SATA not detected in linux - MSI RS480M2-IL

Hi,

I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.

Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Nithin George

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:06:35 +0530, "Nithin"
<nithin.george@in.bosch.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
>motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
>Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
>and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.
>
>Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
>rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
>Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
>detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>Regards,
>Nithin George

Did you check to see if the BIOS recognises the SATA drive?

see tthis
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

HTH
Gollum

Nithin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
> motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
> Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
> and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.
>
> Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
> rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
> Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
> detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Regards,
> Nithin George

i don't think any linux distro support (or even official kernel) sata
provided by ATI SB400 chipset yet. look for libata driver set see if
this chipset sata driver been included already or not. nevertheless it
will be difficult to install any linux distro natively. as secondary
drive then easier as u can install linux on pata drive first later
compile the driver later (if u manage to find) then only plug in the
sata drive.

terry

TRENDING THREADS