SATA not detected in linux - MSI RS480M2-IL

Hi,

I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.

Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Nithin George
2 answers Last reply
More about sata detected linux rs480m2

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:06:35 +0530, "Nithin"
    <nithin.george@in.bosch.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
    >motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
    >Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
    >and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.
    >
    >Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
    >rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
    >Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
    >detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?
    >
    >Thanks in advance...
    >
    >Regards,
    >Nithin George

    Did you check to see if the BIOS recognises the SATA drive?

    see tthis
    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

    HTH
    Gollum
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Nithin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was trying to install linux on my machine which has a MSI RS 480M2-IL
    > motherboard with a 3000+ AMD Athlon 64 and having a 80GB SATA harddisk.
    > Inspite of multiple attempts Linux is not able to detect my SATA harddisk
    > and I end up having to install linux into my rather small PATA harddisk.
    >
    > Could someone suggest what I must do to resolve this problem. Since I am
    > rather new to Linux myself I would appreciate some details in the reply.
    > Also is there some specific distribution of Linux which would be able to
    > detect the SATA harddisk on installation itself...?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nithin George

    i don't think any linux distro support (or even official kernel) sata
    provided by ATI SB400 chipset yet. look for libata driver set see if
    this chipset sata driver been included already or not. nevertheless it
    will be difficult to install any linux distro natively. as secondary
    drive then easier as u can install linux on pata drive first later
    compile the driver later (if u manage to find) then only plug in the
    sata drive.

    terry

MSI-Microstar SATA Hard Drives Linux Motherboards