CDr and DVD R not found

Hi

I am running XP SP2
I got up this morning and turned on my PC, put a CD into the drive and
nothing happened.
I went to explorer and there was no CD or DVD drive shown. These drives have
been on my system for a couple of years.

I went to Device Manager and the two drives have a yellow exclamation mark
beside them,
when I go to properties there is a message.

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
this hardware but cannot find the device (code 41)"

I uninstalled the drives and rebooted, but still have the same problem with
the
same messages in Device Manager.
I am guessing that because the drives appeared in Device Manager after
being installed they must be connected properly.

Any advice on fixing this would be appreciated.

Daniel
3 answers Last reply
More about found

    Thanks for your response, I have followed the advice
    and all is fine now.

    thanks again

    Daniel
    > CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
    > Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
    >
    > To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    >
    > 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    > [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]
    >
    > 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >
    > 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    >
    > 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >
    > 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    >
    > 6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and
    > the Lowerfilters value,
    > if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD
    > recording software, you may need
    > to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the
    > software vendor for assistance.
    >
    > 7. Restart your computer.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Daniel" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I am running XP SP2
    > | I got up this morning and turned on my PC, put a CD into the drive and
    > | nothing happened.
    > | I went to explorer and there was no CD or DVD drive shown. These drives
    > have
    > | been on my system for a couple of years.
    > |
    > | I went to Device Manager and the two drives have a yellow exclamation
    > mark
    > | beside them,
    > | when I go to properties there is a message.
    > |
    > | "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
    > | this hardware but cannot find the device (code 41)"
    > |
    > | I uninstalled the drives and rebooted, but still have the same problem
    > with
    > | the
    > | same messages in Device Manager.
    > | I am guessing that because the drives appeared in Device Manager after
    > | being installed they must be connected properly.
    > |
    > | Any advice on fixing this would be appreciated.
    > |
    > | Daniel

    Daniel,

    I had the same problem and found the same fix. However, although the system
    recognizes my CD drives, it does not recognize the write capability. Have
    you had a similar experience?

    "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your response, I have followed the advice
    > and all is fine now.
    >
    > thanks again
    >
    > Daniel
    >> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
    >> Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
    >>
    >> To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    >> [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]
    >>
    >> 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >>
    >> 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    >>
    >> 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >>
    >> 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    >>
    >> 6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and
    >> the Lowerfilters value,
    >> if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD
    >> recording software, you may need
    >> to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the
    >> software vendor for assistance.
    >>
    >> 7. Restart your computer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Daniel" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi
    >> |
    >> | I am running XP SP2
    >> | I got up this morning and turned on my PC, put a CD into the drive and
    >> | nothing happened.
    >> | I went to explorer and there was no CD or DVD drive shown. These drives
    >> have
    >> | been on my system for a couple of years.
    >> |
    >> | I went to Device Manager and the two drives have a yellow exclamation
    >> mark
    >> | beside them,
    >> | when I go to properties there is a message.
    >> |
    >> | "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
    >> | this hardware but cannot find the device (code 41)"
    >> |
    >> | I uninstalled the drives and rebooted, but still have the same problem
    >> with
    >> | the
    >> | same messages in Device Manager.
    >> | I am guessing that because the drives appeared in Device Manager after
    >> | being installed they must be connected properly.
    >> |
    >> | Any advice on fixing this would be appreciated.
    >> |
    >> | Daniel

    Yes I have, not this time but in the past,
    I went this KB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529
    and it worked.

    Good luck