Is there any difference between a MSI MS-6156VA and a MSI ..

I want to increase the memory from 2x64mb to whatever I can --
Crucial in the UK sells 128mb modules for the MSI MS-6156, will those work
in our MSI MS-6156VA?

Or is there something better? 2z128mb is better than we have, but not
terribly exciting. Next summer, a new PC, but we want this to last
another year.

Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:12:15 +0100, Doug Weller
<dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

>I want to increase the memory from 2x64mb to whatever I can --
>Crucial in the UK sells 128mb modules for the MSI MS-6156, will those work
>in our MSI MS-6156VA?
>
>Or is there something better? 2z128mb is better than we have, but not
>terribly exciting. Next summer, a new PC, but we want this to last
>another year.
>
>Thanks
>Doug

Any bog standard 168 pin SDRAM module will work. I reckon the only
difference between the two mobos is that the VA means it has a VIA
chipset. The memory would be interchangeable between the two.
Just make sure you match the memory speed to your FSB speed. If
you're not sure, the best thing to do would be to purchase PC133 which
should work for all FSB speeds. And get unbuffered, non-parity.

Any of the 168 pin modules on this page that say unbuffered,
non-parity will work:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=SDRAM&tabid=SDRAM%2C+PC133

And since there's no price difference between the CL2 and CL3 modules,
go with the CL2 (slightly faster).

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:48:12 -0400, in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar, Folk wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:12:15 +0100, Doug Weller
><dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I want to increase the memory from 2x64mb to whatever I can --
>>Crucial in the UK sells 128mb modules for the MSI MS-6156, will those work
>>in our MSI MS-6156VA?
>>
>>Or is there something better? 2z128mb is better than we have, but not
>>terribly exciting. Next summer, a new PC, but we want this to last
>>another year.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Doug
>
>Any bog standard 168 pin SDRAM module will work. I reckon the only
>difference between the two mobos is that the VA means it has a VIA
>chipset. The memory would be interchangeable between the two.
>Just make sure you match the memory speed to your FSB speed. If
>you're not sure, the best thing to do would be to purchase PC133 which
>should work for all FSB speeds. And get unbuffered, non-parity.
>
>Any of the 168 pin modules on this page that say unbuffered,
>non-parity will work:
>
>http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=SDRAM&tabid=SDRAM%2C+PC133
>
>And since there's no price difference between the CL2 and CL3 modules,
>go with the CL2 (slightly faster).

Thanks very much. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
I got 2 128mb memory modules from Crucial after running the Crucial scan.
Both work. But not at the same time! With both in at the same time I get
the beep pause beep. Take one out, no problem. Move it around, no problem,
check to make sure both work, no problem. Finally leave one in, put back
one of the old 65mb ones, no problem again!

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:40:15 +0100, Doug Weller
<dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:48:12 -0400, in
>alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar, Folk wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:12:15 +0100, Doug Weller
>><dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to increase the memory from 2x64mb to whatever I can --
>>>Crucial in the UK sells 128mb modules for the MSI MS-6156, will those work
>>>in our MSI MS-6156VA?
>>>
>>>Or is there something better? 2z128mb is better than we have, but not
>>>terribly exciting. Next summer, a new PC, but we want this to last
>>>another year.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Doug
>>
>>Any bog standard 168 pin SDRAM module will work. I reckon the only
>>difference between the two mobos is that the VA means it has a VIA
>>chipset. The memory would be interchangeable between the two.
>>Just make sure you match the memory speed to your FSB speed. If
>>you're not sure, the best thing to do would be to purchase PC133 which
>>should work for all FSB speeds. And get unbuffered, non-parity.
>>
>>Any of the 168 pin modules on this page that say unbuffered,
>>non-parity will work:
>>
>>http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=SDRAM&tabid=SDRAM%2C+PC133
>>
>>And since there's no price difference between the CL2 and CL3 modules,
>>go with the CL2 (slightly faster).
>
>Thanks very much. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
>I got 2 128mb memory modules from Crucial after running the Crucial scan.
>Both work. But not at the same time! With both in at the same time I get
>the beep pause beep. Take one out, no problem. Move it around, no problem,
>check to make sure both work, no problem. Finally leave one in, put back
>one of the old 65mb ones, no problem again!
>
>Doug

Doug,

I had the same problem with a KT6 Delta mb. Wouldn't run 2 x 512
matched Mushkin blue. Either one by itself fine, two together no go.
Tried all the slot combinations, still no luck. Switched to Corsair
value select 2 x 512, runs great! AND the Mushkin runs fine on a Soyo
mb.
I know it's not much help, just my experience.

Gollum

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:05:34 GMT, in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar, Gollum wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:40:15 +0100, Doug Weller
><dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:48:12 -0400, in
>>alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar, Folk wrote:

>>>Any bog standard 168 pin SDRAM module will work. I reckon the only
>>>difference between the two mobos is that the VA means it has a VIA
>>>chipset. The memory would be interchangeable between the two.
>>>Just make sure you match the memory speed to your FSB speed. If
>>>you're not sure, the best thing to do would be to purchase PC133 which
>>>should work for all FSB speeds. And get unbuffered, non-parity.
>>>
>>>Any of the 168 pin modules on this page that say unbuffered,
>>>non-parity will work:
>>>
>>>http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=SDRAM&tabid=SDRAM%2C+PC133
>>>
>>>And since there's no price difference between the CL2 and CL3 modules,
>>>go with the CL2 (slightly faster).
>>
>>Thanks very much. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
>>I got 2 128mb memory modules from Crucial after running the Crucial scan.
>>Both work. But not at the same time! With both in at the same time I get
>>the beep pause beep. Take one out, no problem. Move it around, no problem,
>>check to make sure both work, no problem. Finally leave one in, put back
>>one of the old 65mb ones, no problem again!
>>
>>Doug
>
>Doug,
>
>I had the same problem with a KT6 Delta mb. Wouldn't run 2 x 512
>matched Mushkin blue. Either one by itself fine, two together no go.
>Tried all the slot combinations, still no luck. Switched to Corsair
>value select 2 x 512, runs great! AND the Mushkin runs fine on a Soyo
>mb.
>I know it's not much help, just my experience.

still nice to know it happens to others. My problem is I don't know what
other memory is compatible and that I can get in the UK!
She'll just have to wait until she can get a new PC running Vista I think.
:)

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Hi,
Doug Weller schrieb:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:05:34 GMT, in
> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar, Gollum wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:40:15 +0100, Doug Weller
> ><dweller@ramtops.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
> >>I got 2 128mb memory modules from Crucial after running the Crucial scan.
> >>Both work. But not at the same time! With both in at the same time I get
> >>the beep pause beep. Take one out, no problem. Move it around, no problem,
> >>check to make sure both work, no problem. Finally leave one in, put back
> >>one of the old 65mb ones, no problem again!

You should try memory that is certified to be compatible with Intel
BX-chipsets, although you are running the VIA version of that
mainboard. This has something to do with the internal organisation of
the module.

> >I had the same problem with a KT6 Delta mb. [...]
>
> still nice to know it happens to others. My problem is I don't know what
> other memory is compatible and that I can get in the UK!

BX-compatible RAM should work.
Standards are created in order to be violated by the manufacturers;-)

regards,
Michael

TRENDING THREADS