >
    > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    >
    > []s
    Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For anything
    more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable, however.

    Ken
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > > Hello people.
    > >
    > > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a
    printer,
    > > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    > >
    > > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    > >
    > > []s
    > Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For
    anything
    > more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable,
    however.

    > Ken

    You only guessed didn't you.
    The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.
    After that they may work but don't expect much support.
    --
    John G

    Wot's Your Real Problem?
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:42:08 +1200, "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >"Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    >> Hello people.
    >>
    >> How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a printer,
    >> connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    >>
    >> Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    >>
    >> []s
    >Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For anything
    >more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable, however.
    >
    >Ken

    Much over 10 feet with parallel and you'll have problems. I once
    tried to run my old HPIII at about 14 feet with a high quality cable
    and the printer was erratic. I had the cable shortened and moved the
    printer and it was OK.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    "John G" <Greentest@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > > > Hello people.
    > > >
    > > > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a
    > printer,
    > > > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    > > >
    > > > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    > > >
    > > > []s
    > > Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For
    > anything
    > > more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable,
    > however.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > You only guessed didn't you.
    > The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.

    No, it is not. For serial, see URL
    http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_specs.html

    For parallel IEEE1284:

    Specifications
    IEEE1284 Support
    Maximum Cable Distance: 5 meters (or 16.5 feet)
    Maximum Data Transfer Rate: 2MBytes / sec.
    ... etc.

    > After that they may work but don't expect much support.
    > --
    > John G
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    "John G" <Greentest@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:<H54Hc.40$y87.1986@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au>...
    > "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > > > Hello people.
    > > >
    > > > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a
    > printer,
    > > > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    > > >
    > > > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    > > > []s
    > > Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For
    > anything
    > > more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable,
    > however. Ken
    > >
    > You only guessed didn't you.
    > The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.
    > After that they may work but don't expect much support.

    I ran 20-foot priter cables without any problems. They're cheap. just
    a fewe dollar more than the standard 6-foot ones, just give them a
    try.
    Otherwise, there are sets of connectors for paralle ports that allow
    you to run normal phone cable between PCs and printers over much
    longer distances, $30 or so for a kit. Ultimately, get something like
    JetDirect and use ethernet, but rather more expensive unless it's
    already built in to the printer.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    Generally 15ft but I have seen some up to 25FT. with a parallel port buffer
    you can go further.
    Dan
    "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > Hello people.
    >
    > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a printer,
    > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    >
    > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    >
    > []s
    > --
    > © Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
    > My Evanescence HP is at: | This pain is just too real
    > http://marreka.no-ip.com | There's just too much that time can't erase"
    > (most often offline... ) | -- Evanescence, "My Immortal"
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    "John G" <Greentest@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message
    > > > Hello people.
    > > >
    > > > How far can you run serial or parallel cables? E.g. can I have a
    > printer,
    > > > connected with a 5m parallel cable to a PC?
    > > >
    > > > Or will there be a problem with delay or something?
    > > >
    > > > []s
    > > Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For
    > anything
    > > more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable,
    > however.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > You only guessed didn't you.
    > The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.
    > After that they may work but don't expect much support.
    > --
    > John G
    >
    > Wot's Your Real Problem?

    On the basis that I've run, and seen it done by others, to 5 metres without
    trouble. So yes, I didn't look it up, but it'll work, although maybe, as you
    imply, by the grace of God.

    Ken
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 04:57:29 -0700, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark
    Remover\"" <NOSPAM@dslextreme.com> found these unused words floating about:

    >"John G" <Greentest@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ken Taylor" <ken123@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> > "Chaos Master" <linux_root@brasnet.org> wrote in message

    >> printer,

    >> > Five metres is not a problem for either serial or parallel. For
    >> anything
    >> > more than that I'd be looking to good quality, shielded cable,
    >> however.
    >> >
    >> > Ken
    >> >
    >> You only guessed didn't you.
    >> The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.
    >
    >No, it is not. For serial, see URL
    >http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_specs.html
    >
    >For parallel IEEE1284:
    >
    >Specifications
    >IEEE1284 Support
    >Maximum Cable Distance: 5 meters (or 16.5 feet)
    >Maximum Data Transfer Rate: 2MBytes / sec.
    >.. etc.
    >

    >> After that they may work but don't expect much support.
    >> --
    >> John G

    If you buy good cable, not the "el-cheapo" at Worst Buy ... you can go much
    more in a 'real world' enviornment.

    Currently I'm running 35, 25 25 and 15 feet to a switch routing at a central
    printer location, then 6 feet more to the each of the printers (5). the HP,
    one of the fussiest printers, doesn't complain!
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    said:
    > exerpt from http://www.duxcw.com/faq/print/print.htm:
    >
    > Q. What is the "specified" maximum length of a parallel printer cable for a
    > PC?

    [snip]

    Thanks for the info.

    []s
    --
    © Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
    Posting from Brazil. | This pain is just too real
    http://marreka.no-ip.com | There's just too much that time can't erase"
    (most often offline... ) | -- Evanescence, "My Immortal"
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

    John G said:

    > You only guessed didn't you.
    > The Specs for parallel say 2 metres and for RS 232 50 metres.
    > After that they may work but don't expect much support.

    OK. Thanks to all those that helped.

    --
    © Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
    Posting from Brazil. | This pain is just too real
    http://marreka.no-ip.com | There's just too much that time can't erase"
    (most often offline... ) | -- Evanescence, "My Immortal"

Printers Parallel Port Cable Peripherals