Moving Operating System to New Hard Drive

My RAID array failed and I need to move my operating system files to a new
hard drive. I'm currently operating on the one good HD from the array.

What is the best way to move all the system and program files to the new HD?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about moving operating system hard drive

    In news:9AEE599E-BC41-4066-9B06-A0C175C2EF8E@microsoft.com,
    imearl <imearl@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > My RAID array failed and I need to move my operating system files to
    > a new hard drive. I'm currently operating on the one good HD from
    > the array.
    >
    > What is the best way to move all the system and program files to the
    > new HD?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Clone it. Your new drive should have tools for this either with the drive or
    downloadable from their site. Else something like this should do the trick.

    http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

    Galen

    "Timothy Daniels" wrote:

    > "Galen" wrote:
    > > imearl <imearl@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    > >> My RAID array failed and I need to move my operating system files to
    > >> a new hard drive. I'm currently operating on the one good HD from
    > >> the array.
    > >>
    > >> What is the best way to move all the system and program files to the
    > >> new HD?
    > >
    > > Clone it. Your new drive should have tools for this either with the drive or
    > > downloadable from their site. Else something like this should do the trick.
    > >
    > > http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm
    >

    > It's unclear from the description whether a hard drive can be cloned
    > partition by partition (that is, by logical disk) or just as an entire physical
    > drive (that is, all its partitions must be copied). If you know, would you
    > please share that with us?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Thanks for the tip Galen, I'll search the Maxtor site when my drive ships to
    me, I also downloaded the clone-maxx program and will check it out.

    Tim, I didn't know that you could partition a RAID array. Mine was not
    partitioned. I plan on rebuilding the network of drives with a RAID for my
    data files separate from the Operating files. I believe I'll be able to set
    up two arrays when I have enough HD's to match up. I doubt I'll partition
    either when that time comes.

    In news:lrydnUecafP6GqHfRVn-sA@comcast.com,
    Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> had this to say:

    > "Galen" wrote:
    >> imearl <imearl@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    >>> My RAID array failed and I need to move my operating system files to
    >>> a new hard drive. I'm currently operating on the one good HD from
    >>> the array.
    >>>
    >>> What is the best way to move all the system and program files to the
    >>> new HD?
    >>
    >> Clone it. Your new drive should have tools for this either with the
    >> drive or downloadable from their site. Else something like this
    >> should do the trick. http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm
    >

    > It's unclear from the description whether a hard drive can be
    > cloned partition by partition (that is, by logical disk) or just as
    > an entire physical drive (that is, all its partitions must be
    > copied). If you know, would you please share that with us?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I'm afraid not... From the FAQ page:

    Question: Can I also copy individual partitions with PC INSPECTOR™ clone
    maxx?

    Answer: No. PC INSPECTOR™ clone maxx only copies complete hard drives. If
    you only want to copy individual files, directories or partitions, then PC
    INSPECTOR™ clone maxx is not suitable.

    For my usage I've opted to buy and use the only worthwhile Norton product on
    the market... <g> Ghost :) Actually I use Ghost2k3 on a small specially made
    FAT32 partition to give me the ability to boot to standard floppy and clone
    every few days or after a good time of comfortable operation. I even make
    multiple clones going back a few weeks or going back as far as the original
    installation (which I never alter after that) so that I never have to
    install, activate, and install the 'normal' applications that I use.
    Unfortunately I don't know of a similar application which will support
    partitions. If I look and find one in the near future I'll post it here or
    if I find it later on it will go along with this recommendation or will be
    used instead of it.

    Galen
  4. I'm in a similar state with my current build. I installed XP to a little 40gb, I had laying around from ages ago, now that my new 1TB came in I went to transfer with both ShadowCopy and DriveImage XML. Shadow wouldn't do anything, and DriveImage after 2 hours did exactly what I didn't want to happen, it copied a 40gb hard drive to a 1tb hard drive reducing it to 40gb may usage. So, I reformatted the 1tb and tried just doing a fresh install. Well, now my Windows disc is going all crazy so, I'm back to wanting to transfer all my files, OS, etc. from the 40gb to the 1tb. Any ideas, I've considered Norton Ghost, but I've heard it will do the same thing as Shadow and DriveImage. HELP!

Hardware NAS / RAID Hard Drives HD Microsoft Windows XP