Trouble formating external harddrive

Recently purchased a Lacie 160gb Fire wire External Harddrive. I am having
trouble formating the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.

I do the usually Disk Management process, which takes forever and then when
its almost done I get this message

Logical Disk Manager service process has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\dmadmin.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\appcompat.txt

szAppName : dmadmin.exe szAppVer : 2600.2180.503.0

szModName : ifsutil.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.0 offset : 00004560

its driving me nuts my Firewire card is by Q-STOR and is brand new....
11 answers Last reply
More about trouble formating external harddrive

    I had similar problems but I went back to the MFR's website and there
    were small app downloads that helped.

    Try it!

    MIke

    I had similar problems but I went back to the MFR's website and there
    were small app downloads that helped.

    Try it!

    MIke

    i went back to the site all they have for XP was a update drive didnt work ...

    "Frank" <Frank @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Recently purchased a Lacie 160gb Fire wire External Harddrive. I am having
    >trouble formating the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.
    >
    >I do the usually Disk Management process, which takes forever and then when
    >its almost done I get this message

    Try formatting the drive with the DOS command FORMAT.

    --
    (tm)

    ok how do you format in does?

    Rc thanks for the lesson, but I did a typo on DOS, I apolize.

    My computer is Dell deminsion 4500 with XP Pro as my OS. I have my updates
    set to automatic and looking through my add and delate program, service pack
    2 was installed. The reason why I was changing it from FAT 32 to NTFS. The
    drive is going to be used only for MP3 and photos files. I was having a
    problem when I would play my music on the external hard drive and it would
    make my system crash and I would have to restart. Lacie sent me out a new
    drive, in case it was the drives problem and told me the default formart was
    Fat 32 and to format it to NTFS.

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >ok how do you format in does?

    Type CMD at Start > Run to open a DOS console.

    --
    (tm)

    Try deleting the partition. Then start all over as though it is a new
    installation. I was having the same trouble with a Maxtor One-touch on a usb
    port. The reformate only removed FAT 32, leaving an unformated and
    apparently unformatable drive. After deleting the partition it set up ok.
    (Now, lets hope I don't have one of the other problems people seem to be
    having....)

    Frank Wrote:
    > Recently purchased a Lacie 160gb Fire wire External Harddrive. I am
    > having
    > trouble formating the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.
    >
    > I do the usually Disk Management process, which takes forever and then
    > when
    > its almost done I get this message
    >
    > Logical Disk Manager service process has encountered a problem and
    > needs to
    > close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\dmadmin.exe.mdmp
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >

    > szAppName : dmadmin.exe szAppVer : 2600.2180.503.0
    >
    > szModName : ifsutil.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.0 offset :
    > 00004560
    >
    > its driving me nuts my Firewire card is by Q-STOR and is brand new....

    Dear Frank,
    After my update to SP2 my Maxtor f.wire drive quit working also.
    Drive managment, disk manager would hang, then I would get this error:

    "Drive is unreadable, 0 bytes, 0 data, this device is working
    properly."

    My DV camera (ilinf aka firewire device) quit being recognised also.
    Try connecting another known good working f.wire device, and if it
    doesn't work PM me. ;)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Frank Wrote:
    > Recently purchased a Lacie 160gb Fire wire External Harddrive. I am
    > having
    > trouble formating the drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.
    >
    > I do the usually Disk Management process, which takes forever and then
    > when
    > its almost done I get this message
    >
    > Logical Disk Manager service process has encountered a problem and
    > needs to
    > close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\dmadmin.exe.mdmp
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72f6.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >

    > szAppName : dmadmin.exe szAppVer : 2600.2180.503.0
    >
    > szModName : ifsutil.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.0 offset :
    > 00004560
    >
    > its driving me nuts my Firewire card is by Q-STOR and is brand new....

    Dear Frank,
    After my update to SP2 my Maxtor f.wire drive quit working also.
    Drive managment, disk manager would hang, then I would get this error:

    "Drive is unreadable, 0 bytes, 0 data, this device is working
    properly."

    My DV camera (ilink aka firewire device) quit being recognised also.
    Try connecting another known good working f.wire device, and if it
    doesn't work PM me. ;)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hugh/VE7EQV
    I have done every known possible to try to reformat the drive...delating
    partions and such still no dice same error

External Hard Drive Windows XP