Help!Malware Problem

A malware program advertising spyware has taken over my
desktop.I've tried a system restore several times but it
always returns.There is also a a small yellow triangle in
the toolbar constantly launching a reminder that my
computer is infected.Short of formating the drive is
there anything I can do?Thanks...Joe
2 answers Last reply
More about help malware problem

    Joe

    Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

    First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
    Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools..

    HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
    download here..

    CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

    About:blank.. http://lunatic-skydance.de/mr/soft/SpoonWeg.exe

    For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
    bookmark it..

    http://www.pchell.com

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com

    http://www.symantec.com

    http://www.zonealarm.com

    http://www.kerio.com

    http://www.gate.com

    http://www.grisoft.com

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Joe
    >

    > Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..
    >

    > First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that
    > McAfee Stinger works for people.. download and run it..
    >

    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >

    > You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and
    > Adaware are available at these websites.. both are free.. download
    > and run them.. don't forget to check for updates after you have
    > started them..
    >

    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    >

    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >

    > ... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..
    >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >

    > Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for
    > this function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check
    > for updates..
    >

    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
    >

    > If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you
    > get redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will
    > need different tools..
    >

    > HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..
    >

    > http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html
    >

    > CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
    > download here..
    >

    > CWShredder..
    > http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
    >

    > About:blank.. http://lunatic-skydance.de/mr/soft/SpoonWeg.exe
    >

    > For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
    > bookmark it..
    >

    > http://www.pchell.com
    >

    > You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some
    > links for you..
    >

    > http://www.mcafee.com
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com
    >
    > http://www.zonealarm.com
    >
    > http://www.kerio.com
    >
    > http://www.gate.com

    > http://www.grisoft.com
    >

    > Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only
    > way that helpers here can determine how effective the advice given
    > has been..
    >

    > Good luck..
    >

    > "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> A malware program advertising spyware has taken over my
    >> desktop.I've tried a system restore several times but it
    >> always returns.There is also a a small yellow triangle in
    >> the toolbar constantly launching a reminder that my
    >> computer is infected.Short of formating the drive is
    >> there anything I can do?Thanks...Joe

    Nice summary, Joe.

Malware Windows XP