MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - hanging

This is my first build and i’m having a few problems. Every session at
least once the system hangs and needs to be rebooted (no response from
mouse or keyboard). I also keep losing internet connectivity even
though my second PC hasn’t a problem. (I sometimes have to unplug/plug
the modem)I’ve left the bios at default values and have had "cool n
quiet" both enabled and disabled but the same problems. The system
runs great apart from these setbacks, can someone with more experience
point me in the right direction? My specs ar below

Hardware

Board: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum SKT 939 Nforce3 SATA GIGBIT LAN
7.1CH
Processor: AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache

Memory: 2 x CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF Memory
Module 128MX64 (slots 1&3 - green)**

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB AGP8x DDR 64-bit DVI-I
TV-Out

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm
8mb Cache (unpartitioned)

Drives: 2 x LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer R/RW/RAM Internal IDE
Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Drive

Power: 500W Ebuyer PSU

Connections: IDE config (no sata) with 2 High Quality Rounded IDECable
ATA133 60cm and floppy cable, 2 x front USB to 1 board USB header,
Card reader to 1 USB header 1 x Front Firewire to IEEE 1394 board
header

Cooling: Processor cooling set, 1 120mm Blue Led Fan (intake), 1 rear
fan (exhaust), 1 side panel fan (adjacant to memory modules)

Peripherals

Monitor: Formac Gallery Xtreme 1900 19" TFT 25ms 700:1 (DVI) Monitor
Keyboard: Apple M9034B White Keyboard
Mouse: Newmen Blue Usb Crystal Blue Optical

Software: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Connection: AOL 2MB connection broadband connection, BT Voyeger 105
DSL Modem with up to date drivers(AOL/Win XP connectivity patch
installed)

** memory config for DDR33MHz in order to allow for upgrade to 4
sticks (won’t accept 4 x ddr 400)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K8N-Neo2-Platinum-hanging-ftopict59039.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=299011
7 answers Last reply
More about neo2 platinum hanging

    Double check your ram positions. Are you sure you can go Green / Green?
    Page 2-8 of the manual shows Green / Purple.
    Bill
    "markuk2005" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > This is my first build and i'm having a few problems. Every session at
    > least once the system hangs and needs to be rebooted (no response from
    > mouse or keyboard). I also keep losing internet connectivity even
    > though my second PC hasn't a problem. (I sometimes have to unplug/plug
    > the modem)I've left the bios at default values and have had "cool n
    > quiet" both enabled and disabled but the same problems. The system
    > runs great apart from these setbacks, can someone with more experience
    > point me in the right direction? My specs ar below
    >
    > Hardware
    >
    > Board: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum SKT 939 Nforce3 SATA GIGBIT LAN
    > 7.1CH
    > Processor: AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache
    >
    > Memory: 2 x CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF Memory
    > Module 128MX64 (slots 1&3 - green)**
    >
    > Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB AGP8x DDR 64-bit DVI-I
    > TV-Out
    >
    > Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm
    > 8mb Cache (unpartitioned)
    >
    > Drives: 2 x LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer R/RW/RAM Internal IDE
    > Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Drive
    >
    > Power: 500W Ebuyer PSU
    >
    > Connections: IDE config (no sata) with 2 High Quality Rounded IDECable
    > ATA133 60cm and floppy cable, 2 x front USB to 1 board USB header,
    > Card reader to 1 USB header 1 x Front Firewire to IEEE 1394 board
    > header
    >
    > Cooling: Processor cooling set, 1 120mm Blue Led Fan (intake), 1 rear
    > fan (exhaust), 1 side panel fan (adjacant to memory modules)
    >
    > Peripherals
    >
    > Monitor: Formac Gallery Xtreme 1900 19" TFT 25ms 700:1 (DVI) Monitor
    > Keyboard: Apple M9034B White Keyboard
    > Mouse: Newmen Blue Usb Crystal Blue Optical
    >
    > Software: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
    > Connection: AOL 2MB connection broadband connection, BT Voyeger 105
    > DSL Modem with up to date drivers(AOL/Win XP connectivity patch
    > installed)
    >
    > ** memory config for DDR33MHz in order to allow for upgrade to 4
    > sticks (won't accept 4 x ddr 400)

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K8N-Neo2-Platinum-hanging-ftopict59039.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=299011
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
    during video conversion and playing,
    its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
    but im steered towards hardware
    thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:

    >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
    >during video conversion and playing,
    >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
    >but im steered towards hardware
    >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues

    Could be a problem with "early adoption" of the 65 bit version of XP.
    Still sounds like a memory problem though... have you tried Memtest?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:

    >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
    >during video conversion and playing,
    >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
    >but im steered towards hardware
    >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues

    Random freezes are frequently memory problems.

    To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
    For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
    strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.

    HTH
    Gollum
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:
    >
    > >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
    > >during video conversion and playing,
    > >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
    > >but im steered towards hardware
    > >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues
    > >
    > Random freezes are frequently memory problems.
    >
    > To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
    > For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
    > strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.
    >
    > HTH
    > Gollum

    my memory is in slot one and two, for dual channel
    its geil pc3200
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Your memory belongs in Slots 1 and 2 green and purple just like the manual
    shows.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote in message

    > "Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
    > > >during video conversion and playing,
    > > >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or
    software
    > > >but im steered towards hardware
    > > >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no
    issues

    > > Random freezes are frequently memory problems.
    > >
    > > To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
    > > For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
    > > strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > Gollum
    >
    > my memory is in slot one and two, for dual channel
    > its geil pc3200

    ran memtest86 it reported no problems, hrrm

MSI-Microstar Motherboards