Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - hanging

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 4:36:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

This is my first build and i’m having a few problems. Every session at
least once the system hangs and needs to be rebooted (no response from
mouse or keyboard). I also keep losing internet connectivity even
though my second PC hasn’t a problem. (I sometimes have to unplug/plug
the modem)I’ve left the bios at default values and have had "cool n
quiet" both enabled and disabled but the same problems. The system
runs great apart from these setbacks, can someone with more experience
point me in the right direction? My specs ar below

Hardware

Board: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum SKT 939 Nforce3 SATA GIGBIT LAN
7.1CH
Processor: AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache

Memory: 2 x CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF Memory
Module 128MX64 (slots 1&3 - green)**

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB AGP8x DDR 64-bit DVI-I
TV-Out

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm
8mb Cache (unpartitioned)

Drives: 2 x LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer R/RW/RAM Internal IDE
Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Drive

Power: 500W Ebuyer PSU

Connections: IDE config (no sata) with 2 High Quality Rounded IDECable
ATA133 60cm and floppy cable, 2 x front USB to 1 board USB header,
Card reader to 1 USB header 1 x Front Firewire to IEEE 1394 board
header

Cooling: Processor cooling set, 1 120mm Blue Led Fan (intake), 1 rear
fan (exhaust), 1 side panel fan (adjacant to memory modules)

Peripherals

Monitor: Formac Gallery Xtreme 1900 19" TFT 25ms 700:1 (DVI) Monitor
Keyboard: Apple M9034B White Keyboard
Mouse: Newmen Blue Usb Crystal Blue Optical

Software: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Connection: AOL 2MB connection broadband connection, BT Voyeger 105
DSL Modem with up to date drivers(AOL/Win XP connectivity patch
installed)

** memory config for DDR33MHz in order to allow for upgrade to 4
sticks (won’t accept 4 x ddr 400)

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K8N-Neo2-Pl...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=299011
July 19, 2005 4:36:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

Double check your ram positions. Are you sure you can go Green / Green?
Page 2-8 of the manual shows Green / Purple.
Bill
"markuk2005" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
news:7_299011_29ee93f0a9120fd1bdb0c17539ae673e@hardwareforumz.com...
> This is my first build and i'm having a few problems. Every session at
> least once the system hangs and needs to be rebooted (no response from
> mouse or keyboard). I also keep losing internet connectivity even
> though my second PC hasn't a problem. (I sometimes have to unplug/plug
> the modem)I've left the bios at default values and have had "cool n
> quiet" both enabled and disabled but the same problems. The system
> runs great apart from these setbacks, can someone with more experience
> point me in the right direction? My specs ar below
>
> Hardware
>
> Board: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum SKT 939 Nforce3 SATA GIGBIT LAN
> 7.1CH
> Processor: AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache
>
> Memory: 2 x CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF Memory
> Module 128MX64 (slots 1&3 - green)**
>
> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB AGP8x DDR 64-bit DVI-I
> TV-Out
>
> Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm
> 8mb Cache (unpartitioned)
>
> Drives: 2 x LG GSA4163 16X DVD Dual Layer R/RW/RAM Internal IDE
> Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Drive
>
> Power: 500W Ebuyer PSU
>
> Connections: IDE config (no sata) with 2 High Quality Rounded IDECable
> ATA133 60cm and floppy cable, 2 x front USB to 1 board USB header,
> Card reader to 1 USB header 1 x Front Firewire to IEEE 1394 board
> header
>
> Cooling: Processor cooling set, 1 120mm Blue Led Fan (intake), 1 rear
> fan (exhaust), 1 side panel fan (adjacant to memory modules)
>
> Peripherals
>
> Monitor: Formac Gallery Xtreme 1900 19" TFT 25ms 700:1 (DVI) Monitor
> Keyboard: Apple M9034B White Keyboard
> Mouse: Newmen Blue Usb Crystal Blue Optical
>
> Software: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
> Connection: AOL 2MB connection broadband connection, BT Voyeger 105
> DSL Modem with up to date drivers(AOL/Win XP connectivity patch
> installed)
>
> ** memory config for DDR33MHz in order to allow for upgrade to 4
> sticks (won't accept 4 x ddr 400)
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K8N-Neo2-Pl...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=299011
July 19, 2005 1:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
during video conversion and playing,
its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
but im steered towards hardware
thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 3:50:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:

>im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
>during video conversion and playing,
>its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
>but im steered towards hardware
>thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues

Could be a problem with "early adoption" of the 65 bit version of XP.
Still sounds like a memory problem though... have you tried Memtest?
July 19, 2005 4:48:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:

>im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
>during video conversion and playing,
>its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
>but im steered towards hardware
>thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues
>
Random freezes are frequently memory problems.

To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.

HTH
Gollum
July 19, 2005 8:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

"Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
news:qatpd11o1go9jclvp1h860h0jpou2nt0i2@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:
>
> >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
> >during video conversion and playing,
> >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or software
> >but im steered towards hardware
> >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no issues
> >
> Random freezes are frequently memory problems.
>
> To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
> For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
> strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.
>
> HTH
> Gollum

my memory is in slot one and two, for dual channel
its geil pc3200
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2005 12:52:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

Your memory belongs in Slots 1 and 2 green and purple just like the manual
shows.
July 20, 2005 2:43:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

"mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote in message
news:1121786995.5986.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net...
>
> "Gollum" <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in message
> news:qatpd11o1go9jclvp1h860h0jpou2nt0i2@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:29:30 +0100, "mark" <mark@remove.com> wrote:
> >
> > >im having similar problems too, on windows xp64, random freezes, mainly
> > >during video conversion and playing,
> > >its getting on my nerves, not sure whats causing it, hardware or
software
> > >but im steered towards hardware
> > >thinking of junking hte MSI, always used abit in the past with no
issues
> > >
> > Random freezes are frequently memory problems.
> >
> > To the OP, as Bill pointed out, green & purple are the correct slots.
> > For some reason no one wants to believe the manual, MSI in their
> > strange wisdom have chosen this mixed combination of colors.
> >
> > HTH
> > Gollum
>
> my memory is in slot one and two, for dual channel
> its geil pc3200
>
ran memtest86 it reported no problems, hrrm
!