lost cd rom in device manager

I have lost both my cdr and cdrw that was listed in device manager. They
where working Aopen burner, lg drive, I installed a modem (motorola pci56).
XP pro doesnot recognize it as modem, so I removed it, now i have no cd
capabilities, can't figure it out.need help. Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about lost device manager

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > This applies to XP also...
    > Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191579
    >

    > Restore Missing CD Drive
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
    >
    > [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
    > Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
    > Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
    > patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
    > party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
    > http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
    >
    > [[For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems�
    > section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.]]
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:6CB634AC-500E-4F16-8AD3-24F5BB9C09A2@microsoft.com,
    > roy <roy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I have lost both my cdr and cdrw that was listed in device manager.
    > > They where working Aopen burner, lg drive, I installed a modem
    > > (motorola pci56). XP pro doesnot recognize it as modem, so I removed
    > > it, now i have no cd capabilities, can't figure it out.need help.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > the problem was a pcicard install and had nothing to do with burning software, note I have nero6.0 with smartstart centre
    can I get other suggestions the registryfix you recomd does not change the
    no cdrom support or access.
    I ran norton ystemworks and in drives only the hard drive appearsstill not
    showing a "D" or "E" drive.??????? pleasehelp

    Do they show in your BIOS? Maybe a cable got knocked a little loose when inserting/removing card.
    Doesn't take much to pull a corner of a cable out, check both power and IDE cables.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "roy" <roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> This applies to XP also...
    >> Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191579
    >>

    >> Restore Missing CD Drive
    >> http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
    >>
    >> [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
    >> Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
    >> Registry references for some code modules aren't removed successfully. This
    >> patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
    >> party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
    >> http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
    >>
    >> [[For more information on this and other possible causes, see the "Problems"
    >> section of Alex Nichol's Burning CDs in Windows XP article.]]
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:6CB634AC-500E-4F16-8AD3-24F5BB9C09A2@microsoft.com,
    >> roy <roy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > I have lost both my cdr and cdrw that was listed in device manager.
    >> > They where working Aopen burner, lg drive, I installed a modem
    >> > (motorola pci56). XP pro doesnot recognize it as modem, so I removed
    >> > it, now i have no cd capabilities, can't figure it out.need help.
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> the problem was a pcicard install and had nothing to do with burning software, note I have
    >> nero6.0 with smartstart centre
    > can I get other suggestions the registryfix you recomd does not change the
    > no cdrom support or access.
    > I ran norton ystemworks and in drives only the hard drive appearsstill not
    > showing a "D" or "E" drive.??????? pleasehelp

Device Manager Modem CD-Rom Windows XP