cannot change IRQ

I need to change an IRQ on a device, but the "Change Settings" button on the
Resources tab through Device Manager is Grayed out. How can I regain
control of the resources?

Deeper problem is a firewire card that will not work with my Camera unless
it is on a specific IRQ.

This is a DELL GX280 (3 months old) with Dell's 1394 card, and a sony
camcorder plugged in (the camera works fine on another system, and it works
fine on this one when it is sitting on a particular interupt).

TIA
FIF

IMHO you need to work with Dell support on this issue.
Changing IRQ is possible, but this option is deliberately hidden from end user,
because 99% of properly designed devices these days work well
with auto configuration.
--PA

"FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ui1WRiBLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I need to change an IRQ on a device, but the "Change Settings" button on the
> Resources tab through Device Manager is Grayed out. How can I regain
> control of the resources?
>
> Deeper problem is a firewire card that will not work with my Camera unless
> it is on a specific IRQ.
>
> This is a DELL GX280 (3 months old) with Dell's 1394 card, and a sony
> camcorder plugged in (the camera works fine on another system, and it works
> fine on this one when it is sitting on a particular interupt).
>
> TIA
> FIF

In general XP does not allow the user to change IRQs, since in theory it
handles them automatically.

Some motherboards provide for BIOS-level IRQ changes. My ASUS certainly
does.

However, before playing with the BIOS setup, you should contact the PC maker
for suggestions on what to do, AND for info on things to NOT do.

If you are lucky there may be a patch to the firewire drvers, or similar
which will permit the operation you desire, without adjusting IRQs.

"FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to change an IRQ on a device, but the "Change Settings" button on
>the Resources tab through Device Manager is Grayed out. How can I regain
>control of the resources?
>
> Deeper problem is a firewire card that will not work with my Camera unless
> it is on a specific IRQ.
>
> This is a DELL GX280 (3 months old) with Dell's 1394 card, and a sony
> camcorder plugged in (the camera works fine on another system, and it
> works fine on this one when it is sitting on a particular interupt).
>
> TIA
> FIF

We did contact Dell, their suggestion was to move the card from one PCI slot
to another (which changed the IRQ) and the card worked fine until the next
reboot, and the IRQ had been shuffled again and the Firewire once again had
problems. Figure if I can force the IRQ that it does work with, may solve
the problem.

TIA
FIF

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In general XP does not allow the user to change IRQs, since in theory it
> handles them automatically.
>
> Some motherboards provide for BIOS-level IRQ changes. My ASUS certainly
> does.
>
> However, before playing with the BIOS setup, you should contact the PC
> maker for suggestions on what to do, AND for info on things to NOT do.
>
> If you are lucky there may be a patch to the firewire drvers, or similar
> which will permit the operation you desire, without adjusting IRQs.
>
> "FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to change an IRQ on a device, but the "Change Settings" button on
>>the Resources tab through Device Manager is Grayed out. How can I regain
>>control of the resources?
>>
>> Deeper problem is a firewire card that will not work with my Camera
>> unless it is on a specific IRQ.
>>
>> This is a DELL GX280 (3 months old) with Dell's 1394 card, and a sony
>> camcorder plugged in (the camera works fine on another system, and it
>> works fine on this one when it is sitting on a particular interupt).
>>
>> TIA
>> FIF

TRENDING THREADS